No longer able to upload .fit files to Garmin

OllyCincalOllyCincal Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
edited January 28 in Archived Discussions
Since the last major update at the start of April, I am unable to upload .fit files to Garmin's connect.

I get the following message when I upload the file:

image An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

Has anyone else had this? Any idea for fixes?

At present, I am unable to log into the Tomtom Mysports website (ever since the last update) as well. As a result, I have no way to access my heart rate information - strava, mapmyfitness etc all charge for access to the heart rate info in any detail. 

This is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks

Comments

• NeilT66NeilT66 Posts: 110 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I also noticed that .fit files cause errors now - I suspect that Tomtom's export function is broken since the last update.

You can re-export as .tcx files and upload those instead.
  • hkontrohkontro Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    Yes, I have the same issue. It used to work ,and now after the new update, it doesn't. I get the same error message as you.

I want to see my lap splits, but they are not visible in TomTom Mysport and also not directly in the watch. The only way I have managed to see them is to import the data to Garmin Connect.

Please TomTom people, getting lap times after a workout is a pretty essential feature of a running watch. Basic stopwatches 30 years ago could give you that.
  • marbromarbro Posts: 7 [Legendary Explorer]
    I believe the issue is with Garmin, although the errors started around the latest update, which made me believe it was TomTom too.

I did some tests and the .fit files can still be uploaded to other sites such as Strava, and when I tried to upload some older fit files that I was able to upload in the past they were now rejected by Garmin Connect as well. I also analysed the .fit files with some free software http://garmin.kiesewetter.nl/ and although there are some lines identified as suspicious in general they seemed to be ok. I imported most of my runs as .gpx files and that worked (no heart rate) in most cases, but not all.

But given the fact that there doesn't seem to be many complaints on the Garmin website it might be that Garmin got less forgiving with the .fit files and that there are some issues with the files generated by TomTom.
  • tfarabaughtfarabaugh Posts: 15,451 Superusers
    OllyCincal wrote:
    Since the last major update at the start of April, I am unable to upload .fit files to Garmin's connect.

I get the following message when I upload the file:

image An error occurred with your upload. Please try again.

Has anyone else had this? Any idea for fixes?

At present, I am unable to log into the Tomtom Mysports website (ever since the last update) as well. As a result, I have no way to access my heart rate information - strava, mapmyfitness etc all charge for access to the heart rate info in any detail. 

This is very frustrating. Any ideas?

Thanks

Not sure what is the root cause (a change in TomTom's export or Garmin's import) but you can simply upload a .tcx file instead, which has the same data. Select .tcx in the Upload & Export tab and then double click the .ttbin file for the selected activity to export the new files. You can then import them into Garmin (either individually or in bulk).
  • NeilT66NeilT66 Posts: 110 [Supreme Trailblazer]
    I can confirm that Garmin Connect has changed in some way.

I went back to a .fit file that I know I previously upoaded oK, and that now causes the same error when attempting to upload.

tfarabaugh and I had some discussion a few weeks back and I concluded that the .tcx files seemed to give more accurate results in Garmin Connect than the .fit files. That is why I moved to uploading .tcx instead.
  • OllyCincalOllyCincal Posts: 4 [Neophyte Traveler]
    Wow. 

Thanks so much for all the help people. I really appreciate it - what a great community!

I've changed my auto-export settings to tcx. 

Thanks all!
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online61

c-a-r-l-o-s
c-a-r-l-o-s
KevinHP8
KevinHP8
landie
landie
Tubi
Tubi
+57 Guests