Multiple devices sharing destinations. Is this normal?

antient
antient Registered Users Posts: 44
Outstanding Wayfarer
I have an ageing TomTom GO 5000, and have recently purchased a GO Essential to replace it. Both devices are associated with the same MyDrive account, so that they can both access the same MyPlaces information.

At the moment (while my Speed Camera subscription on the GO 5000 still remains valid) I am keeping both devices updated. I normally update both at the same time, with the 5000 connected to a laptop, while the Essential is updating by Wi-Fi. It is my habit after every update to test both devices by selecting a recent local destination which I know involves speed cameras, to make sure they still show up on the route bar.

I have noticed that when I select a destination on the GO 5000, a few seconds later the Essential announces that it has received a new destination, and plans a route to it. If I then cancel the route on the Essential, the GO 5000 cancels the route too. Basically, they seem to be faithfully mirroring each other's route information. Is this behaviour supposed to happen, and if so, how can I stop it happening???

If wife has the 5000 in her car, and is driving 200 miles north to visit our daughter, I don't want the route on the 5000 to suddenly change if I decide to use the Essential for a different destination while she is en route.

Best Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,312
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    To avoid this synchronization problem between the 2 GPS, you must create 1 Tomtom account for each device with a different e-mail address.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,122
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @antient

Yes changing your wife's journey to Coventry is a risk.😂 The solution if you wish to keep the same My Places, My Routes etc on both units then Tap Menu/Tap My Drive/ Tap Stop Syncing on one or both units. This will stop the communication between the 2 units when they are both in use and being Logged Out does not affect the normal running of the devices. Should you for example add a new My Place to one of the devices and wish to sync to your account then when both or the other unit is not in use you go to My Drive on the unit and Log In, only the Password will be required. Of course should you create a new My Place on the unit you are using and it is Logged in to My Drive then that will Sync back to your account and be copied to the other unit whenever you log into My Drive on that.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,359
     Superuser
    edited July 20 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @antient
    antient wrote: »
    (Snip) I have noticed that when I select a destination on the GO 5000, a few seconds later the Essential announces that it has received a new destination, and plans a route to it. If I then cancel the route on the Essential, the GO 5000 cancels the route too. Basically, they seem to be faithfully mirroring each other's route information. Is this behaviour supposed to happen, and if so, how can I stop it happening??? (Snip)
    Multiple devices on one Tomtom Account...
    Logging out of MyDrive on your devices is the way to go....
    When you need to sync data, simply log back into MyDrive on the device/s....
    I use this method with 8 devices... It's easy, you only require to enter the password, the device remembers the email address

If you're not happy logging in/out of MyDrive on the devices, you will need to set up a MyDrive account with different Email and password for each device... the downside is you will need to set up and maintain multiple MyDrive (Web) Route planner accounts for any MyPlaces, POI's and Routes you wish to sync to each individual device

I maintain 8 Devices by simply logging in/out of MyDrive
    I use a single password across all the devices... You only require to enter the password, the device remembers the email address
    Most of the time on the individual devices I am out logged of MyDrive and only log in to sync data as required, then log out again

NAV4.................. Tap (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing
    NAV(5)+(Wi-Fi)... Tap (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing

Note.....
    Logging out of MyDrive on the device does not stop the device receiving Tomtom Traffic and live services info
    The above does not work in the USA the Live Traffic system is different to UK/Europe

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,312
    Elite Voyager
    Answer ✓
    To avoid this synchronization problem between the 2 GPS, you must create 1 Tomtom account for each device with a different e-mail address.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,122
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @antient

Yes changing your wife's journey to Coventry is a risk.😂 The solution if you wish to keep the same My Places, My Routes etc on both units then Tap Menu/Tap My Drive/ Tap Stop Syncing on one or both units. This will stop the communication between the 2 units when they are both in use and being Logged Out does not affect the normal running of the devices. Should you for example add a new My Place to one of the devices and wish to sync to your account then when both or the other unit is not in use you go to My Drive on the unit and Log In, only the Password will be required. Of course should you create a new My Place on the unit you are using and it is Logged in to My Drive then that will Sync back to your account and be copied to the other unit whenever you log into My Drive on that.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,359
     Superuser
    edited July 20 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @antient
    antient wrote: »
    (Snip) I have noticed that when I select a destination on the GO 5000, a few seconds later the Essential announces that it has received a new destination, and plans a route to it. If I then cancel the route on the Essential, the GO 5000 cancels the route too. Basically, they seem to be faithfully mirroring each other's route information. Is this behaviour supposed to happen, and if so, how can I stop it happening??? (Snip)
    Multiple devices on one Tomtom Account...
    Logging out of MyDrive on your devices is the way to go....
    When you need to sync data, simply log back into MyDrive on the device/s....
    I use this method with 8 devices... It's easy, you only require to enter the password, the device remembers the email address

If you're not happy logging in/out of MyDrive on the devices, you will need to set up a MyDrive account with different Email and password for each device... the downside is you will need to set up and maintain multiple MyDrive (Web) Route planner accounts for any MyPlaces, POI's and Routes you wish to sync to each individual device

I maintain 8 Devices by simply logging in/out of MyDrive
    I use a single password across all the devices... You only require to enter the password, the device remembers the email address
    Most of the time on the individual devices I am out logged of MyDrive and only log in to sync data as required, then log out again

NAV4.................. Tap (.... Menu) --> Tomtom Services --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing
    NAV(5)+(Wi-Fi)... Tap (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive... Stop Syncing

Note.....
    Logging out of MyDrive on the device does not stop the device receiving Tomtom Traffic and live services info
    The above does not work in the USA the Live Traffic system is different to UK/Europe

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

• antient
    antient Registered Users Posts: 44
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    @Willy875 @Doug @YamFazMan

Thank you all for your very helpful replies. They are much appreciated.