Postcode not showing

Elton
Elton AmmanfordRegistered Users Posts: 53
Renowned Trailblazer
edited February 24 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I tried to input a postcode for an Industrial Estate near Swansea as SA9 1DT and it cannot find it. It can direct to SA9 but that is it. Even inputting the full address is unrecognisable by the device [eg 23, Ynyscedwyn Industrial Estate, Trawsffordd, Ystradgynlais, Swansea SA9 1DT].
The Industrial Estate has been there years so it's rather odd that the TomTom Go Discover 7" shows nothing. Google mapping correctly identifies and shows it.
Very odd.

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,446
    Exalted Pioneer
    do factory reset
  • Elton
    Renowned Trailblazer
    do factory reset

My maps are up to date so I cannot see how a factory reset will assist in this issue.

Can you explain how it will do so please?
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 417
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited February 26
    @Elton

The suggestion to do a factory reset (or even just switching off then on ) can often clear out any software glitches or gremlins.........

But in this case the answer is much more simple, the owners of Unit 23 (and the other units) on the Industrial Estate have not requested a POI to be inserted on the Tomtom maps showing the location of their business.

I have checked on all my devices (classic maps + NDS versions) and using the post code SA9 1DT returns "Trawsffordd" and puts a marker on the road just outside the entrance to the Industrial Estate. (my Garmin devices locates and shows the postcode as being for the whole of the Industrial Estate and then Unit 23 as somewhere within the Industrial Estate area)

Interestingly the Royal Mail postcode finder returns the postcode address as being:

Unit 23
    Ynyscedwyn Industrial Estate
    Trawsffordd Road
    Ystradgynlais
    SWANSEA
    SA9 1DT

So there is even a divergence on the naming of the road.......... B)

Simplest way forward is to request a POI for the business using Mapshare Reporter.

Or what I do for semirural locations or small businesses on Industrial estates (or even a road where all the houses are "named" instead of being numbered) is to use Google Streetmap search tools or similar to locate the building (sometimes units are not numbered or named!) and when found note down the latitude /longitude coordinates or my preference is to use MapCode to get a more accurate location fix, as our Tomtom devices will use them to navigate.

Hard work, but a postcode can cover a wide area in some areas. :(
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,966
     Superuser
    edited February 26
    Hi
    @Elton
    Welcome to the site....
    A search for "Trawsffordd" takes you take you to the Factory Estate entrance....
    mqkmkbn753gg.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Elton
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Elton

The suggestion to do a factory reset (or even just switching off then on ) can often clear out any software glitches or gremlins.........

But in this case the answer is much more simple, the owners of Unit 23 (and the other units) on the Industrial Estate have not requested a POI to be inserted on the Tomtom maps showing the location of their business.

I have checked on all my devices (classic maps + NDS versions) and using the post code SA9 1DT returns "Trawsffordd" and puts a marker on the road just outside the entrance to the Industrial Estate. (my Garmin devices locates and shows the postcode as being for the whole of the Industrial Estate and then Unit 23 as somewhere within the Industrial Estate area)

Interestingly the Royal Mail postcode finder returns the postcode address as being:

Unit 23
    Ynyscedwyn Industrial Estate
    Trawsffordd Road
    Ystradgynlais
    SWANSEA
    SA9 1DT

So there is even a divergence on the naming of the road.......... B)

Simplest way forward is to request a POI for the business using Mapshare Reporter.

Or what I do for semirural locations or small businesses on Industrial estates (or even a road where all the houses are "named" instead of being numbered) is to use Google Streetmap search tools or similar to locate the building (sometimes units are not numbered or named!) and when found note down the latitude /longitude coordinates or my preference is to use MapCode to get a more accurate location fix, as our Tomtom devices will use them to navigate.

Hard work, but a postcode can cover a wide area in some areas. :(

Very good. Thank you for such a complete answer :) I am very grateful.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,966
     Superuser
    Hi
    @Elton
    Maybe useful....
    MDW Route planner Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com
    Transfer the individual locations manually....
    Google Maps....
    With Google Maps and the MyDrive Web Route planner both running....
    (I use a 50/50 Split-screen)....
    (1)... Type the required location into the Google Maps Search Box and Click on the Magnifying glass Icon....
    (2)... Right-click on the offered location....
    (3)... A small Window opens... Left-Click on the offered Coordinate, to copy the Coordinate to the clipboard....

MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (4)... Important... Click on the MyDrive Web Route planner search box (To activate the search Box)
    (5)... Use Ctrl + v to paste the coordinates into the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (6).... Important... Press Enter on your PC Keyboard....
    The MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location and mark the location with a MyPlace Icon (i.e... Starting point)
    (7)... Right-click on the new MyPlace Icon... A new window opens....
    Select... Add a Stop, Send Destination, Add to MyPlaces or Plan a route....

Or

Google Maps....
    (1)... Right-click on the Google Map at the required location....
    (2)... A small Window opens... Left-Click on the offered Coordinate, to copy the Coordinate to the clipboard....

MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (3)... Important... Click on the MyDrive Web Route planner search box (To activate the search Box)
    (4)... Use Ctrl + v to paste the coordinates into the MyDrive Web Route planner....
    (5).... Important... Press Enter on your PC Keyboard....
    The MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location and mark the location with a MyPlace Icon (i.e... Starting point)
    (6)... Right-click on the new MyPlace Icon... A new window opens.... Select... Add a Stop, Send Destination, Add to MyPlaces or Plan a route....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Elton
    Renowned Trailblazer
    Very helpful ... thanks YFM