How to enable voice recognition on my tom tom go premium

Jimmymerlin
Jimmymerlin Registered Users Posts: 21
Master Explorer
edited January 20 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Hi. I have just spent ages on the tom tom support help line , trying to find out how to use POI's and Voice control on my Go Premium. The agent sent me a link ( which was huge) and told me to read about voices , as he was busy and had other people waiting to chat to him !!!! The previous agent told me to reset my device, which i did and it should work, but it didnt. I have now read through all of the items in the link the agent sent me on Voices , but it does not tell you what to do if the "Hello Tom Tom " command does not work. I have tried lots of things , but cannot get my Go to respond to a voice command. Can anyone talk me through the procedure, step by step please, so that i can use this function. Possibly my mistake , but until today, i had not realised i could use my voice to control my Tom Tom !!!!! I wish Tom Tom still supported my Old Tom Tom 970 as i could use that one very easily ! Many thanks. Stay safe. Jimmymerlin

Best Answer

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,015
     Superuser
    edited January 20 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Jimmymerlin
    When you select the Serena voice....
    Here... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voices... Serena... Does the Voice say "Hi, I'm Serena I can read aloud Road numbers Street names" etc etc.
    or is there NO announcement from the Serena voice ???

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Jimmymerlin
    Master Explorer
    Thank you for the reply and the information. but unfortunately this does not help and i have read the articles already and they dont offer any new suggestions. It does say voice control is not available on all models, so i am wondering if mine can be controlled by voice ????? But again, I dont know how to find this out. Thanks for taking the time to reply to me. Stay safe. Jimmymerlin
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,959
    Superuser
    edited January 20
    Hi @Jimmymerlin

The Go Premium does have the Voice Control facility.

You need to have a Computerised Voice loaded, when you look at the list of voices each one will indicate if it is a Computerised or a Recorded voice. Once a Computerised voice is selected then you need to activate Voice control in Settings

There is an issue re voices at the moment but let’s get you set up correctly first.

Doug
  • Jimmymerlin
    Master Explorer
    I have used Serena as my tom tom voice which is a computerised voice, so she can read out street names etc for me . I have looked in Voice control in settings, but how do you "Activate" it as you suggested above please.
    Many thanks
    Jimmymerlin
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited January 20 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @Jimmymerlin
    When you select the Serena voice....
    Here... Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voices... Serena... Does the Voice say "Hi, I'm Serena I can read aloud Road numbers Street names" etc etc.

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    edited January 21
    Hi
    @Jimmymerlin
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    (Snip) When you select the Serena voice....
    Workaround for Installing or reinstalling Voices on a Wi-Fi connected device using the Menu structure of MyDrive Connect....

Using MyDrive Connect.…
    Check.... My Content --> My Voices --> 'Add Voices to your device'... Are the Serena and or Malcolm the UK Voices available in the list to install ???
    If 'Yes'... Try reinstalling the Serena or Malcolm UK voice using MyDrive Connect plus My Workaround... As you know all the updates on a GO Wi_Fi connected devices are executed on the Menu structure on the device, the Workaround allows you to use the MyDrive Connect Menu structures on a Wi-Fi Connected Device....
    Tip... If you are installing the TTS Computer voices, they are larger MB sized files... The recorded voices' are smaller KB sized files (The TTS voices can read out Street names, Road signs etc)
    Note... This workaround doesn't work on the latest GO Discover Models....

See Workaround Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure.

Using the above method, 1st I reinstalled the Malcolm Voice...
    Note... I did experience a small glitch when I tested the Malcolm voice, the voice was installed, but when I tested the voice it was silent, no spoken instructions ???
    Then I reinstalled the Serena Voice, using the above method... After installing the voice, I Tapped 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voices to select the voice, and Serena, Malcolm were now both working normally again :)

Stay Safe ATB YFM