Is there a way to send/receive data to a TomTom PND over USB

jm112
jm112 Registered Users Posts: 1
Apprentice Seeker
Hi all, hoping somebody can help me.

Many years ago TomTom provided a way to send and receive data to a TomTom PND over USB, and I wondered if that was still a possibility? We have an in-house developed Windows app and are interested in pairing it with a standalone sat nav device so that we can interact with it;

For example;
  • send a destination to the sat nav (i.e. set of coordinates) and have the TomTom calculate the route and start navigating
  • send a destination and set of way points so the TomTom
  • retrieve the current ETA from the TomTom
We need to be able to do this without relying upon internet connectivity as sometimes this will not be available. We'd also prefer not to have to install any additional software on our Windows PC - we want to be able to have our own software directly send/receive data to the TomTom device.

I've searched around and cannot find any examples of this, or any SDK that might be available for this purpose. Most of the developer information relates to web-based APIs and not anything specifically relating to directly connected interactions.

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

John
Tagged:

Best Answer

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jm112
    Welcome to the community! The latest set of TomTom devices won't support transferring data via USB cable.

All the above functions can be achieved using MyDrive, but this will require internet connectivity.

Regards,
    Vikram.

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    Answer ✓
    Hi @jm112
    Welcome to the community! The latest set of TomTom devices won't support transferring data via USB cable.

All the above functions can be achieved using MyDrive, but this will require internet connectivity.

Regards,
    Vikram.