GO 620 crashes on trying to open the menu (factory reset does not help / bricked.)

ChrisC3k
ChrisC3k Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
I have a GO 620. Yesterday I ran a software update which brought it up to the latest version. The device was functioning fine for a while, until I tried re-arranging icons on the main menu. At some point the device seemed to crash and restarted. After the restart, I'm now unable to open the main menu at all:
  1. While sitting on the home screen, press the ".... Menu" button.
  2. Device screen dims and goes black.
  3. Screen stays black for a few seconds.
  4. The map appears to reload and I'm back right on the home screen again.
  5. If I press the ".... Menu" button again, it just repeats and I can't open the menu.

I can still scroll around the map, zoom in / out and it shows where I am - but I just can't get into the menu or do anything, so the device is useless.

I tried a factory reset - twice - using the instructions from this page - it was tricky to get that to work, but I eventually managed to put the device in recovery mode, connect to my PC and reinstall the firmware. But after successfully updating, restarting and accepting the initial data privacy prompts - I get the same result as above, I still can't open the main menu.

If I had to guess, I'm speculating that some on-device configuration got corrupt when it crashed and a factory reset doesn't actually erase this corrupt configuration.

What should I do next? How to proceed from here to get my device working again?
Tagged:

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,984
     Superuser
    Hi
    @ChrisC3k
    Welcome to the site....
    Do you have a Micro SDHC memory cart installed ??? If 'Yes' try removing the Memory card...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • ChrisC3k
    Apprentice Seeker
    Hi @YamFazMan, thanks for your response.

No, there is no MicroSD card in the device.

I've discovered that I can still use navigation if I long-press on the map to select a destination - but whenever I press the menu button, it still crashes immediately so it's not really usable.
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,984
     Superuser
    Hi
    @ChrisC3k
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • ChrisC3k
    Apprentice Seeker
    @YamFazMan - that was the first thing I tried. I've tried resetting multiple times, including using that method. Power off, power back on, drum-roll restart. And when nothing worked, a system restore and full software update to the current version (which I tried twice.) I took several hours to try every troubleshooting approach I could find documented.

Restarting the device, resetting the device, restoring the device - none of it makes any difference. It still crashes when I press the Menu button.
  • malcs3
    malcs3 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Legendary Explorer
    I have a problem that my Go Premium continually freezes then restarts over and over. I found that if i turn the My Drive syncing OFF on the device then it sorts out the problem. But it means I cannot connect to the My Drive app on my phone!! And the reply I keep getting is to try a new account....which means I lose all my stored places etc. 3 of my friends have exactly the same issue. TomTom need to correct the issue with a software update, as it is not my account that's faulty but the software. My device works perfectly if the syncing to MyDrive is OFF
  • ChrisC3k
    Apprentice Seeker
    FYI, this question is not answered even though it is marked so in search. Turned the device on again today and it updated maps, still crashes every time I press the menu button.
  • ChrisC3k
    Apprentice Seeker
    As I mention in my original comment:
    I eventually managed to ... reinstall the firmware.