TomTom GO 40 move maps to the microSD

tomtom_go_40
tomtom_go_40 Registered Users Posts: 5
New Seeker
edited February 22 in MyDrive Connect
Good morning, I have the TOMTOM GO 40.
I don't have space on the device to update the maps and inserted a 32gb microSD card.
The microSD card is formated to install maps.
The device recognizes it perfectly but it is impossible for me to move the maps to the microSD to be able to update them.
Can you tell me how to install the updates on the microSD?

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,905
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

If you run out of space on the internal memory to install the map, the new map will automatically be installed on the SD.
  • tomtom_go_40
    New Seeker
    4nv2gj6xc8h2.jpg

no, I try several times and it says: updating but nothing is updated
  • tomtom_go_40
    New Seeker
    tu8ibcmuveyi.jpg
  • tomtom_go_40
    New Seeker
    tu8ibcmuveyi.jpg
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    At the time of installation on the GPS there is a problem

Check back tomorrow moderator @VikramK can verify your account

it can add mini map for you to download to internal memory later you can add bigger map to sd
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    Hi @tomtom_go_40

A different map of Europe has been activated for your TomTom, it should be offered in smaller countries.

Regards, Vikram.
  • tomtom_go_40
    New Seeker
    problem solved.
    Thanks for your help.
  • JoJay
    JoJay Registered Users Posts: 8
    Master Traveler
    @ tomtom_go_40 or anyone who can help?
    My issue is inadequate memory space to update maps. I fitted 32GB micro SD, formatted and assigned it to "Maps". I downloaded update to my computer but the update will not install to my GO 5100, it just sits there saying it's updating but never does. I left it overnight and longer, still nothing! I didn't want to delete the old maps just in case the update still failed and the device became a "brick". I am using "My Drive Connect" (but should I be using "Tom Tom Home"? I don't know what that is anyway!) I have reinstalled MDC three times in case it was corrupted, however it made no difference. The system update worked ok as I did that first before attempting the maps. The maps rejected due to space being only 19MB left on the internal memory. Now the SD card is installed it has plenty of space but won't update. GO screen says "connected to your computer" and My Drive Connect says "installing updates" but nothing else moves to indicate any activity! Very frustrating indeed. ANY help would be appreciated
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Disconnect and reconnect the USB socket of your computer several times in a row.
  • JoJay
    Master Traveler
    @Willy875 I tried your suggestion to "Disconnect and reconnect the USB socket" several times and it did not work. Support have still not responded to my request for support. Thanks for your suggestion anyway.
  • Arthritic_Toe
    Arthritic_Toe Registered Users Posts: 5
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have exactly the same issue. I need to update the European map - I've added a 32G sd card, but doesnt update - just says "Updating device" but never does (I left it for a full 48 hours) but nothing has happened.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,945
    Superuser
    Hi @Arthritic_Toe

When you inserted the SD card were you asked whether you wanted it formatted for Maps?

Doug
  • Arthritic_Toe
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @DougLap - yes I was asked that and the card was formatted accordingly. Under 'My Content' it shows the sd card with its available space (29G or so).
    Thanks,
    Mike.
  • Arthritic_Toe
    Apprentice Seeker
    @VikramK are you able to activate a different European map for me? My guess is that the device is unable to cope with an update to a map installed on the internal memory when the new version would exceed the size of the internal memory - but a different map would install on the sd card as a new map.
    Thanks,
    Mike.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    @VikramK are you able to activate a different European map for me? My guess is that the device is unable to cope with an update to a map installed on the internal memory when the new version would exceed the size of the internal memory - but a different map would install on the sd card as a new map.
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Done! :)

• Arthritic_Toe
    Apprentice Seeker
    VikramK wrote: »
    Thanks,
    Mike.

