TomTom GO Premium rebooting mid journey and is slow to respond

Luis51_
Luis51_ Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited April 1 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
TomTom GO Premium
I am totally fed up with Tomtom. My devices closes itself down at least 4 to 5 times a week some times in a day. It is slow to respond to input address. I only have 1 map on it and loads of space.
It will close itself down in mid journey and restart. It dose this randomly on any journey. Wish I had not spent my money on this device.
I have done factory reset more than once this dose not help.

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,998
     Superuser
    edited April 1
    Hi
    @Luis51_
    Many users find that logging out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the device is beneficial....
    On the GO Premium....
    Tap the 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> MyDrive....

You only have to log in to MyDrive on the device if you need to sync data between the device and the MyDrive Web Route planner (Tomtom Cloud Account)

I have multiple Tomtom devices, so I have always logged out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the devices by default (So I can't comment if it's beneficial or not)
    Logging out of MyDrive fix for Multiple device using one Account
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1725859/#Comment_1725859

I guess the fewer Data Connections in use on the device, at any one time, the less load on system resources ???
    Are you using the Tomtom supplied cable and Tomtom supplied Power Adapter....
    The Charger Adapter and USB Cable supplied by Tomtom >> WILL << run and charge the device at the same time....

Many 3rd parties Mismatched Charger Adapters won't run and charge the device at the same time...
    See... It's not simply a power thing....
    https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1182024/#Comment_1182024

When the device is In use they are designed to be always connected to a power supply
    The Tomtom supplied Power Adapter is rated at 5Volts 1.2Amps
    Even after you have recharged the device externally via a mains' charger, when in use in the vehicle, they will still require being connected to a Tomtom supplied Power Adapter (Or a proven suitable 3rd party Power adapter)

(1)... Do NOT attach them to a dashboard USB port in your vehicle as they normally only supply 500mAmp (0.5Amp) and are for data transfer and not supplying power: See... Note (1) & (2)

(2)... Using a NONE Tomtom 3rd party underpowered or a mismatched cigarette lighter charger can cause the device to go into Power Saving Mode: See... Note (1)

(3)... On the Models with a built-in SIM, the reduction of power to the SIM can cause the dropping of the traffic info: Note (3)

Note (1)... At an (Undisclosed) percentage of battery discharge, the device will try to save its power requirements by dimming the screen and eventually powers off the device... Devices with a built-in SIM Card may also lose Live Traffic services
    Note (2)... A dashboard USB port can also fool a NAV4 Device into entering 'Updating Mode' and display the Connected to your Computer splash screen
    Note (3)... I tried connecting my Tomtom GO 6200 to my Cars USB port, checked the connection status it reports 'Connected over USB' --> 'GPRS (SIM) Disconnected'

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • Luis51_
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for the reply.

I have a purchased a primum product and it would be reasonable to expect to be able to use all the features in the product that I do find useful. Why would I need to shut half of them down for it to work.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited April 1
    Hi
    @Luis51_
    Luis51_ wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.
    (Snip) Why would I need to shut half of them down for it to work.
    Mmmm... logging out of MyDrive on the device isn't losing 50% of the features of the GO Premium....
    It's a slight inconvenience of logging in to MyDrive menu on the device when you need to sync data between the 'MyDrive Web Route planner/GO Premium' then logging out of the MyDrive menu for normal use....
    The Battery Info is for users having problems by using none standard charging methods that are failing to keep their devices running & charged at the same time...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Luis51_
    Apprentice Seeker
    I do on average about 10 journeys a day and like to transfer the address from my phone through My drive so logging in and out is a major inconvenience. I have also come to this forum out of desperation as I have not been able to get any help from tomtom customer support they seem to be deliberately difficult to contact.

Really disappointed with Tomtom.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited April 1
    Hi
    @Luis51
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)

For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step guide/tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

TomTom customer support by email….
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/requests/new?ticket_form_id=360000679560
    Note... This link is to one of the Tomtom Support site pages... You may have to login again using your Tomtom Email & Password....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited April 1
    Hi
    @Luis51_
    Another option you may want to try....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1750781/#Comment_1750781

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Luis51_
    Apprentice Seeker
    I don't wont work around i just want the product to work as described.
    i have tried the chat but never get a human just stupid robot.
    cant even find an email address for customer service.

everyone has gone back to work except for tomtom.

absolutely useless company.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,974
    Revered Voyager
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 424
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Luis51_

Like you I just want my devices to work as advertised, “work arounds” can be a temporary solution but this issue has been ongoing for over 6 months as shortly after the 21.100 mandatory software update released at the end of September 2021 both my Go Campers and Go Premium X started to randomly reboot whilst driving and the already lengthy lag between selecting a menu and the screen changing (like watching paint dry!) became even more erratic.

