TomTom GO 5100 will not update

Mainliner
Mainliner Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
I've been trying to install the latest map update. The update will download to my PC, but will not install on the device. It says 'waiting for device' for a couple of minutes, then everything stops.
I've:
  • Been using the correct cable
  • Uninstalled and reinstalled My Drive Connect
  • Performed a soft reset, and factory reset, of the device
  • Emptied the Download folder
  • Tried to remove the existing map (but it won't allow me to do so) in order to install the new one
Any other suggestions would be much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,562
    Hi @Mainliner
    Welcome to the community! This could often be related to a blocking security software/firewall or a network issue.
    If you untick the option to download updates to the computer in MyDrive Connect settings, could you check if the updates work?
    tw78ley76bc5.png

Regards,
    Vikram.

• Mainliner
    Apprentice Seeker
    Vikram

Thanks for your suggestion. I unticked the option to download updates, but the problem remains.

Curiously, it's only the new map that will not install. Speed camera and community updates install without a problem. Is there a clue there?
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,117
    Superuser
    Hi @Mainliner

How much free memory do you have on the device including any free memory on any extra memory card you have fitted and formatted on the unit for maps.

Doug
  • Mainliner
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have a 32GB memory card fitted, which is formatted and currently empty. I don't get any 'memory full' warning when I try to update.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,280
    Elite Voyager
    Can you try installing a smaller map like Israel?
  • friarpat
    friarpat Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    tried installing smaller maps without success. looks like the device freezes. also, bought speed cameras and can'y download them either
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Mainliner

Assuming you mean the memory card has been Formatted by the GO5200 when you installed it I would try removing the Extra Memory Card and do a Full Format to Fat32 in a PC. Then reinstall it and if not asked by your TT unit whether you want it formatted when put it in the device then go:-

Tap Menu
    Tap Settings
    Tap System
    Tap Format Memory Card

Doug
  • Mainliner
    Apprentice Seeker
    Doug / Willy

Thanks for your suggestions. I did perform a full format of the SD card on my PC, and formatted it again (for maps) after insertion back into my GO 5100. But still no joy.

But I also did what Willy suggested above - installing a smaller map like Israel. It succeeded to download and install without a problem!

But the device will still not let me delete the old UK map, nor update it!
  • Mainliner
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited January 27
    Success! At long last, I have managed to update my UK map. But it was a bit of a strange way to do it.

I had to:
    · Go to 'My Content' and select my active map
    · Instead of 'Update', I had to select 'Change'
    · I had to reselect the existing map, and install it

I then ended up having 2 versions of the same map installed - an old one and a new one. But I was then able to remove the out-of-date version.

I got there in the end - and now I don't have to move to Israel!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @Mainliner

😂
  • endofmytether
    endofmytether UKRegistered Users Posts: 3
    New Seeker
    Thanks @Mainliner this is just the problem I was having.
    Have now managed to install the new map on my SD card - hooray!
    It's a pity TomTom can't provide those instruction on their website, or even better on the "Waiting for your device" screen. But I guess having adverts for new satnavs there is more fruitful ;-)