Ifttt...not happy

IMAPOI
IMAPOI Registered Users Posts: 39
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in TomTom Services
Absolutely ropable with tomtom
Advertising ifttt...which was the selling point for me...the reason for the upgrade
Now it has decided to NO LONGER support

Do not buy the surpreme...
Who knows what other services will be dropped..

Should have kept my old TomTom

Comments

• Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,115
    Superuser
    @IMAPOI

See https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/4407796173458-IFTTT-support-is-discontinued
    .... If you have purchased a GO Premium or a GO Supreme less than two years ago, we would like to offer you a subscription to our new GO Navigation app to thank you for your loyalty. To claim this offer, or for any other questions regarding this you might have, please Contact us
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
    Supreme Pioneer
    @IMAPOI Oh, that is so irritating; having had multiple issues with my Go Camper and Go Discover that TomTom has been unable to resolve, I decided to resurrect my Go Premium X which had been transformed into a pet brick courtesy of a software update back in September and thought amongst other uses for IFTTT, to transfer POI (latitude/longitude) locations to the device.

I finally managed to get the Go Premium going again a week or so ago and was testing it out and Yes the IFTTT menu has been removed!!! I thought I was going to have to do yet another Factory reset / put it into Recovery mode to restore the IFTTT Menu option but your post confirmed I would be wasting more time.

I will have to think of another way to get a single POI (latitude/longitude) location sent to the Go Premium. I need to use latitude/longitude or a MapCode as a post code is not accurate enough to locate an address in a rural location, otherwise I could have set up a contact for each location on my iPhone – I have tried setting up a contact with just a lat/longitude or Mapcode, but my iPhone insists on inserting a Country which first has to be deleted, then it works – I have not been able to work out if it’s possible to remove the Country from my contacts, but suspect this is another irritation imposed, by Apple this time!!!

I thought IFTTT would have been a simple solution, but typical of TomTom to withdraw support just when I wanted to use it!!

Can understand how angry you must be if you use it daily!
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,835
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul wrote: »
    (Snip) I will have to think of another way to get a single POI (latitude/longitude) location sent to the Go Premium. I need to use latitude/longitude or a MapCode as a post code is not accurate enough to locate an address in a rural location, otherwise I could have set up a contact for each location on my iPhone – I have tried setting up a contact with just a lat/longitude or Mapcode, but my iPhone insists on inserting a Country which first has to be deleted, then it works – I have not been able to work out if it’s possible to remove the Country from my contacts, but suspect this is another irritation imposed, by Apple this time!!!
    I thought IFTTT would have been a simple solution (Snip)
    Maybe useful....
    This is the method I use....
    MyDrive Web Route planner....
    Here... https://mydrive.tomtom.com/
    Method....
    Transfer the individual Google Map locations manually to the
    Tomtom MDW Route planner
    With Google Maps and the MyDrive Web Route planner both running on 50/50 split screen....
    (1)... Type the location into the Google Maps Search Box and Right-click on the offered location marker
    A small window opens... Click on the displayed Coordinates... the Coordinates are now copied to the PC Clipboard
    Or
    (2)... Right-click on the Map at the required location
    (3)... A small window opens... Click on the displayed Coordinates... the Coordinates are now copied to the PC Clipboard
    (4)... On the MyDrive Web Route planner... Click on the search box....
    (5)... Using Ctrl+v Paste the Coordinates into the MDW Route planner Search box (Now Press Enter on your Keyboard) the MDW Route planner will Zoom to the location....
    Right-Click on the Icon to....
    Send Destination
    Add to MyPlaces
    Use as Starting point
    Plan Route
    If you have a Route already planned....
    Right-Click on the Icon to add a Stop

Note… The above also works with the iPhone Google Maps App and the Tomtom MyDrive App…..
    When you paste the Google Maps coordinates into the MyDrive App you will need to delete the (Open and Closed) brackets from each side of coordinate….

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • IMAPOI
    Master Explorer
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_au/navigation/car-gps/go-supreme/#5inch

May need a new image on your website
    Is that ifttt still there...
    Where is Wally
  • Lost_Soul
    Lost_Soul Registered Users Posts: 412
    Supreme Pioneer
    @YamFazMan

That was the way I used when I first started using a Tomtom some 5 1/2 years ago ................... but it would not work for my "rural locations" as MDW would snap the lat/long coordinates to the "nearest road" which could also be up to 1/4 mile or more away. :s

Not easy to find a small unlit track in the dead of night............. :s So I resorted to setting up these locations on the device map ( after an iterative process using Google Street view etc) and saving it to My Favourites which created another issue of having a sea of large Blue stars on the map.

I have tried converting all my favourites to POI's, but that was not ideal as my modus operandi was to use MDW to send the destination to the device and you cannot send a single POI to a device. And then this year having migrated to the supposedly superior Go Discover I had to revert back to using Favourites due to lack of support for my POI's!

It is irritating as the mapcode system was developed in 2001 by TomTom's Pieter Geelen and Harold Goddijn, Tomtom has not made more effort to incorporate their use with our Devices or made more efforts to improve the ease of handling and use of Favourite and POI's.

I thought IFTTT could be an elegant solution, but as this is no longer available on the Go Premium, I will not be able to try. :/
  • IMAPOI
    Master Explorer
    https://www.tomtom.com/en_AU/ifttt/

Still being advertised
  • IMAPOI
    Master Explorer
    I wonder what the Australian competition and consumer authority will think of this
    🤔
    And maybe dept of fair trading