Before I pay out fifty euros, is there a map of West Africa and do I have space for it?

Zackanory2022
Zackanory2022 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Seeker
Hi Community,

I am planning a trip to Gambia and would like to download the appropriate maps on my TomTom Go Basic. When I log in to MyDrive it invites me to take out a subscription or make a one-off purchase for 50 euros if I want to download any maps. I am a bit reluctant to risk it because my device tells me I have 5.24 GB free and I have no idea if this is sufficient to contain a road map of Africa or even just West Africa (if that is an option). In fact there seems to be no way to preview the available maps at all or see what their memory footprint is. I would love it someone could advise me about this.

Thanks!

Comments

• Zackanory2022
    Apprentice Seeker
    OK, I am going to answer my own question. What was happening is that I am in Spain so as soon as I enter I get a message telling me that purchases can only be delivered in the UK so do I want to go to the Spanish version of the website? ...So I was looking on the Spanish website where there is no map information available. I tried again and this time I opted to continue on the UK site (even though I wouldn't be able to purchase any of the maps anyway) and now I can see that I am slap out of luck because there is only a kind of limited Africa map which doesn't include Gambia (although it does include Senegal). Hope this is useful to someone!
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,221
    Elite Voyager
    @Zackanory2022

The Major Roads of The Gambia are on the world map. https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/sat-nav/maps-services/shop/travel-map/map-of-the-world/ If it can help.
  • Zackanory2022
    Apprentice Seeker
    OK, thanks for that link. It still leaves me with the question of whether five gigs is sufficient space to download the maps I need, Do you happen to know what the memory footprint of a typical map is?