Map Share Reporter tool - an update and a thank you.

DitteDitte Posts: 7,280 Retired Community Managers and Staff
edited January 23 in Archived Discussions
Hi everyone,

Thank you all for your excellent feedback!

The Map Share Reporter Tool was released in July 2011 and weve come a long way since then. As youve seen yourself its an easy, fast and simple way of notifying us about the unique changes that happen around you. Thanks to your valuable contributions were updating the maps at a rapid pace.

Since July 2011 weve reached a number of milestones:
  • A dedicated forum for Map quality related questions answered by our very own Shorty.
  • 50.000 reports created so far.
  • A number of you have submitted 500 or more corrections.
  • North American reports are closed in 7 days!
  • Western European reports are closed in 11 days!

There are and will always be exceptional cases; However we are targeted on an average closure rate of 15 days for 90% of the reports coming in day by day.

But we want more! Your dedicated country experts will be on top of it, so keep creating reports and tell your friends. Were fully committed to work away the volumes and improve the maps accordingly.

Thank you,

The Map Share reporter Team.

Comments

• philm13philm13 Posts: 52 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Ditte

this is wonderful - for everyone except built-in Carminat Live users who have not had Mapshare working since February - that's coming on for 3 months now. How much longer is TomTom going to be discriminating against us and treating us as second-class customers?
  • dhndhn Posts: 33,057 Superusers
    Nobody with a Nav3 device is getting mapshare updates.
  • mvlmvl Posts: 3,150 Superusers
    Thousands more customers have been using device-based mapshare for years, with no feedback on reports, and a much slower response/turnaround time on actual fixes.

Tomtom should integrate device-based mapshare with the website system, so that any reported mapshare edits on devices feed this web-based mapshare reporter tool automatically and immediately for the same email account, and get addressed with the same 15-day target turnaround.
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,792 Superusers
    And vice-versa would also be nice; that all reports made on the MSR are also directly applied on the map installed on the device (with the exception of new roads and roundabouts etc. of course). 
  • togtog Posts: 9 [Legendary Explorer]
    I've just had a look at the Reporter for the first time. Why did I bother! Following instructions;

Click Report a map change. - there's no button.

Click and hold the green pushpin icon. - there's no icon.

I'm really disappointed with TomTom :-(  Everything I look at doesn't work properly.
  • ShortyShorty Posts: 1,098 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Hi Phil - I strongly doubt it's a question of treating an owner as a second class citizen & most certainly not discrimination.  I do agree with your sentiment though since that is what you (and I in the same situation) will feel - being left out on a limb as it were.  I'm going to add this as an addendum to the long list of members MSR suggestions for improvement but also ask the same question on your behalf.
    Tog, most probably it's a browser problem. Which browser are you using? Try Internet Explorer, or Firefox for example. I think that will solve the problem. Also, are you logged in to the Map Share Reporter website? You need to login in order to report corrections.
    Good Day Tog

This is what you should see as the opening MSR page (once you have logged in).  The report fields are unfortunately still very limited (Yes, I agree these should have been expanded by now - the list of suggestions is IN and I'm going to be pushing as hard as I can for implementation.  I'm not looking for a bag of items to be announced, but the recommendations should simply appear as and when completed - including beta testing of course)  Due this limitation, if what you wish to report is not covered by any one of the fields then one has to resort to the "Other" Field.  The relevant Content Ops team will re-classify these "Other" reports as part of the verification process.

2857i443B416A5FF39F79.jpg

The orange buttons btw show reports I've made and if one hovers over these one should see the ID for that individual report item.

Once you have clicked a button the pin will show, greyed out.  As you zoom in, to locate your report accurately the pin will change colour to green whereupon you will be able to drag and place it in the map (the zoom level is also too coarse at the moment and a change is one of the recommendations for improvement).  If you click on the square to the right of the zoom bar you can use that to select a square one the zone you wish to have open - I find this to be more useful than using the slider because that holds the map on your area of interest.

