privacy smartphone vs hardware gps device...

what does give the most/best privacy if I dont want any google and/or other tracking when using tomtom? I would assume that using your smartphone it's a tracking device "in the wrong hands" so to speak - but what about the "real" GPS units that both tomtom and other brands still make - 5" - 7" displays... do they use any other data than GPS (ok yes if maps are updated but thats another thing) ... but when using them and they do only have GPS right? so they must be more private?

and about a "real" GPS device - if it's set to make "live updates" (to show maybe a car-que etc etc) it uses once smartphone (or does it?) then its not private anymore? or have I mistaken that totally?

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,894
    Revered Voyager
    If you don't want to be spied on, buy a low-end GPS, you don't need to connect it to your phone.
  • spraycleaner
    spraycleaner Registered Users Posts: 7
    New Seeker
    low end .. what about the 299USD top model from tomtom and then simply not use that "live update" feature where it connects to phone etc. and just via WIFI update the maps once a year..
    I like the "gps device" the product to be nice :-) It's not so much about what it costs but more I dont want the government and other wierd entities to spy on my - I just need GPS to find around a new big city I live in :-)

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,894
    Revered Voyager
    You can buy the top end Go Discover or you can buy the bottom end GO Essential which also has lifetime cards.

It's your choice.
  • spraycleaner
    spraycleaner Registered Users Posts: 7
    New Seeker
    Thanks willy and others super support here thanks

One last question before I purchase anything ...I am right about my speculation about using once smarthphone right? Better with HArdware?