New graphics are poor

Eric_1950
Eric_1950 UK Registered Users Posts: 11
Master Explorer
I much preferred the old map style with the high contrast grey roads against a pale background. Also the road names were much clearer when they were all presented as horizontal labels. The roads are now more difficult to see and road names are impossible to read because they are written in the same orientation as the road. Please bring back the old graphics which made Amigo stand out from rivals .

Comments

• Xanka
    Xanka Registered Users Posts: 14
    Apprentice Seeker
    I agree completely, the old graphics were better. There was a horizon that constantly jumps, then appears, then disappears.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,061
    @Eric_1950 Can you confirm the App version installed on your phone? A screenshot of the about screen will be nice (Main Menu> Support>About> Screenshot this screen and attach).

Best, lampard
  • Eric_1950
    Master Explorer
    agrg4gwz87v2.jpg
  • Xanka
    Xanka Registered Users Posts: 14
    Apprentice Seeker
    Screenshot
  • lampard
    Thanks, @Eric_1950 ! The team is already aware of this. We do have different styles for driving and browsing AmiGO and soon, we should be seeing grey roads in driving mode. In short, this is a work in progress.

@Xanka Thanks for flagging the issue with Horizon (and screesnhot) as it should not show the routing tube. The team is investigating this!

Best, lampard
  • uodalricus
    uodalricus Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Traveler
    After the most recent update on my phone to 8.364.0 (12292) the map is back to the old design with the horizontal road names. Good. With the new design, in addition to the unreadable road names, often the map tiles would not load in spite of perfect reception. On Sunday I drove more than 80 km through a void according to Amigo.

I'm trying to imagine how something like this can happen. There seem to be two groups of people at TomTom constantly struggling for the steering wheel, one very competent and one completely clueless. The latter being responsible for the new, unusable or nonexistent maps, and probably also for the recent pricing chaos with TomTom Go?
  • lampard
    edited April 29
    Hi @uodalricus,
    • the map is back to the old design with the horizontal road names
    • On Sunday I drove more than 80 km through a void according to Amigo.

Can you share a screenshot of these if possible?

for the recent pricing chaos with TomTom Go?
    Can you tell us what is the issue here?

Best, lampard
  • jjanusz
    jjanusz Registered Users Posts: 17
    Master Explorer
    "After the most recent update on my phone to 8.364.0 (12292) the map is back to the old design with the horizontal road names" - just wait, the shitty flat road names will come back soon...

--
    Janusz
  • Narmonono
    Narmonono Registered Users Posts: 279
    Exalted Navigator
    Hello moderators,
    What would be great is to have the same style of map as we have with tomtom go because there the maps are beautiful, readable, pleasant!
  • jjanusz
    jjanusz Registered Users Posts: 17
    Master Explorer
    I am afraid it goes the opposit way: Go will look like AmiGO. AmiGO is a kind of experimental lab for future product line. They are testing us how far they can go ;))) Of course it's a joke, hmm... is it?

--
    Janusz
  • uodalricus
    Apprentice Traveler
    lampard wrote:

the map is back to the old design with the horizontal road names
    On Sunday I drove more than 80 km through a void according to Amigo.

Can you share a screenshot of these if possible?

I didn't make a screenshot of the "driving through the void" phenomenon, sorry. It was just a completely empty map with the blue "drive here" line.

I wanted to make a screenshot of the old map style but, alas, Janusz' prediction came true and now it's back to the new style. And as before, the tiles for the new style load sloooooowly. I haven't driven with it yet, but I can see it even just by moving the map around. Amigo will often sit there with an empty map for 20 seconds until finally the tiles are loaded.

My impression is that somebody at TomTom thinks Amigo with the old map implementation is too good and the advantage of Go's offline maps isn't visible enough. So they decided to make tile loading worse on purpose to make people want a real offline map. To justify this they also made a new map design which unfortunately (intentionally?) happens to be worse than the old one. So much for my cute little conspiracy theory. If anybody has a better explanation for what's going on I'd love to hear it.
    lampard wrote:
    for the recent pricing chaos with TomTom Go?

Can you tell us what is the issue here?

Details (in German, sorry) here. The gist of it: In December 2021 prices were increased by up to 400% , on the same day they announced that they'd reduce the price again for iOS, but not for Android, but then failed to do so for several weeks. All the while the prices displayed in Google Play and on the website were mostly incorrect. In February 2022 prices were again changed across the board, but again the price change was not reflected in the prices listed in Google Play.
  • Narmonono
    Narmonono Registered Users Posts: 279
    Exalted Navigator
    uodalricus wrote: »
    And as before, the tiles for the new style load sloooooowly. I

Hi,
    I had already made this remark at the beginning of April with version 8.307 but I have not heard back and the other versions do not correct my problem!
    At least now I'm not the only one saying it ! 👍😁
  • Eric_1950
    Master Explorer
    On April 25th, the app updated to version 8.364.0 (12292), Navigation engine 0.2.1135.
    The good, clear legible graphics were back. I was going to post here and thank Tom Tom for listening and responding to user's complaints.
    Then, inexplicably, a few days later the horrible new pale graphics returned and are still here. This happened without any update or change of version number. Very annoying.
  • uodalricus
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited May 5
    Here's what a trip with AmiGO looks like for me recently.
    Driving through town with perfect reception the map is there, although the road names might as well be random letters, small and distorted as they are. On my phone I can't make out any of them.
    7m3t6fzcxxfw.png
    Once reception gets a bit worse the first empty tiles appear. This is in fact the last non-empty tile I saw for a long while.
    cww0inubpp2w.png
    The rest of the trip looked like this. Above about 80kph the tile loader can't keep up even with perfect reception. Once a tile is loaded it's already out of view.
    oax4ntl4mpad.png
    Arriving at my destination and slowing down again, tiles start appearing again, but not all in time.
    7kbc1puha0qv.png
    This gets exacerbated by the now apparently non-existent caching. Every time I start up AmiGO outside my house I see an empty map for the first few seconds until the tiles are loaded again.
    I had no such problems with the old map style, nor do I have them with other online navigation apps (Google Maps, Magic Earth, Nunav, Waze).
    I'll not be using AmiGO any more, which I assume is the intended effect. I won't be buying a Go subscription either though.
  • Eric_1950
    Master Explorer
    @lampard I'm still having the problem with the incorrect graphics in driving mode, but I have noticed something which might help your team to find a solution.
    If I uninstall the Amigo app and reinstall it I can do ONE journey with the correct graphics (horizontal street names). When I exit the app and plan another trip the wrong graphics return (street names written on streets). I've now uninstalled and reinstalled the app five times and the same thing happens.

I'm using version 8.364.5 on a Samsung S21 running Android 12

Hope this helps