2859i9EC4317EC3DB1429.jpg
    Shorty

excuse me while I pick myself up off the floor: it's not often I get a response from a TomTom employee. It's been 3 months for Mapshare, 5 months for French danger zones (every other manufacturer got it out to customers in time), I don't know how many months the speed limit has been mis-reported when you're on a planned journey (km/mph confusion) etc etc - see http://discussions.tomtom.com/t5/Built-in-car-navigation/Built-in-TomToms/td-p/185631 for a fuller discussion.

Oh, if only it were just Mapshare. Please don't put it on a list - TT has been doing that for the times listed above.

I don't just feel I'm a second class customer - I know I am. I've paid the same as everyone else for Live Services and considerably more for a built-in unit than for a hand-held PND - but I continue to have a limited service compared to other customers.

And, of course, there are hundreds more like me out there.

If you value your job, I'd do a little bit more than putting it on a list - you won't have any customers left if you continue to ignore us.
  • kandk920kandk920 Posts: 41 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    North American reports closed in 7 days????? REALLY???

Check out this one, 4146cbfe-6aaf-102f-8665-e83f81ca73e1 open since Nov 27, 2011 and a few others from that time frame. Give me a break.
  • drrrldrrrl Posts: 39 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Ditte wrote:
    [...] Since July 2011 weve reached a number of milestones:
    There are and will always be exceptional cases; However we are targeted on an average closure rate of 15 days for 90% of the reports coming in day by day.

But we want more! Your dedicated country experts will be on top of it, so keep creating reports and tell your friends. Were fully committed to work away the volumes and improve the maps accordingly.
    Ditte, this is good news! However, could you tell what is the current statistics for report closure in Central and Easter Europe, and is your target of average closure rate of 15 days for 90% of report valid for all 90%+ covered countries or just for above mentioned US/Western Europe?

I'm asking because since Mar 21st to May 7th I submitted 64 reports for Poland, most of them in major cities (Warszawa, Krakow) or major roads, and till now only 5 of them have been closed (accepted), all the rest is still in Pending state. In many cases, when possible, I added a comment with link to Google Maps, Google Street View, targeo.pl (really good maps for Poland) or other references just to help Map team to verify the correction, which I believed should speed up the process.

--
    TT GO Live 1005
    You can always send me a list of your submissions and I would hunt there current status down.  If they need further information I'll ask that you be contacted for further detail. 

_______________________________________________________________________________________________

Quote:

I'm asking because since Mar 21st to May 7th I submitted 64 reports for Poland, most of them in major cities (Warszawa, Krakow) or major roads, and till now only 5 of them have been closed (accepted), all the rest is still in Pending state. In many cases, when possible, I added a comment with link to Google Maps, Google Street View, targeo.pl (really good maps for Poland) or other references just to help Map team to verify the correction, which I believed should speed up the process.

______________________________________________________________________________________

It's all good and well quoting sources of map information, I've said it before, unless we have a data-relationship with said suppler, that other data is "out-of-line" for us 

There's,a very simple solution - send me the ID's for the reports and I'll send then to the relevant production unit

Easy-Pease:D
    Too bad you do not treat Poland as Western Europe - I have 14 pending now, the oldest being from 7th of March (!!!), which is 77 (seventy seven) days. It's 11x slower than in NA and 7x slower than in WE. Great!
  • drrrldrrrl Posts: 39 [Prominent Wayfarer]
    Hi Shorty,

thank you, I appreciate your help and I will send you PM with the IDs in the evening.

However you must admit, that sending you IDs each time the (important) correction is delayed, is not the enterprise level solution. I would rather understand if Ditte's announcement about improving MSR corrections closure times relates to Central and Eastern Europe (at least for countries with 90+% coverage) as well, and if not, if TomTom plan to improve correction closure rate for these countries in some near future.

