VIA 53 stuck in bootloop

petak
petak Registered Users Posts: 30
Prominent Wayfarer
Hi, I have a VIA 53 device that is stuck in bootloop. The device starts normally but almost immediately after loading the map restarts by itself. After several attempts I have managed to reset the device from menu-settings-system-reset (I had to be very quick) and now the device restarts in with "choose language" and after a few seconds once the maps starts loading, restarts again, and again, and again ...

I have also recovered the device OS through holding the start button-entering BIOS-pressing the start button 3 times and then connecting it ti the MyDrive connect which reinstall the OS, the device reboots and then it gets stuck in bootloop yet again.

Is there anything else I can do? The device is almost new and has lifetime maps of Europe etc.

Comments

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,024
    Hi @petak
    This could be a hardware issue. My advice would be to report this to our customer service team.

Regards,
    Vikram.
  • petak
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Believe me, I tried - "i've been chatting with the bot for a while.
    It appears to me that this is an issue with the map update - is there a way to completely erase and reformat the internal memory and reinstall the map? This appears to be a well known issue that should have a well known solution and yet it doesn't.
    The problem is not the hardware or the OS because the device boots fine, the OS loads and I can even move through the menus for a few seconds and then, when the map is supposed to be loaded, it restarts. There should be a way to have the map reinstalled completely.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,945
    Superuser
    edited February 23
    Hi @petak

If you are able to get to My Drive in your TT units Settings then press Stop Syncing (bottom right) and see if that sorts it. There is a known issue whereby some units have been restarting by themselves. Stopping the units syncing My Drive has stopped this happening in the meantime not having My Drive Syncing does not affect the "Normal" running of the units. You only need that syncing when you wish to connect to your Account to receive routes from My Drive or Updating your My Places etc.

Doug
  • petak
    Prominent Wayfarer
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @petak

If you are able to get to My Drive in your TT units Settings then press Stop Syncing (bottom right) and see if that sorts it. There is a known issue whereby some units have been restarting by themselves. Stopping the units syncing My Drive has stopped this happening in the meantime not having My Drive Syncing does not affect the "Normal" running of the units. You only need that syncing when you wish to connect to your Account to receive routes from My Drive or Updating your My Places etc.

Doug

Hi Doug,
    Thank you for trying to help, mate!
    As I mentioned in my initial post, I was able to factory reset the device and it now boots to language selection menu, meaning that MyDrive settings on the device are reset and it is not syncing. Unfortunately, it still keeps restarting after a few seconds, even if I leave it in the language selection menu.
    Best,
    Peter
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @petak

Try the following to contact an agent via chat.:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Support Box appears and at the bottom with a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available, normal working hours Mon/Fri, you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • petak
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi @petak

Try the following to contact an agent via chat.:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Support Box appears and at the bottom with a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available, normal working hours Mon/Fri, you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug

Hi,
    I can't get through and I've been trying for hours. Now the stupid support page keeps refreshing as soon as the chat window opens and it happens in both Edge and Opera. WHAT THE >>> IS WRONG WITH TT - does anything they do work?!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    edited February 24
    Hi @petak

Someone said that they could not get it to work on Edge the other day but did get it to work using Firefox which usually works for me as does Safari. Just tried Firefox and it took me to the Chat option but surprisingly said Chat is closed at the moment so offered the message option. Meanwhile Safari is playing up.

Doug

PS just turned my MacBook Off and On and Safari now working fine and took me to the Chat option which now seems to be open.
  • petak
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Hi @petak

Someone said that they could not get it to work on Edge the other day but did get it to work using Firefox which usually works for me as does Safari. Just tried Firefox and it took me to the Chat option but surprisingly said Chat is closed at the moment so offered the message option. Meanwhile Safari is playing up.

Doug

PS just turned my MacBook Off and On and Safari now working fine and took me to the Chat option which now seems to be open.

For some reason the support sub-site only works on my tablet :-))) I managed to connect with a real (?) person, we've spent some time establishing that I have already gone through all the routine resets, recoveries etc. and she is now "escalating" the issues and the pictures I've sent and (hopefully) getting back with a solution by the end of the day. Let's see how it goes.

THANK YOU again for you help, mate - really appreciate it. So far you've been way more helpful than the people getting paid for it!
  • petak
    Prominent Wayfarer
    Well, after exchanging several emails, pictures and videos, they've asked me to sent it back to them for repair, which will cost 100 EUR plus - clearly, not very feasible. The device has been used very little and the fault is obviously a software one. The state of TT support is rather ... not inspiring.
  • Dennish23
    Dennish23 Registered Users Posts: 7
    Apprentice Seeker
    I have the same problem after using mydrive on Firefox on Linux, and setting the sync option. My VIA53 gets stuck in a reboot loop, it was fine before so I agree it is a TomTom software problem. To stop it, I had to get to the settings, mydrive menu on the VIA53 and stop it syncing. I have tried to fix it by going into the mydrive app on the PC and checking all the settings are as before, but this does not fix it. This means I can not sync my VIA53 with mydrive on the PC which make mydrive on the PC useless for me.
  • exNewbie
    exNewbie Registered Users Posts: 1
    Apprentice Seeker
    I've been having the same issue for a while (6+ months). Hope this thread is looked after by TT.