Done! :)

Thank you @VikramK for the quick response! I am now able to download the new maps onto my SD card.
  • JoJay
    Master Traveler
    After weeks of communication with support who insisted the map update was failing because of "unstable broadband" or "aggressive antivirus and firewall" it was NOTHING to do with these things. They wanted to leave the failing update for 48 hours connected to their server and the wider Internet with my antivirus and firewall turned off! Leaving my computer totally vulnerable to every danger out there. Good plan support!! I gave support every detail I could imagine that would put them "in the frame" but they ignored this and just repeatedly asked the same things over and over as if they had not read anything I'd said. I solved the issue myself and no thanks to support.
    My method: My mistake was to attempt an update rather than directly install the new map to the 32GB SD card. As the old Europe map fills most of the internal memory of 8GB it is IMPOSSIBLE to update that map because the new map cannot be split between the internal memory and the SD card. The solution is to install the new map on the SD card and only then can the old map be removed from internal memory leaving just the speed cameras there.
    Solution steps: Log-in to "My Drive Connect"> My Content> DO NOT select "Update Map" from "Updates available"> Scroll down the page to "My Services"> > > > Select your map (in my case "Europe-Lifetime Maps")> hover curser over bottom LH corner of the map box and click on the little triangle that appears.>This opens a drop-down with a "Manage your map" button-click it> Several options appear (4, I think), but once you install the map they are removed but I think they are from memory " Install update, Change, " . Sorry I can't remember which worked it might be "Change" however if I'd known it would work I would have made a point of being more precise. After the new map installed I removed the old one and had space to update all the European speed cameras. Incidentally, even though after all this and the pane called "Updates Available" said that the unit was "Up to date" it was NOT true. All the speed cameras were still out of date and needed updating manually one at a time. I hope this post helps anyone else out there who is having the same issue.
  • Arthritic_Toe
    Apprentice Seeker
    JoJay wrote: »
    After weeks of communication with support who insisted the map update was failing because of "unstable broadband" or "aggressive antivirus and firewall" it was NOTHING to do with these things. They wanted to leave the failing update for 48 hours connected to their server and the wider Internet with my antivirus and firewall turned off! Leaving my computer totally vulnerable to every danger out there. Good plan support!! I gave support every detail I could imagine that would put them "in the frame" but they ignored this and just repeatedly asked the same things over and over as if they had not read anything I'd said. I solved the issue myself and no thanks to support.
    My method: My mistake was to attempt an update rather than directly install the new map to the 32GB SD card. As the old Europe map fills most of the internal memory of 8GB it is IMPOSSIBLE to update that map because the new map cannot be split between the internal memory and the SD card. The solution is to install the new map on the SD card and only then can the old map be removed from internal memory leaving just the speed cameras there.
    Solution steps: Log-in to "My Drive Connect"> My Content> DO NOT select "Update Map" from "Updates available"> Scroll down the page to "My Services"> > > > Select your map (in my case "Europe-Lifetime Maps")> hover curser over bottom LH corner of the map box and click on the little triangle that appears.>This opens a drop-down with a "Manage your map" button-click it> Several options appear (4, I think), but once you install the map they are removed but I think they are from memory " Install update, Change, " . Sorry I can't remember which worked it might be "Change" however if I'd known it would work I would have made a point of being more precise. After the new map installed I removed the old one and had space to update all the European speed cameras. Incidentally, even though after all this and the pane called "Updates Available" said that the unit was "Up to date" it was NOT true. All the speed cameras were still out of date and needed updating manually one at a time. I hope this post helps anyone else out there who is having the same issue.

Thanks for this. As you say, the problem is that it tries to 'update' but can't, because there is insufficient space (i.e. there is plenty of space on the sd card for a NEW map, but it can't update the existing map). Your fix looks like the 'propper' fix. Alternatively you can get a 'different' map if you ask for it (e.g a slightly different release of the European map) which installs as a new map on the SD card.

Its a shame that TomTom cant seem to educate their support people to understand this relatively simple concept, and consequently, they lead people on long wild-goose chases which just wastes everyones time, including their own.
  • JoJay
    Master Traveler
    @ arthritic toe
    I couldn't have said it better myself! Shame on Tom Tom
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,965
     Superuser
    Hi
    @arthritic toe
    Maybe useful... 8GB devices like your NAV4 GO 50 & Catch22...
    The early Maps fitted easily onto 8 GB on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update....
    The Map size now exceeds the 8GB on-board Memory size on the NAV4 devices, this is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The latest NAV4 Full Europe Map size is now approaching 9 GB....

Here's a couple of options to get past the Catch22 'Not enough Memory'….
    And or the 'No Maps Available' error that also stops access to the Memory Card Map Formatting Menu....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1145486/8gb-nav4-devices-catch22-installing-maps

Stay Safe... ATB YFM