Rider 550: what if you skip a waypoint along a saved route? Does it nag you to go back?

uktomtommer
uktomtommer Registered Users Posts: 86
Outstanding Wayfarer
I would like to understand what happens if you ride along a route (imported from a gpx file) but, for whatever reason, skip a waypoint.

In an older thread about the Rider 450, someone complained that the TomTom forces you to go back, whereas the Garmin is smart enough to understand you are now heading to the next waypoint and doesn't nag you. Then someone else said that this happens with ITN files, but not with gpx files, but the details are not clear to me.

Could someone elaborate and confirm if the same happens with the Rider 550?
I have searched the manual but couldn't find much.

If I skip a waypoint:
  • does the TomTom always force me to go back?
  • does it force me to go back a few times, then understands I don't want to do that and directs me to the next waypoint?
  • is there some kind of easily pressable pop up button to tell it I don't want to go back, or do I have to pull over and navigate the menus?
  • in what way does the TomTom behave differently, with ITN and GPX files, when it comes to missed waypoints?
  • Does the TomTom show and use traffic data when navigating along a gpx route?
Tagged:

Comments

• rider1rider
    rider1rider Registered Users Posts: 1,446
    Exalted Pioneer
    same on a 550 model
  • uktomtommer
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    @rider1rider Could you please elaborate?
    IF I am riding along a gpx route and I miss a way point, what happens, exactly?
    Will the TomTom ask me to go back a few times (how many? 2? 3? 6?) before giving up and letting me continue?
    Does the TomTom pop up a button on the screen I could press without pulling over, like the Garmin does?
    Does the Tom Tom still show traffic data on a gpx route?
    What exactly is the difference between a gpx and an itn route and when would I want one vs the other?

Thank you!
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,909
    Revered Voyager
    Look at this post https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1697072/#Comment_1697072 @RoadRider gives a lot of details about waypoints (Tomtom)
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,967
     Superuser
    edited January 30
    Hi
    @uktomtommer & @rider1rider
    A Route planned directly on the device generates a .ITN Route....
    A Route planned using MyDrive Web Route planner and saved to the device using the 'Send Destination' or 'Send Stops' option is a .ITN Route....

A Route planned using MyDrive Connect and saved to the device using the Save & Sync option is a .GPX Track... The device will follow the track like a Breadcrumb trail...
    The track is fixed, and the device will >> NOT << display the Stops or respond to Live Traffic... Also, a .GPX Track can be a little hit or miss for a complex journey....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1647705/#Comment_1647705

I prefer .ITN Routes....
    A Route planned directly on the device is a .ITN Route
    An .ITN Route uses Stops and the device plans the route between the stops... An .ITN Route will respond to Live Traffic and any route deviations BUT an .ITN route will doggedly follow the stops in the order they were created, if you miss a stop, the device will continuously attempt to guide you to the missed stop... You have to cancel the problem stop on the device to avoid it

If you want to force a different route you simply add more stops
    Note...When you add the extra Stops Max Zoom right into the road
    Don't put the stop on the wrong side of a dual track road (Journey loop back errors)
    Don't put the stop up a side-road... It may guide you though a built-up area via side streets back to your route, instead of a u-turn
    Don't put the stop on a traffic Island always place a guidance stop further up the road on the route after the required traffic island exit....

How to skip/delete an .ITN Route Stop....
    With a route planned... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Current Route --> Skip Next stop...
    OR
    (1)... If you are on the Driving/Riding Map view
    (2)... Tap the Direction of Travel Icon (Above the + & - signs) to switch to the North-up Overview Planning Map....
    (3)... Pinch zoom the map to the required Stop....
    (4)... Quick Tap on the Stop/Waypoint Icon you wish to ignore... A Quick menu opens with a 3Dot Icon --> Tap on the 3Dot Icon --> Tap Delete this Stop....
    Note... This is only possible with .ITN Routes....
    Note... A Long Tap (Tap & Hold for + 1 Second) and a Quick tap will give different menu options

Maybe Useful....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1720215/#Comment_1720215

Note... The .ITN Route format is a proprietary file type for TomTom devices... On the early Tomtom devices there were several different types of Stops/Waypoints available when planning a route....
    On the later/latest devices Tomtom only allow 1 type of Stop/Waypoint when planning a route....
    Wikipedia... Itinerary file
    See... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Itinerary_file

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • uktomtommer
    Outstanding Wayfarer
    @YamFazMan , thank you!
    In my case, I'd be importing gpx routes created elsewhere (e.g. in CaliMoto).

My main question has to do with what happens if I need to take a detour. Let's say my route passes through A,B,C, and D. Let's say that the road where B is closed for whatever reason (collision, roadworks, etc) so I must go from A to C without passing through B.
    Is my best option to leave the route as a gpx file, without trying to convert it to an itn file, because if I leave it as gpx, then the Rider will not nag me to go back to B if I am already close enough to, or past, C ?

If I understand correctly, the Garmin Zumo XT has a button readily available on the screen that you can push to skip waypoint / go to the next one. The same thing with the TomTom requires diving into the menus, ie pulling over. So, on this point alone, the Garmin seems better, right?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,909
    Revered Voyager
    edited January 30
    When you have not reached the planned route, the rider will ask you to turn around or turn left or right to join the route.
  • RoadRider
    RoadRider Registered Users Posts: 750
    Revered Pioneer
    @uktomtommer a GPX route wil always be an Track on the Rider. (Unless you use edit and send stops in MyDrive. (Max 20 stops))
    A track is an Breadcrumb trail that exactly follows the path calculated by in your case Calimoto. (There are no WayPoints anymore only an extremely detailed path)
    Be aware that a .GPX can both contain a Track and a Route. The route only contains the Stops (WayPoints) and the calculated path between stops can change dramatically based on the chosen route preferences. (So use the track in the GPX file)
    The track will exactly follow the path calculated by Calimoto as long as accessible roads are available on the loaded TomTom map.

When you leave a active track the Rider will calculate the shortest route to get back to your track.

When you make or load a .ITN route you have te visit every Stop or skip it in the menu. (To use a route from Calimoto use a tool to convert it to an .ITN file an load it on the Rider with an USB cable.)

In case you want to follow the path calculated by Calimoto I prefer Tracks. (When you want to visit stop use a .ITN route)

I also owned a Zumo XT. This also loads a Route or a Track. Riding a route you can skip soft Waypoint. Hard Waypoint are still mandatory. To set this you only can use BaseCamp as Route planing tool. With other planing tools its better to use Tracks.
    Riding Tracks Garmin usually needs recalculation off. On te XT you can set recalculation to on. Recalculation is much slower than on the TomTom Rider. And the XT forgets the original path. So if the recalculation takes an detour an you ride back to the original track it will still send you to the detour. (The Rider doesn’t make this mistake) Some times the XT completely wrecks the path during recalculation. (Then you have to stop an reload it)
    Also to get Route instructions from a track you have to calculate a route from the track on the Zumo XT. This is a slow proces.
    This are also the main reasons why I sold my Garmin.