How can I fix the problem of having no connection to TomTom Traffic?

MarcoDE
MarcoDE Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
Hello, I just bought a Go Classic. Everything seems working fine.The only issue I have is to get connection to Tom Tom Traffic. I could couple my device with my iPhone, where I have uploaded My Drive Connect successfully. The device shows the status connected to Bluetooth and mentions that messages from my phone could be shown. It only says that no connection to traffic data or to other services could be established. I have checked that my privacy settings allow access to my data. Can somebody give me a hint, what I can do, in order to access traffic data? Thank you in advance.

Best Answer

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 544
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi there @MarcoDE -

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings slide “Allow others to Join” to the right which then turns green, then in the popup that follows choose “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi”
    Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings allows for a single stable connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone (if it is currently installed)
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone (if you had done this previously)
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way (press the “No” request to download and use the MyDrive app to set up the Bluetooth connection)
    4. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app if you later decide to install.
    5. - In your gps settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    6. - You are still able to install and use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,959
    Superuser
    Hi @MarcoDE

What phone are you trying to connect to the GO Classic. Meanwhile regarding Traffic look back here tomorrow to see what @VikramK has to say after he has checked your TT units settings on the TT servers.

Doug
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

The phone which I am trying to connect is an iPhone SE.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,062
    Hi @MarcoDE

Welcome to the community!

Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message by clicking on this link-https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/messages/add/VikramK ?

Thanks, Vikram
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited February 8
    Hi @MarcoDE

If your iPhone SE has IOS13 or later on it when connecting the Phone via Bluetooth then changes to the OP system that Apple included in that and laterIOS versions means that involving the My Drive App in the pairing process will not work and messaging will not work. Now if using IOS13 or later you need to turn On the Personal Hotspot option in the phones settings and then Bluetooth pair the unit to your GO Classic and do not involve the My Drive App in the pairing process. You will not be asked for the Personal Hotspot Password but the PH option has to be turned on when your phone is connecting by Bluetooth.

Doug
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

The current software is IOS 15.2. I will try your suggestion.
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for your advice. It worked and I could get access to Tom Tom Traffic.
    But it lasted for short time only; and I have problems to pair again with my personal hotspot.
    I will try again later.

Marco
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @MarcoDE

If you are trying to re-pair the devices make sure you delete the units from both devices Bluetooth pages before you try pairing again.. Also you must have the Personal Hotspot turned On in the iPhone settings whenever you are connecting the Go Classic to the iPhone via Bluetooth.

Doug
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

Thanks for the advice. I will try it again accordingly.

Marco
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Doug,

You helped me with your advice in the past. I could connect my previous iPhone with my TomTom Go Classic and had access to the traffic service.
    Recently I bought a new I-Phone: SE 2022. Now I am having the problem to connect it with my navigation device via Bluetooth. According to my phone it is connected. But the device mentions that there is no connection. As you have advised me before, I have turned on the hot spot when connecting. I was also not able to pair the device with the hotspot of my phone. Can you please let me know, if above issue is related to the new I-phone SE version (2022) and I need to connect it with my TomTom Go in another way? FYI: The iOS version which I am using is 15.4.1. Thank you very much in advance for your kind help. Best regards Marco
  • navguide
    navguide Registered Users Posts: 4
    New Seeker
    Will they fix this issue?

MyDrive became useless with iPhones. I spent hours trying to fix this as I needed the live traffic. I have iPhone 13 with the latest IOS.

Resetting the device, connecting and reconnecting, uninstalling, and reinstalling countless times did not solve the issue. I will try the option Doug posted above.

As a company, TomTom provides terrible customer service. If their product does not work, they need to let the customers know within 24 hours about a workaround. This shows that this company has no sense of customer relationship.
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi there @MarcoDE -

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings slide “Allow others to Join” to the right which then turns green, then in the popup that follows choose “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi”
    Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings allows for a single stable connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone (if it is currently installed)
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone (if you had done this previously)
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way (press the “No” request to download and use the MyDrive app to set up the Bluetooth connection)
    4. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app if you later decide to install.
    5. - In your gps settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    6. - You are still able to install and use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.
  • navguide
    New Seeker
    Hello @kieron,

I followed your instructions and the Go supreme and iPhone show connection was established. But when I plan a route I don't see live traffic and there is a cross sign on the GPS (on the right-hand sidebar on top of two cars) -meaning there is no connection. Do you know how to overcome this?
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Hi there @navguide -

I see that you are based in the USA - does your current mobile phone tariff/provider allow you to tether Bluetooth data to other devices?
  • navguide
    New Seeker
    Hi @kieron,

I am not sure, I have AT&T unlimited data plan. The hotspot works fine.
  • navguide
    New Seeker
    Hi @kieron,

Please ignore my earlier reply. It is working now. Thanks a lot for your suggestion. I needed the traffic here in Chicago and your suggestion is greatly appreciated.
  • kieron
     Superuser
    [email protected] -

Great to hear - thanks for letting the forum know. :)
  • MarcoDE
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Kieron,

Sorry for my late reply. I just tried your advice and it works 😊
    Thanks a lot for your great support!

• kieron
     Superuser
    Hi @MarcoDE -

Great to hear it has been a good result for you too - thanks for getting back and letting the forum know. :)
  • Godi
    Godi Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Seeker
    I was trying to set up connections with the device connected to my PC via a USB cable but kept getting failures. The connections only worked once I unplugged the USB then tried to connect to wifi and bluetooth on my phone - the connections then worked firdt time. Probably worth putting an advice prompt regarding that simple fix on the GPS device?