My new MacBook Air will not connect to my Rider 400.

CotswoldRider_54
CotswoldRider_54 Registered Users Posts: 3
Apprentice Traveler
edited September 2021 in RIDER
This appears to be because the computer has Thunderbolt 3 ports and I need to use an adapter to connect the device cable to my computer. Does anybody know if there is a cable available that will connect to the device and that has a Thunderbolt 3 connector on the other end to go into the computer. If so what is it called please and where can I get one? Thanks for your help.

Answers

• kieron
    kieron Posts: 544
     Superuser
    Hi there @CotswoldRider_54 -

Have a look on Ama*on for the USB Type-C to USB 3.1 Gen1 Female Adapter - that should be suitable. ;)
  • CotswoldRider_54
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hello Kieron thank you for your response. I do have an adapter but when I connect through this neither device recognises each other. I have spoken to TomTom support who say it will not work through an adapter. I have now ordered a cable which hopefully will fit without the need to use an adapter.

If it does not work I will buy another adapter as perhaps the one I have is not the correct one even though the cables fit.

I appreciate your help.
  • shiko
    shiko Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Hi CotsworldRider,
    I have the same issue and would like to know if your new cable solved the issue as then I could also order one.

Thanks
  • CotswoldRider_54
    Apprentice Traveler
    Unfortunately no. Tomtom told me that it will not connect to a MacAir and I should try another computer. They also suggested a newer model Tomtom would connect by Bluetooth. Neither suggestion helpful.
  • Philé134
    Philé134 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    Unfortunately no. Tomtom told me that it will not connect to a MacAir and I should try another computer. They also suggested a newer model Tomtom would connect by Bluetooth. Neither suggestion helpful.

I've got this very same issue and the cable I ordered didn't work either. I understand that devices can't continue to be supported forever but to not support USB-C is crazy!

I for one won't be buying another TomTom to get around this basic bad technical support issue, I will however take TomToms' advice and buy an old PC to support it until one or both completely die. It will be cheaper and eventually if TomTom still exists I might look to purchase and newer device but I doubt it after this will more likely move to Google maps or look for an alternative to TomTom anyway.

Good work TomTom. Another one bites the dust! :#;)

• Boldwyn
    Boldwyn Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I still don't understand why it is not possible to pass this hurdle. There is a physical connection, but it is about matching protocols. It shouldn't be to difficult to override this by a specific solution. So what is the solution?
  • Ste7ios
    Ste7ios Posts: 759
    Superuser
    It’s not only the hardware. Under the hoods of macOS there are significant changes when comparing with Intel Macs. We see them for example in issues of Time Machine & SMB…

Not sure who must be blamed for the USB connectivity issue (new technologies are always problematic at the beginning) but the usual suspect is TomTom.

Have in mind that there is no Apple Silicon native version of TT’s software, it’s running under Rosetta 2, it translates M1 code to Intel. Some apps can’t run correctly under Rosetta.

Check this one: https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136903/macbook-air-m1-and-osx-big-sur-11-4-working-ok-with-mydriveconnect-solution
  • Gra53
    Gra53 Registered Users Posts: 1
    New Seeker
    I bought an adaptor, a cable and a multifunction adapter hoping that the original cable would function by connecting to the usb A. None work, so now stuck with the inconvenience of updating. The rider 400 has never been great, it often had milky white patches which usually went away after a bit of heating, definitely will be my last TomTom.