GO 500- Random Disconnections on Surface 3 Pro — TomTom Community

GO 500- Random Disconnections on Surface 3 Pro

techguy378techguy378 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
edited January 2019 in MyDrive Connect
I have a TomTom GO 500 GPS unit and I seem to have come across a very peculiar problem. Recently bought a Surface 3 Pro. When I start downloading updates through MyDrive I keep getting a message stating to make sure my TomTom unit is connected about 5 seconds after the download begins. If I unplug and reconnect the USB cable to my TomTom GPS unit then MyDrive will resume downloading updates and disconnect after about 5 seconds. I'm using the USB cable supplied by TomTom in the box. This also happened on my Late 2013 Macbook Pro if I did updates with Windows 8.1 Pro. I did not experience any connectivity problems under Mac OS X Yosemite. I have an older HP laptop with an Intel ICH7 chipset running Windows 8.1 Pro. I experienced the same connectivity issues regardless of whether I was using the laptop's USB 3 or USB 2.0 ports. Is there some sort of issue in Windows 8.1 that's causing connectivity issues with MyDrive and the TomTom GO 500?

Comments

• MikkoKMikkoK Posts: 23,905 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi techguy378,

Unfortunately, MyDrive Connect is not supported on Surface3 Pro.

Cheers, Mikko
  • techguy378techguy378 Posts: 10 [Legendary Explorer]
    MyDrive is supported on other Windows PC's that have identical hardware. Can I ask what makes the Surface 3 Pro special? The Surface 3 Pro is no different than a Macbook Pro that's running Windows. You are aware I'm referring to the Intel-based Surface 3 Pro and not the ARM based Surface 3 RT right?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 19,623
    Superusers
    Hi

Welcome to the site

Try... http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-fix-annoying-windows-usb-problem.htm

Also, Try... http://blogs.msdn.com/b/usbcoreblog/

I recall reading something about the USB ports not being fully implemented on the Surface Tablets but that may be the ARM-based Surface devices ???

ATB YFM
    The Surface 3 Pro does not have the USB Selective Suspend option in the Power Options. Microsoft removed all power profiles except for Balanced. They also hid many of the advanced power settings you'd typically find on other Windows PC's including the USB Selective Suspend option. The strange thing is, even though MyDrive says my TomTom GPS unit is disconnected if I go into Device Manager then TomTom still shows up under Network Adapters. If I double click on the TomTom network adapter Windows says the device is functioning normally as far as it's concerned. The USB Selective Suspend may be the problem, but I'm not sure how to access this setting on the Surface 3 Pro.
    I did look at that. The article refers to an issue with the USBSTOR.SYS driver though which is used for USB mass storage devices. Newer TomTom GPS units such as the GO 500 no longer show as a mass storage device in Windows. They show as a network adapter and there is no way to manually access the file system on the GPS unit through Windows Explorer, for example. Do you know how to disable USB Selective Suspend on the Surface Pro 3? Perhaps through the registry? This option is completely different than the Suspend On Idle option mention in the article you referenced.
    Nevermind. Apparently on the Surface 3 Pro, Connected Standby is the culprit. I disabled this in the registry and all of the familiar power options returned. It does appear that USB Selective Suspend is the primary cause of MyDrive issues in Windows. I also disabled the Selective Suspend option and now MyDrive works like a charm. Perhaps TomTom may want to post something to their support section about disabling USB Selective Suspend and if need be Connected Standby if the computer in question supports it. Apparently my old Late 2013 Macbook had no equivalent option for USB Selective Suspend as this issue did not occur in Mac OS X Mavericks or Yosemite.
    Superusers
    Hi

Glad to hear your up and running

Is it possible to write up your "Fix" to help other users ???

ATB YFM
    Hi techguy378,<br /><br />I'm glad to hear you got it sorted! :D<br /><br />And thanks for posting the solution. I'll certainly forward this to our technicians. :D<br /><br />Cheers, Mikko
    Sure. At the Windows desktop right click on the start button and click Run. Type "regedit" and hit enter. When the registry editor opens up go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE > SYSTEM > CurrentControlSet > Control > Power. On the right pane double click on CsEnabled and change the value from 1 to 0 and click OK. Then reboot your computer. After it reboots then from the desktop right click on the start menu and click on Power Options. Click on Change Plan Settings next to Balanced (or whatever profile you're using). Click on Change advanced power settings. Go to USB settings > USB selective suspend setting. Change this to Disabled and click OK. You should now be good to go. The USB selective suspend setting appears to be the number one cause of random disconnects on any and all TomTom devices, even older ones that use TomTom Home software. I should note that for Surface 3 Pro users at least you will have to give up Connected Standby if you want to use a TomTom GPS unit with this computer. If you reenable Connected Standby then the USB selective suspend feature will be turned back on. This means you sacrifice things like the alarm clock feature in Windows 8.1. I'm not sure if this affects other Windows laptops with Connected Standby support.
    Superusers
    Hi techguy378

Thanks I've bookmarked the fix for future use

ATB YFM
  • nicklucknickluck Posts: 38 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    You don't need to disable Connected Standby altogether to be able to modify the "USB selective suspend"If you open regedit and navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPowerPowerSettings2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a348e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226 (Make sure its description ends with ".....UsbPowerSelSupDescription")You just need to add the DWORD "Attributes" and give it value "2".  Once you restart the Surface, the selective suspend will appear again in the power options. Another additional tweak would be to duplicate the power plan:  name it "TomTom" and only for this plan change the USB Selective Suspend setting. This way you can leave Connected Standby always enabled and just switch to the proper settings when you need to connect your TomTom. Nicola
    Hi Nick,

Thanks for sharing your tip!

