Not getting as many POI results in Offline Search

Knopper100
Knopper100 Registered Users Posts: 3
New Seeker
Hello,

I have my maps saved offline for North Carolina, United States.
If I do a search for Best Buy (it is a popular electronic store chain with 3-5 stores in the area) when offline, I do not get any results near my city (Raleigh, North Carolina) even though there are POIs known by TomTom.
If I do this search online (switching on WiFi), I get the results near me.
Similarly if I am on WiFi, if I go into Settings>TomTom Services>Online search and turn this off, I cannot get the Best Buy POI results near me.

If I download North Carolina offline, why don't all of the POIs download with it? OR if it is downloading all POIs, why are the search results missing when offline? The Best Buy stores near me are nowhere to be found in the offline search results.

Bug? Storage saving measure?

It would be really nice to be able to use this application offline completely and be able to look up all POIs as long as they are downloaded offline.

iPhone XS running app version 2.8.3

Comments

• lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,008
    edited January 25
    Hi @Knopper100

Welcome to the Community and thanks for the details here! It's expected that you will find more POIs with an online search which enhances your search results with online data.
    Knopper100 wrote: »
    Bug? Storage saving measure?
    I think it is about the map size. As a workaround, you can save the frequent places you like as a favorite if it's not available offline.

Best, lampard

• Knopper100
    New Seeker
    Hey lampard,

Thank you for the quick reply. I use this on a phone that does not have cellular data service, so sometimes I am already out traveling and trying to look up places while offline. I try to use this phone as a standalone navigation device and think the option to download all POIs offline would be helpful.

Another scenario besides mine where it could be helpful is if a driver is traveling in a rural area without service and in need to look up a gas station, food, or other urgent needs.

I hope TomTom will consider this.
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 388
    Supreme Pioneer
    edited January 25
    Hi @Knopper100,

I run TomTom GO on an old iPhone 6s Plus that doesn't have a SIM card. My iPhone 12 is set as a Personal Hotspot so that the iPhone 6s Plus can still use data to find POIs. Admittedly this is in the UK where mobile phone signal is generally good, even in rural areas.

Unfortunately, TomTom doesn't seem to like its customers using third-party POIs. I use a tremendous third-party POI Manager iOS app called POIViewer, which has good search options, and once you have the POI of your choice, you can ask POIViewer to launch TomTom with that POI as the destination. I guess that you can download Best Buy POIs from Best Buy's website.

Regards,
  • Knopper100
    New Seeker
    I use a tremendous third-party POI Manager iOS app called POIViewer

I will have to look into this. So if I'm understanding what you said, the Online search function is searching online for third-party POIs? Hence why they don't downloaded offline? If so that would make more sense cause I was under the impression TomTom was under complete ownership of their POIs and when I download offline, was only getting a fraction of them to save space...
  • PrivateerUK
    PrivateerUK Registered Users Posts: 388
    Supreme Pioneer
    @Knopper100,

I don't know why TomTom has problems with POIs.

On my travels, I create my POIs in a temporary group in POIViewer, and when I get home, I save them in the appropriate spreadsheet. I then extract the relevant data from the spreadsheet to a POI category which I then send to the POIViewer.

I also download third-party POIs from trusted websites, either GPS related or the organisation's website.

Finally, POIViewer can also do an online (Google?) search and create a list of the POIs.

POIViewer is not free, it's about £4.00, but I think it's worth it.