--
    TT GO Live 1005
  • TomTomistaTomTomista Posts: 224 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Hi community,

today I have little bit time in following the discussions and also read with great interests this blog.

I fully believe in Ditte, but, I cannot really imagine, these figured times really would work. I am in personal contact with the local TomTom-team in Austria/CEE and know something about their job. And the guys are doing a great job.

I, by myself, placed several harder critical mails about this point within this forum and will do it - if necessary - in future, too, but, we also should be fair enough to see the main point of these MSRs. Due the guys cannot implant all the MSRs "blue-eyed" into the map, they need some time for re-check. Actually about 20 Millions TomTom are placed around the globe. I will not show the figures of MSRs of my community and me, but, if we are calculating with about 10% with just one map correction, they have to handle 2 million corrections, daily. If we are reducing the simple MSRs like speeds, POIs etc, which You can see into Your map at once, I believe, they have to handle not less than about 7-800.000 MSRs, daily. Even they have splitted up and / or outsourced to all fife continents, there are about 150.000 corrections each continent daily. I fully agree, 9 to 12 months are too long. They should find a solution within an acceptable period of up to max 6 months. It wouldn't be (map)heaven on earth, but an acceptable time.

I naturally know all arguments, Google e.g.., is faster, quicker and what else. Testifying several times both systems together at trips within my area (CEE) we simply must note, it is not true. They also need their time for corrections, or, are also cooking with water.

Brgds      
    Tomtomista

TomTom XXL IQ Routes Edition, Central Europe V940.5963, Anwendung 9.510.1234792.2, OS 842337, NF-469
    TomTomHome 2.9.7.3256 on Win7, Avira protected
    Tog - was my post yesteday helpful?  Hope it was -we need you 'up and runnig' as it were
    Thank you to al foe helping me out!!!!!
  • MegalosMegalos Posts: 5,792 Superusers
    Ditte, I have some questions about the data you presented.

What do you mean by 'are closed in 7 days'? Does it mean that a submitted report gets the 'Accepted/Not Accepted' status in 7 days? If so, how did you calculate the average of 7 days (for North American reports)? Did you average the 'number of days before Accepted/Not Accepted' of all Accepted/Not Accepted reports? If that's the case, you should also mention the percentage of reports that are 'Accepted/Not Accepted', because otherwise this '7 days' doesn't really tell anything of course. If for example only 2% of all submitted reports are Accepted/Not Accepted and for those few reports the average closure time is 7 days, the fact that 98% of the reports are still Pending, is not really something to be proud of, and should be told as well to be fair. 

Do you also have data of the implementation time in an actual map release? So the average number of days before an Accepted report is implemented in a downloadable map? This would also be very interesting to know. Because if the reports are closed in only 7 days, but the actual implementation into a downloadable map takes 400 days, then these 7 days are obviously not really relevant anymore.

I hope you can clarify these questions. Thanks a lot! :-).
  • DitteDitte Posts: 7,280 Retired Community Managers and Staff
    Excellent questions, Megalos! I'll ask for some further details to answer your questions, if possible. :)

All the best,
    Ditte
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    Mine are still 'Pending'. I guess we're around 100 days now... Fantastic service, dear TomTom!
  • Lupus1Lupus1 Posts: 4,457 [Elite Voyager]
    Hi radosuaf,

did you send those error-ids to Shorty as offered by him to check on? Usually that helps. But without some more information from your side he won't be able to speeden up the process.

Regards
    Lars.
    ____________________________________________________TT XLS LIVE IQ Routes Edition (Text-to-Speech)map/Europe_North 875.3613 TT Start 60 map/Europe 910.4964 TT GO 6000map/Europe 926.5515TT Runner Cardio watchTT Home 2.9.7.3256MyDrive Connect 3.3.0.1317MySports Connect 1.3.9Win8 64bit
    I'm no TT employee but just a customer trying to help
  • radosuafradosuaf Posts: 187 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    No, I don't treat it as a system solution. I won't be sending IDs via PM all the time.
    @ Megalos:

From the Map Share Reporter engine room, in answer to your several questions here goes:

Q: What do you mean by 'are closed in 7 days'? Does it mean that a submitted report gets the 'Accepted/Not Accepted' status in 7 days?

