Does TOMTOM Go Navigation for android still offer free trial periods?

uncinogb
uncinogb Registered Users Posts: 6
New Seeker
When I try to install the latest version, 3.3.53, I am asked immediately to choose a plan, 1, 6 or 12 months, instead of being offered a trial period. Has this been discontinued and are we being forced to pay immediately to try out this product?

Comments

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,985
    Revered Voyager
    The offer is limited to a free trial period of 30 days per user.
  • uncinogb
    New Seeker
    That is what the web site seems to indicate, but in reality I do not get even a single second of trial as I just cannot run the app without paying first. Never installed it before on any of my phones. Has anybody else had similar bad experience?
    There is also a TomTom site that says: "Claim your free 3-month trial today" and when you click on the link you are presented with a screen that asks you to pay for a 4 month subscription instead. Great!
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    surely a bug?
    Check back tomorrow to see what moderators @lampard or @Jürgen have to say.
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,006
    edited January 18
    Hi @uncinogb

Welcome to the Community! I think there's only a 30-days free trial for the new users. Are you trying to redeem any voucher code from TomTom or one of our partners?
    There is also a TomTom site that says: "Claim your free 3-month trial today" and when you click on the link you are presented with a screen that asks you to pay for a 4 month subscription instead. Great!
    Can you also share this link, please?

Best, lampard
  • uncinogb
    New Seeker
    Here is the link that claims one can claim the three months trial. Yes I now realize it was not a TomTom web page but it seems it was a TomTom sponsored ad dated 27 October 2021, not long ago.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    @uncinogb

The link is missing?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    It's not very clear this three month free trial in the cart it's a 3 month subscription but you have to pay 4.99?

So in reality it's 1 month free 2 months paid?
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    7tld40d9bfh1.jpg
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,308
    Community Manager
    This must be an outdated promotion. I'm checking if we can fix this. Thanks for the link.

The one-time trial should be offered if your Google account has never had it before. What's the region of your Play Store?
  • uncinogb
    New Seeker
    It is UK. Thanks for the input. I think my set up must be screwed up. I will try again and see if I can clear the mess. I seem to remember that several years ago I did try an old version of TomTom and then gave it up almost immediately when I discovered that with Sygic I was able to pay a life time fee only. Now TomTom has become interesting again as it now is said to be able to display on the car screen via AndroidAuto. This very old trial might be the one that is causing the problem?
  • Jürgen
    Jürgen Community Managers, Administrators Posts: 7,308
    Community Manager
    The GO Navigation app has overwritten the GO Mobile app. It will consider you a previous subscriber and that should be why the trial isn't offered.
  • uncinogb
    New Seeker
    But I no longer had the old version of Go on my phone. I uninstalled it ages ago when I decided to reject the monthly charge. In fact, if I remember rightly, I had even restored my phone to factory settings a few years ago. Presumably Google has not forgotten it though and it is still listing it in its database.