Start 52 no map update.

Donwick
Donwick Registered Users Posts: 10
Master Explorer
I have had my Start 52 (S/N XRxxxxxxxx31) for some time but have never had a map update and it does not show any map in mydrive connect - only a message saying 'time to replace'. Why should I buy another Tomtom device when this one has never provided the service! Also community mapshare nevers updates when I click on the menu item.

Mod edit: Please don't post private or personal information on a public forum. Thanks!

Best Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,064
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Donwick
    A map has been activated for your TomTom, could you clear the cache in MyDrive Connect application and check for updates, please?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    I have been through the procedure many times, but I have just tried again and been successful! The difference may be that I was using the install button directly under the map or the update selected button under my updates instead of clicking on the map and then using the install button that appears in the drop down menu. Why don't the other buttons work, or was I just lucky this time? Any way thanks for your help and I am keeping my fingers crossed that future updates will work ok!

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,985
    Revered Voyager
    Come back on Monday, moderator @VikramK will review your account and assign you the service.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,064
    Answer ✓
    Hi @Donwick
    A map has been activated for your TomTom, could you clear the cache in MyDrive Connect application and check for updates, please?

Thanks,
    Vikram.
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    Map loaded ok this morning but now shows 'no maps available' on device and map installed on mydrive connect. I have cleared cache, reinstalled mydrive connect and reset device but still have no maps.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

Can you try downloading the map again by following this FAQ: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013900620-No-maps-available-MyDrive-Connect-
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    I have downloaded the map again, reinstalled mydrive connect, cleared downloads and cache, soft reset device, etc. but to no avail. The battery is not holding a charge - could this cause this problem? Powers up ok when plugged in but still no map.I am not buying a new battery until I know the device still operates correctly!
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    Ps - I have tried alternative leads as well.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    You can recharge your GPS for 2 hours on a mains charger and then try again.

A GPS should always remain connected to a charger when the GPS is turned on.
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    I have recharged the battery have been through all the steps again including a recovery/restore of the satnav. Mydrive reports that the map is loaded but the satnav either displays 'no maps available' or says its downloading maps but never completes after hours connected to the computer. I was also put in touch with a tech. advisor at one point who told me that my computer drivers were faulty and this had corrupted the map and I needed to buy another map. I think this was a scam so did not make a purchase.So what do I need to do now to restore my device?
    Regards,
    Don
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,956
    Superuser
    Hi @Donwick

Have you got an extra memory card fitted and if so have you formatted it on the Start 52 for maps.

The current maps are much bigger and so the update you are trying to load could be too big to fit on the internal memory. Micro SD class 10 cards 16gb or max 32 gb are recommended.

Doug
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    I have tried using an 8gb memory card which is formatted fat32 in windows. I can't access the memory card from the device because the menu isn't available whilst the no maps available message is shown and mydrive does not offer the option. The black and white info screen after reset does show the 8gb card. The map is only UK and Ireland and is only just over 400mb so should load ok.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Donwick

You should not have an issue with the U.K. map if that is the only one. When you inserted the memory card we’re you prompted to format it for maps. If not look in the Settings for an option to format the memory card.

Doug
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    No - I was not offered the option of formatting. The map did initially load after VikramK reactivated it a couple of days ago (I was not getting any map updates) but started showing the no maps message a little while later.
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    I can't access menu/settings while the no maps message is showing.
  • Donwick
    Master Explorer
    Answer ✓
    I have been through the procedure many times, but I have just tried again and been successful! The difference may be that I was using the install button directly under the map or the update selected button under my updates instead of clicking on the map and then using the install button that appears in the drop down menu. Why don't the other buttons work, or was I just lucky this time? Any way thanks for your help and I am keeping my fingers crossed that future updates will work ok!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Donwick

Glad you are sorted.

Doug