Cant connect my iphone to Go5200 for traffic updates

CharlesH
CharlesH Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited April 10 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi I have a recently purchased iphone SE and am trying to pair this with my GO 5200. It will pair but only for hands free calls - it says the traffic updates are 'not connected' and i can't seem to change this. I have updated software throughout. Is this no longer working?

Best Answers

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 544
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CharlesH -

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here as you do not need to pair your iPhone to your Go 5200 as it has an inbuilt mobile phone SIM (as far as I’m aware, connects to the Vodaphone network in the UK) to receive traffic/speed cameras data, which when purchased from new, is for the lifetime of the device. Without knowing the history - did you purchase this from new, or was it a second hand device? If the Go 5200 had not been allowed to connect to the associated mobile network within 18 months, then the inbuilt SIM is normally disconnected by the network which would then only be able to receive traffic and camera data via WiFi or Bluetooth. Please advise as if you need to connect via Bluetooth, there has been an ongoing issue within the MyDrive app/Apple IOS which we can also try to resolve.
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CharlesH -

Hopefully @VikramK, a TomTom forum moderator will be able to check your Go 5200 SIM tomorrow to see if it is still active, but in the meantime, this should be able to get your traffic and camera data from your new iPhone SE :

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings slide “Allow others to Join” to the right which then turns green, then in the popup that follows choose “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi”
    Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings allows for a single stable connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone (if it is currently installed)
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone (if you had not done this previously)
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way (press the “No” request to download and use the MyDrive app to set up the Bluetooth connection)
    4. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app if you later decide to install.
    5. - In your gps settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    6. - You are still able to install and use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,997
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

Your Go 5200 has a Sim card so you must have traffic via your Go's Sim card
    if you don't get traffic, try resetting the device to factory settings.
  • CharlesH
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you. I haven't tried that yet but I can get all the traffic details at home through my home Wifi and it used to work all the time with my previous iphone whilst driving. For some treason since I replaced my iphone it seems to not work any more. So I wonder if the phone is not compatible or there is a phone setting somewhere that I need to change but for the life of me I can't figure out what.
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Hi there @CharlesH -

Have you tried going into the menu on your Go 5200 settings under WiFi and removing your stored connection (which you only really need to download updates) by pressing the “forget” tab? This should allow the built in SIM to then take priority as the WiFi link on your device, even though out of range, is still hunting for the connection and possibly preventing the SIM to connect for data. Then reset the device by holding the power button until you hear the “drum beat” sound, and release. If this fails to connect the SIM, then as @Willy875 suggests, a full reset to factory settings should resolve.
  • CharlesH
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi - thanks for the advice but sadly this has failed to resolve the issue. I deleted the Wifi connection to start with and there is now no active Wifi connection. On pairing the iphone and TomTom the 'Data for Traffic' message flashed between connected/connecting/unable to connect and doesn't resolve. I left this for some time without a result
    I tried the factory reset and after a new pairing achieved the same result - still flashing between the three messages. This is a move on from where I was because at least it shows it is trying to connect but is still failing to do so.
    The device has worked successfully with my earlier iPhone but doesn't like my new SE. I have also tried with my wife's slightly older iPhone but that also didn't work.
    I am really not sure where to go from here as there seems to be no avenue to explore with TomTom themselves at the Chatbot just sends you round in ever decreasing circles.
    Any more thoughts would be welcomed!
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CharlesH -

There seems to be a slight misunderstanding here as you do not need to pair your iPhone to your Go 5200 as it has an inbuilt mobile phone SIM (as far as I’m aware, connects to the Vodaphone network in the UK) to receive traffic/speed cameras data, which when purchased from new, is for the lifetime of the device. Without knowing the history - did you purchase this from new, or was it a second hand device? If the Go 5200 had not been allowed to connect to the associated mobile network within 18 months, then the inbuilt SIM is normally disconnected by the network which would then only be able to receive traffic and camera data via WiFi or Bluetooth. Please advise as if you need to connect via Bluetooth, there has been an ongoing issue within the MyDrive app/Apple IOS which we can also try to resolve.
  • CharlesH
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi Kieron
    That is really interesting and surprising as I never knew that. The manual only suggests that those with a builtin SIM will work that way without seemingly specifying which has and which hasn't As someone who is baffled by all technology that is not very helpful. I bought the TomTom from new so have been using it for a number of years,.
    I suspect I have thought it needed to pair but it was in effect using its own SIM. With the Covid lockdown we haven't really been anywhere for two years so it has been idle - hence it seems that the internal SIM connection has been lost.
    If there is a way of working round by pairing with my iPhone then I would like to go with that - otherwise I suspect I will have to buy new. If you are able to help me through what I need to do then I would be very grateful.
    Thanks for your interest.

Charles
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @CharlesH -

Hopefully @VikramK, a TomTom forum moderator will be able to check your Go 5200 SIM tomorrow to see if it is still active, but in the meantime, this should be able to get your traffic and camera data from your new iPhone SE :

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings slide “Allow others to Join” to the right which then turns green, then in the popup that follows choose “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi”
    Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings allows for a single stable connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone (if it is currently installed)
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone (if you had not done this previously)
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way (press the “No” request to download and use the MyDrive app to set up the Bluetooth connection)
    4. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app if you later decide to install.
    5. - In your gps settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    6. - You are still able to install and use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.
  • CharlesH
    Apprentice Seeker
    Kieron
    I am really grateful for your help. This worked very easily and I have kept the instructions so that I can remember for future use.
    Very helpful - thank you.

Charles
  • kieron
     Superuser
    Hi @CharlesH -

Great to hear - thanks for letting the forum know. :)