TomTom GO 5200 wifi: keeps on switching off voice commands

georgedb
georgedb Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Seeker
I hope this is the right forum, as my GO 5200 Wifi wasn't listed among all groups, although it is not that old.
I tried to get in touch with Tomtom Customer Support, first through the stupid chatbot, then through a real person. Have they gone bankrupt? As even after 1,5h, no one responded! There is no phone number either, they just route "valued" customers to a forum so other users can answer instead of Tomtom? I got an email as a sort of wrap-up of the chat and according to instructions, I should be able to communicate with customer support by replying on it, but after more than 1.5 weeks, nothing happened. Just send a reminder again, but I don't have much faith in receiving an answer.

To the problem ;-) I have a GO 5200 Wifi. When I activate voice commands, I can do only one request and then voice commands are automatically switched off (mic icon with 'slash' over it), which I need to solve manually, by tapping on the device. This is really annoying. Voice control is switched on, but keeps on switching itself off when trying to us it. I don't use it all the time, but it might be related to some recent update that this behavior started.

I might do a factory reset, but am not sure if I would lose all recent navigation addresses and/or other settings. Can these be backed up otherwise I would need to write these down?!
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,116
    Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi @georgedb

Not experienced that scenario on my units. Regarding doing a Factory Reset if you go to the My Drive Website and log into your account as well as being able to create routes there and send them to your device it should show the list of My Places and My Routes, except routes created and saved on the device.. When you do the factory reset then when you go through the Setup precess as you did when first bought then the unit should restore the My Places and Routes listed the My Drive Website.

Regrading any routes you may have created on the device these will be shown in the devices My Routes folder and will have a solid shafted Arrow against them rather than a broken shafted arrow. To recover these use a small Memory card too export them from the device and you can then reimport after the Factory Reset. You will need a map on the internal memory to be able to do this so if you have not got one there then download the Iraq map onto the unit from the Worldwide maps list.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan UKPosts: 21,349
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @georgedb
    Welcome to the site....
    georgedb wrote: »
    (Snip) I tried to get in touch with Tomtom Customer Support, first through the stupid chatbot, then through a real person. Have they gone bankrupt? As even after 1,5h, no one responded! There is no phone number either, they just route "valued" customers to a forum, so other users can answer instead of Tomtom? I got an email as a sort of wrap-up of the chat and according to instructions, I should be able to communicate with customer support by replying on it, but after more than 1.5 weeks, nothing happened. Just send a reminder again, but I don't have much faith in receiving an answer.
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 & Staff working from home….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083
    To the problem, ;-) I have a GO 5200 Wi-Fi. When I activate voice commands, I can do only one request and then voice commands are automatically switched off (mic icon with 'slash' over it), which I need to solve manually, by tapping on the device. This is really annoying. Voice control is switched on, but keeps on switching itself off when trying to us it. I don't use it all the time, but it might be related to some recent update that this behaviour started.
    Where are you seeing the 'Mic icon with 'slash' over it' ???
    To activate voice control...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voice Control... Set the switch to on....
    I might do a factory reset, but am not sure if I would lose all recent navigation addresses and/or other settings. Can these be backed up, otherwise I would need to write these down?!
    If you Factory Reset your device, the device will be set back to the setting when you purchased the device ... The Maps, Speed Cams & Traffic status will remain unchanged
    Use the MyDrive Web Route planner to Save & Sync your MyPlaces etc To & From the Tomtom cloud....
    Here...https://mydrive.tomtom.com/

