Tomtom Go, Android Auto and GPX files

Athome-nl
Athome-nl Registered Users Posts: 10
Legendary Explorer
Recently I bought a Honda Goldwing 2018. With the most recent software update, it supports Android Auto. I did as much testing as a could before I went to Romania for 8 days riding. For every day riding was a GPX route (300+ km per day). So riding a route from GPX was important for me.

So how did it go?
Suprisingly well. The Goldwing built-in navigation was my backup. But there was never a moment of thinking switching to the built-in navigation
I start the route in TomTom GO. After this I plugged the phone into the Goldwing and start Android Auto.
TomTom Go was automaticly started as well. The already started route was also visible.
So let's drive.
I was glad to see the sidebar on the right is also visible. The Goldwing has no touchscreen so there are some limitations in operation of Android Auto.
TomTom GO guided me during the routes. Every day again and again

What also stands out in this period was the very stable and robust operation of Tomtom GO. Besides zooming there is virtually nothing i can do to change of reload the route in Android Auto. This was never necessary. After every (coffee) break i start the bike and connect to android auto. The TomTom Go went on where it was left.

Everything considered. I miss the editing options which are available in the TomTom GO app. But for now it works good enough to use the built-in Android Auto instead of an extra smartphone mounted visible on my Goldwing

Please feel free to add your story in this thread good or bad.
TomTom has work to do to the Android Auto part but a stable basis is there.

Comments

• lneam
    lneam Registered Users Posts: 88
    Supreme Trailblazer
    i have some questions about those actions

- what version of tomtom go app are you using ?
    - can you synchronize from tomtom my drive your routes at your smartphone android device into .gpx format files ?
    - can you import at your smartphone android device .gpx format files from other sources, like a moto PND or a PC , with bluetooth or usb cable ?
  • lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Thanks for sharing your story, @Athome-nl! I would love to see a picture of your setup :) I thought Android Auto is for In-Dash car systems only.

I hope you first uploaded the GPX file using the MyDrive route planner and then sync it on the app. There are some platform limitations but improvements to the Android Auto experience are in place.

Best, lampard
  • Athome-nl
    Legendary Explorer
    lneam wrote: »
    i have some questions about those actions

- what version of tomtom go app are you using ?
    - can you synchronize from tomtom my drive your routes at your smartphone android device into .gpx format files ?
    - can you import at your smartphone android device .gpx format files from other sources, like a moto PND or a PC , with bluetooth or usb cable ?

To answer your questions:
    I use the lastest version form this moment (3.6.1 I believe).

I made/check my routes in Myroute Routeplanner on the TomTom map. From there I upload the files to Mydrive and sync them without modifications with the app on my Smartphone.

You always need Mydrive to get the GPX files into TomTom Go. You can do this on your smartphone with the webversion of Mydrive. I did not find the option "Import GPX" in the MyDrive app
  • Athome-nl
    Legendary Explorer
    lampard wrote: »
    Thanks for sharing your story, @Athome-nl! I would love to see a picture of your setup :) I thought Android Auto is for In-Dash car systems only.

I hope you first uploaded the GPX file using the MyDrive route planner and then sync it on the app. There are some platform limitations but improvements to the Android Auto experience are in place.

Best, lampard

Android Auto is indeed In-Dash. The Golwing 2018 has a In-Dash system. There are plenty pictures of it on the internet.
    I will take some pictures how TomTom Go with an active route (GPX) looks like.
  • Athome-nl
    Legendary Explorer
    Some promised photos

zeqit8efesf6.jpg

qvzyxsnfcnmy.jpg

in2exb2stkqf.jpg

jrjhrkbmydxt.jpg

• lampard
    lampard Retired TomTom Employee Posts: 6,075 Retired Community Moderators and Admins
    Wow, this actually looks really neat!
  • Athome-nl
    Legendary Explorer
    edited August 11
    Thank you.
    I'm happy with it. A big screen for navigation.
    I was thinking of building a 8" tablet on my previous bike. This was not necessary anymore when buying the Goldwing. This has a nice 7" screen.