TomTom- No GPS Signal 2019 | Week Number Roll-Over | TIMER Reset 00.00 | Error-"You cannot use this map"

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1112782/tomtom-no-gps-signal-2019#latest

GO 500 General Advice Please

TaupoTaupo Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
edited December 2018 in Archived Discussions
After reading a few posts I am getting very confused. The GO500 seems to have significant problems compared to earlier models ...

For instance - does the GO 500 have pre-loaded POI's (eg campsites; parking; cash mashines; supermarkets etc.) or do you have to do a word search?

I rented an old Tom Tom about 3 years ago in Europe and it not only had all these it made animal noises when you got close to one. (Quite useful actually once I realised what the hell it was doing as it came with no instructions!) (Anyone know what that model would have been?)

I will be buying it in NZ so I can get familiar with it then using it for a European trip as it is - amazingly - cheaper to buy one here than rent one over there.  So whatever I buy needs to be able to have enough memory for an all-Europe map (Croatia; Italy; Switzerland; Germany; Austria; Czech Republic; France) so I can either download them to replace to provided NZ/Aussie ones or I guess something with a micro SD slot would be the best option.

So - back to the GO 500 - Can you pre-load different itineraries and store them?  I would like to do a few days at a time.

If I am not that bothered about live traffic (being in holiday mode) should I be looking at a different model?  

My LOCAL purchase options are: GO 500, GO50, GO60,  VIA 225, VIA 280, VIA 620, XXL550, with my priority being lots of different pre-loaded POI's; enough memory for Europe; multi-itinerary storage.

All and any advice would be most useful.  Thanks. 

Comments

• MadboyMadboy Posts: 1,785 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi there

The Tom Tom you are talking about with the animal noises is the GO950 Live, I still have that one.

Ok into the 500. It has some POI's installed but I can't tell you about campsites etc.

Yes you can load itineraries and save them to "My Routes".

You can install another map, if you get a 8gb micro SD card class 10 then you can have both maps installed at the same time.

If you don't like having to unscrew the Tom Tom every time then don't go lower than a 500. The 500 had the magnetic mount which is excellent. I also have a GO400 (renamed GO40) and the screw suction is a pain, however, if you don't mind that, then that's an even cheaper option.

Best regards

Madboy
  • MadboyMadboy Posts: 1,785 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I forgot to say, if you ask one of us guys in Europe to see if a POI is on the Tom Tom just ask away and we will look for you.
  • TaupoTaupo Posts: 16 [Outstanding Explorer]
    Hi Madboy that's very useful. Thankyou.

I think I will probably end up going for the 500 as it is on offer at the moment for 125 pounds - with a free European Map download - and I do like the idea of the 3D view for cities instead of just the birds eye view.

Will see if I can find out a bit more about the POI's somewhere too ....
  • SoloSolo Posts: 3 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Hi, maybe it's me ... did purchase an Go 500 2 days ago, biggest mistake I've done in years wrt H/W refresh!

Have an still functioning Go630 (only done an battery swap & refresh of mount unit) that's superior almost in every aspect.

Compared to the Go 630, my personal pro's - con's are:

* Ok, the magnetic mount is really nifty, and the touch screen is nice, but.....

* POI's: Never liked the idea of big brother telling me what to listen to, doesn't get better when BB is wrong either... (did try the built in db twice today: one was totally wrong - address is changed since more than one year ago, second did some really odd rounting just to direct me to the wrong side of building!! Tried to correct the POI, didn't even understand how to accomplish that...)

* Customisation - forget it!  (It did even manage to get an Linux shell prompt on my Go630 years ago - completly useless, but what a whaw factor on my tech buddies!!) Today you can't even get a map colour scheme of my like, not to mention personal alarm sound for POI's, at specified distance.

* POI's visible on the map, don't know how to do that on my brand new unit. Though, TT claim it's a really loaded db.... have no idea since I can't really see them on my map.

* Route via address of you choice, don't know how to do that on the new unit - TT gives you 3 alterantives of their choice, that's it!  If I wan't Google Maps, Y should I purchase an TT??
    * I'm so dissapointed, how in earth did you loose al that really good GUI stuff you hade on the old devices of your choice,
    * Did I say POI's, whos idea was it to skip this feature??
    * Live Traffic. yeah... but it's rather useless when data is outdated, did travel "warning" roads today where construction work was finished weeks ago!
    * POI's: Why should I buy an GPS that can't manage POI's? Couln't imagine that this feature was removed on an new unit!
      (add $50 to compensate,or whatever... just skip that internal db since TT can't really be aware on every individauls interest)

Lucky for me is that I have an 10 day "test" period for my purchase, sure I'm going to return the G0500 asap.
    Most personal issue is TT not getting the POI stuff in place, don't think it's coming within reasonable time for me, sight!

I'm really so dissapointed, how in earth did you loose all that really good GUI stuff and customizations you hade on the old devices??
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online96

berna43
berna43
Chimney
Chimney
DougLap
DougLap
hajuezie
hajuezie
Hans Buechel
Hans Buechel