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • georgedb
    Apprentice Seeker
    Sorry for my late reply, many things were going on...
    YamFazMan wrote: »
    Hi @georgedb
    Welcome to the site....
    (Snip) I tried to get in touch with Tomtom Customer Support, first through the stupid chatbot, then through a real person. Have they gone bankrupt? As even after 1,5h, no one responded! There is no phone number either, they just route "valued" customers to a forum, so other users can answer instead of Tomtom? I got an email as a sort of wrap-up of the chat and according to instructions, I should be able to communicate with customer support by replying on it, but after more than 1.5 weeks, nothing happened. Just send a reminder again, but I don't have much faith in receiving an answer.
    Contacting Tomtom Support….
    Due to COVID-19 & Staff working from home….
    The phone service has been suspended (Indefinitely)
    In all honesty, what is the relation between working from home and shutting down the phone service? Many companies still provide phone support, there are many smart solutions, it is 2021 and we have something going on called the Internet ;-) Works flawlessly with a virtual call center.
    The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours
    Good to know, thanks. A miracle why you would not be able to send an email within office hours, it would be much easier.
    Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083
    To the problem, ;-) I have a GO 5200 Wi-Fi. When I activate voice commands, I can do only one request and then voice commands are automatically switched off (mic icon with 'slash' over it), which I need to solve manually, by tapping on the device. This is really annoying. Voice control is switched on, but keeps on switching itself off when trying to us it. I don't use it all the time, but it might be related to some recent update that this behaviour started.
    Where are you seeing the 'Mic icon with 'slash' over it' ???
    The initial starting phrase works (the command set by me as a user), then no sound that you can start speaking and the microphone no longer works. When I go to the menu item Voice Control, in the lower left corner, there is a microphone icon with a slash through it shown, while with a blue background at the top of the screen the text that is usually spoken is displayed. Sound is on. When I tap the microphone icon, the two tones sound, the microphone is shown without the slash and my command is recognized. Microphone is switched off again and I can't give a next command. I need to switch on the mic by tapping it all the time, which makes no sense of course.
    To activate voice control...
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> Voice Control... Set the switch to on....
    Yup, that's were I went.
    I might do a factory reset, but am not sure if I would lose all recent navigation addresses and/or other settings. Can these be backed up, otherwise I would need to write these down?!
    If you Factory Reset your device, the device will be set back to the setting when you purchased the device ... The Maps, Speed Cams & Traffic status will remain unchanged
    Use the MyDrive Web Route planner to Save & Sync your MyPlaces etc To & From the Tomtom cloud....
    Here...https://mydrive.tomtom.com/
    I went to that website, didn't see a functionality to import my places from the device. So decided to type in the addresses online and removed them from the device. BTW, previously there was a handy bug: addresses that were no longer shown in the list, were still there, and could be shown again by removing other addresses from the list. This no longer works, but I new the missing addresses. Nevermind. Typed in the addresses and an optional name. And sent these to the device. This is a nightmare! I typed in the address "Mies van der Rohestraat 36" which ends up in the device as "Mies van der Rohestraat 38". The address "Geul 14", ends up as "Geul" (house number missing). The address "Meninge 60" becomes "Mensinge 65". WHAT ON EARTH IS GOING ON! This is extremely annoying.

I also tried the Windows application. I expect it to update automatically, but in the statusbar a 2015 copyright message is shown (!) and when I check the version (cog wheel, tab "Info"), it shows: "Copyright 2017" and MyDrive Connect version 4.2.12.4208. I do not see an upgrade button. Furthermore, I see a way to make the device empty again (seems like all maps are then removed...). In the tab "My contents" (application is in Dutch, so translated on the fly, might have a different writing, because I set that I live in The Netherlands, which makes no sense as I can live in NL and prefer an English language interface), I see updates and new items. My maps. My voices. My services. I don't see any of my locations here, but maybe that only works with the website...
  • peta-x
    peta-x Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    The microphone switches off after hello TomTom voice command, icon muted. TomTom is not listening.

I have the exact same problem with my Go, it started reasonably recently.

I say "Hello TomTom" and the screen changes to the commands, but the device no longer says I am listening, as the microphone has switched itself off. See image, the top right it is written '"I'm listening", but it's not, and the voice does not read it, as you see the bottom left circled in yellow a microphone icon that has a stroke through indicating the microphone is muted or switched off. In order to make a voice command the icon has to be pressed, so it can hear you. And so it goes on for each exchange. It was not like this when I bought it.

twknccv9hpvx.jpg

I use the phone feature mainly, the voice commands rarely, but it is an issue that has appeared in the last few weeks since an update. I also had an update for traffic cameras go crazy and many cameras that usually get flagged were not on the map at all, that was today 17 Jan 2022. This is when I discovered the issue with voice commands, as I was deinstalling the cameras in order to reinstall them, it is a known problem I discovered, and that was TomToms remedy.

