Postcodes

Covkid62
Covkid62 Registered Users Posts: 614
Supreme Navigator
just tried to navigate to an address in Warwick CV34 5GS and my Go discover can't find it but google maps does and I'm finding that a lot of the time when I navigate to an address it stops quite a while before I get where I need to go so is it poor maps or poor device

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,116
    Superuser
    edited January 31
    Hi @Covkid62

The Post Office and Parcelforce postcode finders cant find it either. Also the Warwickshire police are listed by Google as having that Postcode yet if you input the postcode in the Warwickshire Police website it cant find it. ???? Also the Co-Operative footstore listed by Google at No 90 Cape Road, Warwick, CV34 5GS has a different postcode, CV34 5AB, on another website.

If you know the house number in a postcode you can add that to the search such as CV345GS 14 this is likely to take yo to the actual address not the Postcodes general centre position.

Doug
  • John-Jay
    John-Jay Registered Users Posts: 749
    Revered Pioneer
    Hi, @Covkid62 & @DougLap ,

Interesting comment (within the Red-Banner) on this Site!
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 480
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Covkid62 @DougLap @John-Jay

Whilst on this occasion the post code has been terminated, post codes, especially in rural area can cover a fairly wide area and may account for why your device stops some way before the actual destination – as mentioned above, adding a house number / road will help.

I prefer to do a bit more work, specifically in locating rural address and will either find and use the latitude / longitude or the Mapcode which can narrow down a location literally to within a few feet.
  • John-Jay
    John-Jay Registered Users Posts: 749
    Revered Pioneer
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    @Covkid62 @DougLap @John-Jay

Whilst on this occasion the post code has been terminated, post codes, especially in rural area can cover a fairly wide area and may account for why your device stops some way before the actual destination – as mentioned above, adding a house number / road will help.

I prefer to do a bit more work, specifically in locating rural address and will either find and use the latitude / longitude or the Mapcode which can narrow down a location literally to within a few feet.

@Lost_Soul ,

Yes! I visit a Location where the Post Code does cover a large Area - in fact, if I was to rely on TomTom, it would take me to a Location nearly a mile away!! :#
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Covkid62

The Post Office and Parcelforce postcode finders cant find it either. Also the Warwickshire police are listed by Google as having that Postcode yet if you input the postcode in the Warwickshire Police website it cant find it. ???? Also the Co-Operative footstore listed by Google at No 90 Cape Road, Warwick, CV34 5GS has a different postcode, CV34 5AB, on another website.

If you know the house number in a postcode you can add that to the search such as CV345GS 14 this is likely to take yo to the actual address not the Postcodes general centre position.

Doug

Hi Doug

It was actually the co-op I was looking for as I had a job to do there.
    If I have the number I do try and put that in but a lot of the places i go to have addresses like 101-103 etc so It never seems to find them and when it sometimes does they are quite a distance away from where I need to be
  • Covkid62
    Supreme Navigator
    DougLap wrote: »
    Hi @Covkid62

Try the Mapcodes App. If you set the Map to Hybrid you see a Map that looks like the Google Earth Sat Map. You can input an Address, a Postcode or a Long/Lat and then scroll around the map until you have a precise Mapcode for the destination you want . So for example if you type the Mapcode GBR CK.XO it will take you to the gated entrance to the Royal Mews at Buckingham Palace. You can basically use a Mapcode to get a route to a Parking space in a Car Park.

If you Type the CV34 5AB postcode in mapcodes ., IE the Postcode that I mentioned is given for the Co-op on another website it actually centres on the Co-op

Doug

cheers for that Doug I'll give that a try and see.