TomTom 60 won't update, delete, or change maps

fuyerescaper
fuyerescaper Registered Users Posts: 6
Apprentice Seeker
I have a second-hand TomTom 60 from a friend. This is replacing my own TomTom 50 which is no longer working.

The friend has NEVER updated the maps and as such they are out of date in several places, which leads to all kinds of problems.

The problem is: I can't get the map to update.

I've attempted to straight update the whole map (I have lifetime Europe maps), change the map selection to just South Western Europe (to make it smaller), and even delete the entire map off the satnav. I managed to do small uploads (the speed camera update for example) fine, but anything much bigger and it doesn't work. It downloads the relevant file, establishing a connection to the device, says 'updating device' and then. . . nothing. For an hour without any indication it's doing anything. No progress bar. Nothing.

As I said, this is true also of deleting the map and starting again. I click delete, it asks me whether I'm sure, and then nothing happens. It doesn't even go through to another page.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

J

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,956
    Revered Voyager
    Maybe you are running out of space on the GPS? can you add an sd card.
  • fuyerescaper
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks. The file I'm replacing it with is smaller than the one on there. Also, would this explain the failure to delete the map? I'm not receiving any error messages.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,956
    Revered Voyager
    Since it's not the same filename, it can't replace it, it can only append it.
  • fuyerescaper
    Apprentice Seeker
    But it also won't let me delete the map? And it's not even beginning the process. Wouldn't it say if it were lacking space? The satnav also does not appear to register that anything is happening (though it shows that mydrive is connected) during the attempted map update.
  • fuyerescaper
    Apprentice Seeker
    Reposting as unresolved:

I have a second-hand TomTom 60 from a friend. This is replacing my own TomTom 50 which is no longer working.

The friend has NEVER updated the maps, so the current map is from c.2015.

The problem is: I can't get the map to update.

I've attempted to straight update the whole map (I have lifetime Europe maps), change the map selection to just South Western Europe (to make it smaller), and even delete the entire map off the satnav. I managed to do small uploads (the speed camera update for example) fine, but anything much bigger and it doesn't work. It downloads the relevant file, establishing a connection to the device, says 'updating device' and then. . . nothing. For an hour without any indication it's doing anything. No progress bar. Nothing.

As I said, this is true also of deleting the map and starting again. I click delete, it asks me whether I'm sure, and then nothing happens. It doesn't even go through to another page.

There is roughly 900MB of space on the satnav and I'm looking to put on a significantly smaller map than is currently on there.

Any help would be appreciated.

Many thanks,

J
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,055
    Hi @fuyerescaper
    We have created jobs in our backend system that will remove the existing map and allow you to download a fresh version.
    Do a soft reset and connect the device to MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • fuyerescaper
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hello Vikram,

Thanks very much for you help.

I've performed the soft reset and it has brought up what looks like a diagnostic screen. I have connected the device to the computer, but nothing appears to be happening and it is not registering as connected. What should I expect to see?

Best,

James
  • fuyerescaper
    Apprentice Seeker
    My apologies.

I have it working now and have installed the new map. That's great. Thanks so much!

James