I get a feeling that this issue with the voice commands will become one soon, as now there are two of us, and this the only place on google where the issue has been raised. Muted voice commands microphones icon that you have to press every time to speak is obviously not how it supposed to work, and a factory reset (twice) has made no difference.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 7,271
    Elite Voyager
    Have you tried to factory reset the device.
  • peta-x
    peta-x Registered Users Posts: 2
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited January 17
    Thanks for your interest.

A factory reset (twice) has made no difference.
  • georgedb
    Apprentice Seeker
    Exact same behavior, reset the device many, many times now, but it does not really look like a factory reset.
    Seems indeed related to some update some time ago, I don't use voice control very often, but it should just work.

Since resetting the device, an (very) unwanted side effect has become that there is no sound currently!. When you tap on the button [Menu], you see that the volume level is half way: played with it, no sound anymore.
    When I manually switch on the mic in voice control, I get the two beeps so sound is working properly. As far as I recall, this is only since resetting.

Official instructions TomTom sent after broadcasting the same annoyances as described above on Facebook:
    "a) Issue- Voice Instruction icon (at the bottom, right corner) get slash line automatically- Please perform a factory reset, refer to this link- https://bit.ly/3bG1L0B (Note- When device restart > on the 'Select Language Screen' > restart the GPS device, refer to this one- https://bit.ly/3BD7H4Y).

Once the device is up and running please use it for a day and check.
    "

No idea why I would need to run it for a day???

(this one is called issue "a", as there is also a "b"-issue, which is addresses typed in on mydrive.tomtom.com, end up ALTERED in the device, that is housenumbers are deleted or CHANGED, bizarre - see addresses (in NL) is my post above)
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,116
    Superuser
    Hi @peta-x

I would try the following based on what you have tried already.

https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1034277/how-to-recover-your-device#latest

The tricky bit is the timing of the three Taps. Quickly within about a second.

Doug
  • georgedb
    Apprentice Seeker
    That might be a handy procedure, but I guess not without any risk...
    If TomTom doesn't mention this themselves, I'll point it out to them.
    I'd rather have TomTom approve this step, as it seems quite low level (which indeed might finally solve things), and this looks like the typical company that then claims that I should not have performed this step...

For the use of this TomTom software on my laptop, see my remarks in my initial post above: "I also tried the Windows application. I expect it to update automatically, but in the statusbar a 2015 copyright message is shown (!) and when I check the version (cog wheel, tab "Info"), it shows: "Copyright 2017" and MyDrive Connect version 4.2.12.4208. I do not see an upgrade button."

To avoid any new issues, how do I know if I'm running the latest software on my laptop?
  • georgedb
    Apprentice Seeker
    For my previous comment in my post on January 7, I indicated "Since resetting the device, an (very) unwanted side effect has become that there is no sound currently!. When you tap on the button [Menu], you see that the volume level is half way: played with it, no sound anymore.".

I have found out why,,,

As a Dutchie, Tomtom gives me 3 Dutch and 3 Belgian voices by default. One o echt is indicated as able to read street names, so that is what I selected after resetting the device. It now turns out that both do not work. The other 4 do work, there is sound again. So, for those interested these voices are not working: Xander and Ellen.
    These are working: Bram, Eva, Bernard, Lucie.

AGAIN a hilarious bug, what a sad, sad company,
  • georgedb
    Apprentice Seeker
    After finding numerous other bugs, TomTom contacted me with another, this time real low level, trick to reset the device. Just a couple of days ago the device asked me "Are you going to the office" and spontaneously and mysterically voice control worked all of a sudden...