Attempting to deactivate My Drive synchronization as suggested was not really possible due to the devices constantly rebooting and the lack of response to the Menu presses plus my normal mode is to plan my routes in MyDrive (PC/ web) and send the stops to my device as I found this was the only means to avoid lengthy waiting times – I do not want to waste 5 minutes or more trying to set a destination on the devices!!

I require MyDrive Synchronisation being switched on as it is almost the last redeeming feature of the TomTom devices to synchronise places where it is so much easier and quicker to set up a new Favourite in My Places using MyDrive and a large keyboard and to send a destination / or stops to the device to avoid any unnecessary delays before I set off driving, and Tomtom’s MyDrive is a “published feature” of the devices.

I have, whilst my regular devices are “pet bricks” been using the Go Discover, but that too has faults; if using MyDrive to send a destination/stops to the Discover before it has detected any traffic delays, it does not recalculate the route once it has detected traffic regardless of any settings (set as Automatic) and I have to cancel the route and submit it again to take into account the traffic delays!

Plus the Discover suffers from a reduced Traffic Horizon, in general most users of TomTom PND’s find their device detects traffic in a rolling 50 mile radius from the current location.

The Go Discover only detects ~ half that range (although it has improved recently) and would often send me off in the wrong direction straight into a long traffic jam on the M25, often missing hour long traffic delays………

I have been almost in daily contact with TomTom's Customer Care Team since the middle of 2021 on this and other issues I have experienced on the Go Discover and in November 2021had confirmation:

“I have now discussed this issue with our 2nd line technical team and we do have same issue reported by some other customers as well. Based on this we have created a ticket to be investigated on this and forwarded it to the developers.

Our developers are actively looking into this issue impacting some owners of some TomTom devices. I regret that at this time they have not determined the underlying cause and cannot therefore give me any reference point on when they will have the issue fixed.

We continue to investigate the issue and look forward to pushing an update via MyDrive / Updates and New Items on device to resolve this issue as soon as possible.”

I was pleased to note that TomTom will "resolve this issue as soon as possible" However the term “As soon as possible” doesn’t convey any sort of time frame.

But the wording and the preceding paragraph seemed familiar .............

Checking back , I found I have received similar generic updates from TomTom on other queries, including one that is still unresolved from 5 1/2 years ago.............

So will I have to wait another 5+ years...................... to get a working device????? :s

I will at some point attempt yet another factory reset on my Go Camper / Premium X and then as a last resort place them into Recovery mode but if that fails then I will have to return the in warranty devices to TomTom for replacement/repair and consign my out of warranty device to the bin as it would be uneconomic to repair.

Good luck in getting in touch with the Customer Care Team via the methods described above and hope that Tomtom will resolve this issue caused by their software update.
  • Luis51_
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi
    I knew that i would not be the only one. You explain it a lot better than I can.

Tomtom dose not care about it's customers.
  • Malekith
    Malekith Registered Users Posts: 17
    Outstanding Explorer
    I have a 6200 and happen the same, the GPS reboots randomly and take's a lot of time to follow with the navigation. Appears an icon flashing up to 10 minutes trying to get signal
  • boljak
    boljak USARegistered Users Posts: 43
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    logon to mydrive app on your phone. log on also on mydrive on your gps then click Stop syncing. logoff. leave the mydrive app on your phone active. hipe it works for you. mine did. stopped constant rebooting.
  • StephenB63
    StephenB63 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    My Go Premium also reboots several times mid journey, it's just over a year old. It feels like I've purchased a pretty poor product after reading all these messages.
    The traffic seems to have stopped working about 2 weeks ago as well.
    I don't want to disconnect MyDrive as this part actually works sending destinations from my phone.
    My battery is also showing as empty all the time even though it's always on the proper TT cable in the car.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,974
    Revered Voyager
    @StephenB63

You can very well disconnect from Mydrive and reconnect to Mydrive for 2 minutes while sending a destination to your device and then disconnect again.