Does the MyDrive app on my Galaxy A22 phone need to be opened to receive traffic updates?

BrianE
BrianE Worcester, United KingdomRegistered Users Posts: 562
Exalted Navigator
I'm new to using my mobile phone for traffic data as my previous device had an inbuilt SIM card. I've got everything set up on my brand new GO Essentials, including pairing my phone and switching on Bluetooth tethering. My question is does the MyDrive app on my Galaxy A22 phone need to be opened to receive traffic updates or is it sufficient just to have the phone turned on?

Best Answer

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,024
    Revered Voyager
    Your phone must be connected via bluetooth to receive traffic information.

However, your phone must be connected to the Internet.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    I have a small data allowance (I think it's 6GB per month) on my mobile phone, so it can access the Internet using that when I'm away from home. But what I really want to know is whether I need to have the TomTom app open on my phone to receive the traffic updates.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    A phone consumes 7MB of internet data per hour depending on traffic.
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    Yes, I'd read that somewhere yesterday, but what about the TomTom app question - that's what I really want to know?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The Mydrive application allows you to plan a route and send it to your GPS
    the application also allows you to send poi and addresses to your GPS.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,966
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BrianE @Willy875

Please note the Traffic data figure suggested by TT is 7MB per MONTH not per hour. See the following

https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013898160-TomTom-Traffic-data-usage

The My Drive App does not need to be open whist you are using the TT GO Nav App in order to get Traffic.

Doug
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    Thanks Doug, that's what I wanted to know. I don't need to use the app on my phone as I do all my pre-planning and managing of POI's on the desktop version. I also use ITN Converter to create groups of POI's and then upload them to MyDrive on my computer, which then get automatically transferred to my sat nav once I connect to my Wi-Fi network. I've just taken my new sat nav out for a quick test and I must say that I prefer it to my previous 6-inch GO 6200 - it's lighter and therefore less prone to wobble on my dashboard mount, plus it seems more responsive than the other unit. I haven't been able to verify if the traffic feature is working yet as it will need a few more journeys to see how it goes.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @BrianE

If the Traffic data is being received then the Red or Yellow Traffic indications should appear on the Map.

Doug
  • BrianE
    Exalted Navigator
    Hi Doug. I tested it this morning and it's all working fine now. Thank you for your support.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @BrianE

Glad you are sorted. happy travels.

Doug