Dreaded Oops, we are having trouble accessing TomTom services on a new GO Discover

Codeangel
Codeangel Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Traveler
Hi,

I have a brand new Go Discover that has not been assigned to any account yet.

Every time I try to login into existing account I get "Oops, we are having trouble accessing TomTom services", when I try to create a new account it gives me same error but actually account is created (I can login to eMail / Password I specified via MyDrive Connect).

I have tried all suggested methods, a factory reset, using different WiFis (Home Wifi / Mobile Tethering) as well as using MyDrive Connect USB connection.

The problem persists. The device is not usable for me now as I cannot even install updates.

Any ideas why this happens? Are there problems with TomTom login server?

Thanks

Best Answer

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,941
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Codeangel

I have had similar issues with my Go Discover, usually when I am in a room in the house where the Go Discover cannot get a GPS signal.

I found that the Go Discover requires to have a "Satellite (GPS) signal" as well when this occurs.

I normally go outside the house to get a GPS signal, then walk back a little until I am in Wi-Fi range or am connected by Bluetooth/ Personal Hotspot on the iphone whilst still having a GPS signal lock. This seems to remove the "Oops, we are having trouble accessing TomTom services" and a login is successful.

Hope this will work for you too. B)

Yepp, in the german Part of this Forum other users report the same.
    When the device gets GPS it has worked.

Answers

• Codeangel
    Apprentice Traveler
    P.s. Application version is 22.102.0007
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,202
    Elite Voyager
    Hi

Updates on GO Discover are done via Wi-Fi only, you select updates from the GPS menu.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,328
     Superuser
    edited June 30
    Hi
    @Codeangel
    Re... The new Go Discover & GO Expert etc... The initial Registration and ALL Map Installation/Updates can >> ONLY << be executed over Wi-Fi
    If the device is connected over USB + MyDrive Connect running on you PC
    The USB data connection will have a higher priority over the Wi-Fi data connection
    Therefore, the Wi-Fi data connection is suspended while the device is connected over USB….

Get Started with GO Discover....
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360018204260-Get-Started-with-GO-Discover

GO Discover User Manual....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360019383040-GO-Discover-User-Manual

Stay Safe… ATB YFM
  • Codeangel
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited June 30
    Thank you for response.

But I do use WiFi (USB disconnected) and I still get this message.

Device has connection to internet and tomtom servers because:

a) If I try to create account with previously used eMail I get the "Oops We cannot create an account using this email address"
    b) When I use completely new eMail it will actually create account and then show the "Oops, we are having trouble accessing TomTom services".

I cannot do update, device asks me to login to tomtom which is not possible. Chicken in the egg.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,328
     Superuser
    edited June 30
    Hi
    @Codeangel
    Does the Email Address contain any of the 'Filename' characters that are banned by Microsoft ???
    As far as I recall....
    < (less than)
    > (greater than)
    : (colon - sometimes works, but is actually NTFS Alternate Data Streams)
    " (double quote)
    / (forward slash)
    \ (backslash)
    | (vertical bar or pipe)
    ? (question mark)
    * (asterisk)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Codeangel
    Apprentice Traveler
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi
    @Codeangel
    Does the Email Address contain any of the 'Filename' characters that are banned by Microsoft ???

No, I have used -among others- a gmail account with simple alphanumeric prefix.
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 480
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Codeangel

I have had similar issues with my Go Discover, usually when I am in a room in the house where the Go Discover cannot get a GPS signal.

I found that the Go Discover requires to have a "Satellite (GPS) signal" as well when this occurs.

I normally go outside the house to get a GPS signal, then walk back a little until I am in Wi-Fi range or am connected by Bluetooth/ Personal Hotspot on the iphone whilst still having a GPS signal lock. This seems to remove the "Oops, we are having trouble accessing TomTom services" and a login is successful.

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,941
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Codeangel

Yepp, in the german Part of this Forum other users report the same.
    When the device gets GPS it has worked.
  • Codeangel
    Apprentice Traveler
    Thank you all! Indeed, this was the case, device needs GPS Lock.

In addition to confusion: If you tried to login without GPS lock the login with lock will not work until you do factory reset :/

So correct approach is:

* Do Factory Reset
    * Go outside / somewhere where device aquires GPS Lock
    * Login to tomtom services