A: Yes, the average only takes into account Accepted/Not Accepted reports and how long it takes for us to investigate these reports after submission.

Q: If so, how did you calculate the average of 7 days (for North American reports)? Did you average the 'number of days before Accepted/Not Accepted' of all Accepted/Not Accepted reports?

A:  Our reference reporting period is one quarter, i.e.. reports we actually receive & close in a given production window (of 3 months) are getting solved on our maps in 4 days (for North America as an example). Globally we close accepted MSR reports in 15 days, its fair to state that the related map update should be visible in the next (certainly in the 2nd next) Map Shop release

Q: Do you also have data of the implementation time in an actual map release?

A: The vast majority of accepted reports will be commercially available in the next or 2nd next commercial map release

Q: So the average number of days before an Accepted report is implemented in a downloadable map?

A: see above :D  We would like to be able to give a direct and accurate answer on each accepted report in the future [Shorty note: I think this stems from confirmation of this need via the MSR Suggestions for Improvement the MQF-membership drew up recently]

Now I bet this opens another question and that being "If this all is the case then why do many of us have contributions showing as "Pending" and for so long - some for many months?"

I don't know the complete answer to that, and the only way we can improve on this situation is for me to chase these down from your lists sent me.  I do this by direct contact with the Content Operations Team for that specific zone.  So far I'm very happy with the results/replies and it shows a need for taking greater care of our contributor feedback (many "Pemdings" I find have been included in data for the next release or the 2nd next commercial release.

It is true that a part of the verification process may require field work and that is not able to be immediately scheduled and sometimes items have to be stacked for coverage work in the area.  This is not the only time-absorbing item on the reasoning though
    Thanks Shorty, for this information. However, reading their answers, I still have some questions for the the MSR guys.

First, there seems to be a contradiction: In answer 1 they confirm that a 'closed' report means a report that is Accepted/Not Accepted. However, in their second answer they state "...we close accepted MSR reports...". How can they close accepted reports? They just said that accepted reports are already closed (because that's the definition of 'closed' reports). So again, what exactly means a 'closed' report? Obviously, you can't close an already closed report ;-).

The second question is already answered in their first answer: They indeed take into account only the Accepted/Not Accepted reports in the averaging calculation. So now the question becomes: what percentage of all submitted reports are actually Accepted/Not accepted? Maybe this is only 2% which means that 98% is still pending. Without mentioning this percentage, these 'average of 7 days', does not really give a fair overview of the real situation.
    From Shorty's engine room :D

Reading back in the MQF I think that we may not have connected the word "Accepted" to the term "Closed out" so let's take a step back.  The primary concern we all have and the only thing that matters to us, is what I've called "Time to Map".  The processes that make up this time are the levels of certainty we have of our data appearing in a map going forward.  In other words the two milestones that matter to us is whether our data is accepted and whether it's in the map - plain and simple.

Accepted means passed the Local Content Operation's checks and is in its database.  I fear we used different terminology before.  Anyway, I experience this as the lowest level of certainty [there are still some steps/oversight to go but at least the data is, from Local Content Ops, readied to send to Map Product Creation.  Items are not sent one by one naturally];

Closed Out on the other hand means data in the Map Production Centre's hands (or storage for the build if you like).  The highest level of certainty. Perhaps you might say.  Well, being Closed Out does bring some uncertainty to the complete process but the difference between being certain and uncertain at this level is only the map production - but it's from a clean database
This discussion has been closed.

Who's Online106

BranMakMorn
BranMakMorn
hamsterlange
hamsterlange
Harryh110
Harryh110
KennerPL
KennerPL
Manuel1962
Manuel1962