Traffic service on go520 using iPhone SE on bluetooth

mike-mike
mike-mike Registered Users Posts: 3
New Seeker
edited March 4 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have go520 and iphone SE. Traffic service worked fine for years via bluetooth now it only works over wifi without using phone. I have followed all available advice on resetting go520, delete and reload mydrive and forgetting and reconnecting through blue tooth. I have succeeded in making traffic service work through bluetooth connection several times but the connection is not robust. I always end up back in the same place where phone tells me it has 2 connections on bluetooth to tomtom but tomtom tells me that data is "connecting". I know about the the work around to use phone hotspot to provide wifi connection but on a long journey this makes the phone run hot and it should and did work over bluetooth reliably. Any advice gratefully received. By the way I am live support chat having posed that question 30 minutes ago, I started at position 1 and I am still at position 1!

Answers

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,457
    Exalted Pioneer
    pair phone without mydrive app
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,966
    Superuser
    Hi @mike-mike

As @rider1rider suggests pair the phone without involving the MyDrive App in the process.

Since Apple released IOS 13 the way to pair has had to change. Delete the current pairing from phone and TT unit. Then in Settings on the phone Tap Personal Hotspot and Turn that on Now with that is turned on on go to Bluetooth on the phone and TT unit and Pair the devices, remember do not open or involve the MyDrive App in this.

Once the Pairing is completed then when ever you are connecting the phone to the TT device you must have Personal Hotspot On in the phones Settings.

Doug
  • mike-mike
    New Seeker
    Thanks guys, I know about the the work around to use phone hotspot to provide wifi connection but on a long journey this makes the phone run hot and it has to be on charge all the time on which is less than convenient. It is the responsibility of device manufacturers to work with the platform providers and develop their product to adapt to changes in the underlying operating systems. Call me an idealist but tomtom should 'fess up and acknowledge that they are aware of the problem and are committed to providing a solution either that or admit otherwise. If they have something in the pipeline to restore compatibility and functionality then it might be worth waiting for but otherwise I and many others I suspect will seek that functionality in another product. If they are still selling product on the basis that traffic data and hands free calling are both available over bluetooth when in fact they are not then this is a more serious matter. I will be seeing what else is on the market!
  • kieron
    kieron Posts: 544
     Superuser
    Hi there @mike-mike -

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure
    1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings “Allow others to Join” it is set for “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi’
    Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings will be required for the stable connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way
    4. - Install the MyDrive app
    5. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app
    6. - In your Go 520 settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to still be “hunting” and take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    7. You are still able to use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.
  • mike-mike
    New Seeker
    Thanks Kieron, I knew there must be a more elegant solution. I skipped your step 4 "Install the MyDrive" app more by accident than design but it worked fine. In the light of experience I have taken the liberty of changing your wording in a couple of places for the sake of clarity and I restate it below. I now have my go 520 sat here without a WiFi connection happily pulling traffic data via bluetooth from my iPhone. It seems robust, the connection survives separation from the phone and power down/up of either or both devices. I would call this a success. Thanks again!

First of all, go to your iPhone settings, then make sure

1. WiFi is Off.
    2. Bluetooth is On.
    3. Mobile Data slider switch is to the right and showing a green colour (On).
    4. Turn on Personal Hotspot and within the settings slide “Allow others to Join” to the right to turn green, in the popup that follows choose “Bluetooth and USB Only” and NOT “Turn on WiFi”

Essentially, using the “Bluetooth and USB Only” pairing hotspot in your iPhone settings allows for a stable single connection and has less of a drain on your iPhone’s battery and no overheating issues compared to the WiFi hotspot setting.

1. - Delete the MyDrive app on your iPhone
    2. - Delete old Bluetooth pairings of the gps on your iPhone
    3. - Connect the gps to your iPhone via Bluetooth over the standard way (in other words say NO to download and use MyDrive to set up the bluetooth connection
    4. - DO NOT pair your gps via the MyDrive app
    5. - In your Go 520 settings, “forget” the current WiFi connection as this will only be required for downloads and likely to still be “hunting” and take priority over the Bluetooth connection.
    6. - You are still able to install and use the MyDrive app (signed into your account) afterwards and use it for sending destinations/routing but importantly - don’t pair your gps within the MyDrive app.
    7. - On your iPhone turn wifi back on and establish a connection to a WiFi access point.

Apple introduced new Bluetooth security permissions from iOS 13 and TomTom had tried to modify the MyDrive app to make the two separate Bluetooth connections work effectively for traffic data and calls/texts but currently remains unresolved.
  • kieron
    kieron Posts: 544
     Superuser
    Hi @mike-mike -

Glad to hear you now have traffic via Bluetooth and thanks for letting the forum know.