How to start a deceased Tom Tom

BWFairhall
BWFairhall Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
I did 2/3 updates to my Start 52 from MyDrive. It then rebooted, but did not restart at all. I plugged into USB charge but cannot get it to turn on at all. This happened to my previous TomTom so I PURCHASED this new one 2.5 years ago. Now I wonder if I should buy some other brand device if this one can't be used. Help, please!

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,949
    Superuser
    edited January 6 Answer ✓
    Hi @BWFairhall

Further to @Willy875 's post when you have charged the unit up then Press and Hold In the ON/OFF button IN until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go. IE do not let the button go when you see the Tomtom image which should appear first.

Doug
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BWFairhall

If after you have used an Apple or similar Mobile phone mains charger plug that will accept the USB cable and the battery is failing to retain a charge then I suspect the battery has gone. Look on Youtube for videos on replacing the battery and if you feel confident enough then the batteries and small tools kits are available on Ebay.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,984
     Superuser
    edited January 8 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @BWFairhall
    Don't forget to search Ebay & Amazon for other battery choices....
    How to video.... Tomtom Start 52

Stay Safe... ATB YFM

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,946
    Revered Voyager
    To try

Charge your GPS on a mains charger for 2 hours.

Hold the power button until the GPS restarts.

• DougLap
    Superuser
    edited January 6 Answer ✓
    Hi @BWFairhall

Further to @Willy875 's post when you have charged the unit up then Press and Hold In the ON/OFF button IN until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go. IE do not let the button go when you see the Tomtom image which should appear first.

Doug
  • BWFairhall
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you Doug and Willy.
    I put on mains USB charge and it stayed for around 5 hours.
    Good luck today: It started automatically as soon as plugged into my computer but the battery was not charged (red warning!). I got it to finish the update via MyDrive, and plugged it back into mains USB charge before it switched off.
    It would appear there's either a charging problem or a battery problem. Thoughts appreciated, please.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @BWFairhall

If after you have used an Apple or similar Mobile phone mains charger plug that will accept the USB cable and the battery is failing to retain a charge then I suspect the battery has gone. Look on Youtube for videos on replacing the battery and if you feel confident enough then the batteries and small tools kits are available on Ebay.

Doug
  • BWFairhall
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks, Doug, that's a bit sad! I've now plugged it into my USB3 port that I use on my computer for updating, and when it started I opted to TURN OFF. I'll leave it there for a few hours to see if that charge method has any more success.
    So you don't think carrying out a RESET will shock it into life? Just a thought ...
    If no success after this charge I'll explore eBay as you suggest. UGH!
    Please advise: How do I find the spec for the battery, and how to actually remove the back off the TomTom (START 52) - there seems to be no obvious screws to undo?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,946
    Revered Voyager
    Hi

It could also be that it is about a bad contact between the plug of the cable and the plug on the GPS side?
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,984
     Superuser
    edited January 8 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @BWFairhall
    Don't forget to search Ebay & Amazon for other battery choices....
    How to video.... Tomtom Start 52

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • BWFairhall
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you Doug and others for your help. It was great to be able to get advice here as the official TomTom site Support seems totally ineffective.
    However, plugging it into my USB3 port on the computer charged it to almost full which is fantastic! Obviously the Samsung phone USB charger unit didn't work, so that's something to remember.
    I took your advice YamFazMan and Doug, searching eBay. There I found a US company that not only has a video but sells the battery and tools. Loks like I don't need it this time but I certainly saved their URL in case the battery really dies!
    Your advice is VERY MUCH appreciated - I was ready to trash the TomTom!!
    Stay safe in these dangerous times.
    Bye.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @BWFairhall

Glad you are sorted.

Doug