I talked to our technicians about this and they said the following should result in the same:

- In the control panel, look for Power Options.
    - Click on Change Plan settings, then Advanced Power Settings.
    - Go to USB Settings, USB Selective suspend setting.
    - Change it to 'disabled'.

We're looking into this in order to be able to provide more information about Surface 3 Pro support. I'll keep you posted.

Cheers, Mikko

Edit: The advise here comes from http://everythingsurface.org/4-ways-to-solve-your-windows-8-1-surface-pro-wi-fi-issues
    Hi Mikkok,

the problem is that on the Surface Pro 3 that settings are hidden, hence you need the regedit trick to make them visible again.

This is default:

41046i4CE28664BA568F9E.png

This after the registry modification:

41047i37FFF6CE04FC5860.png

Nicola
    Hi Nicola,<br /><br />I see. That would indeed make it difficult for us to support it. Registry editing is too advanced and risky to be officially supported.<br /><br />But thanks for the headsup! I'll forward this to our technicians.<br /><br />Cheers, Mikko
    Mikkok,

this change is extremely safe (actually safer than what is suggested by the support team) as it only makes one setting visible.

Than, it is the support team to suggest to change its default value... :p

I have created a small .reg file to automatically add the value in registry, so no one would need to mess around with registry editor manually. If you want, I can send it to you so that support team can have a look at it. Just tell how I could attach it.

Nicola
    Hi Nicola,<br /><br />Whether the settings I referred to are hidden or not seems to be OS specific. I added a link to page where the same is advised without any mention that the settings would be hidden.<br /><br />The registry change itself might well be safe but the process to do it carries to many risks for our support to ask people to do.<br /><br />Cheers, Mikko
    Mikkok, I was joking.

But considering the risks involved in using the registry editor and the minimum skills required to do it, I proposed to use the .reg file.

By using it, users would just need to double click on it, accept the proposed change and restart the Surface.

Of course support team would need to validate it first.

I paste below the content of it:

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINESYSTEMCurrentControlSetControlPowerPowerSettings2a737441-1930-4402-8d77-b2bebba308a348e6b7a6-50f5-4782-a5d4-53bb8f07e226]
    "Attributes"=dword:00000002 Any other user might feel free to create a text file with extension .reg and use the code.

Nicola
    Superusers
    Hi

+1 Bookmarked for future use

ATB YFM 
  • GonTePeGonTePe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi all!!!
    Yesterday i try to update my tomtom Go 500 in my new Surface pro 3, and i can´t get it because the device disconnects every 30 seconds.

I follow the step by step instructions in order to disable "USB selective suspend setting". No problem doing that.

Once is done, i get the same issue i getting before, i mean tomtom is disconnected every 30 seconds.

Is it necessary to modify any other parameter in the power saving profile???

thank you guys.
    GonTePe wrote:
    Hi all!!!
    Yesterday i try to update my tomtom Go 500 in my new Surface pro 3, and i can´t get it because the device disconnects every 30 seconds.

I follow the step by step instructions in order to disable "USB selective suspend setting". No problem doing that.

Once is done, i get the same issue i getting before, i mean tomtom is disconnected every 30 seconds.

Is it necessary to modify any other parameter in the power saving profile???

thank you guys.
    Hi GonTePe, did you restart your surface after you applied the reg tweak?

Nicola
  • GonTePeGonTePe Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Hi nickluck,
    I restart my surface several times and the result was the same...

I´ve got the surface pro 3 with the touch cover, I don´t know if it can affect or not...

Anyway i finish my tomtom upgrade with an old Laptop that don´t give me any problem...

I hope next time my Surface Pro works fine, with the new POWER PROFILE with the "USB selective suspend setting".

Thanks nickluck,
    Gontepe
  • ChewbakkerChewbakker Posts: 2 [Apprentice Traveler]
    Did anyone resolve this as I have the same issue? I have allowed "TomTom MyDrive Connect" through the Windows 10 Firewall as I talked to support and they told me it was a Firewall issue. I have disabled USB Suspend. I am using a Surface Pro 3 with Windows 10.
    Hi all!
    I have resolved this issue.
    I also narrowed it down to only being related to ConnectedStandby, so no need to fiddle with USB settings.
    I am using 2 small registry files to disable and re-enable CS.
    Unfortunately I can't attach them but you can create them yourself.
    Create one text file with name "before_tomtom_upgrade.reg" (really important the reg extension!)
    copy below text in it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
    "CsEnabled"=dword:00000000

Create a second file with name "after_tomtom_upgrade.reg" (really important the reg extension!)
    copy below text in it:

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Power]
    "CsEnabled"=dword:00000001

Now the steps to upgrade your TomTom with your SP3 are:
    1. double click the "before_tomtom_upgrade.reg"
    2. confirm the warning
    3. restart your SP3
    4. upgrade the TomTom
    5. double click the "after_tomtom_upgrade.reg"
    6. restart your SP3
  • PioneerjustyPioneerjusty Posts: 4 [Apprentice Traveler]
    I have exactly the same problem but I don't know how to do it. I am too thick to know what you mean. I can do regedit, but don't understand what to do then...