Too old to be useful?

Tiptree
Tiptree Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
Hi I've been given an old GO 4CS01. I can't see it on the list of obsolete models but it is ten years old. Is it useless?

It wasn't my Christmas present by the way 😂

Answers

• Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,068
     Superuser
    How big is the iternal Memory 2 or 4GB ?
    I think you have a Go 1000 or a go 1000 live.
    If it has 4GB iternal Memory As far as I know, there is still support for Maps
  • Niall
    Niall Posts: 11,130
    Superuser
    @Tiptree

It actually depends on the serial number see this video to check

"TA">GO LIVE 1000, 4GB, MDC NAV3
    "TB">GO LIVE 1000, 2GB, MDC NAV3 EoL
    "TC">GO 1000, 4GB, MDC NAV3
    "TD">GO 1000, 2GB, MDC NAV3 EoL

If it is Eol see https://www.tomtom.com/en_gb/obsolete-products/#car
  • Tiptree
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks for your replies @Niall and @Lochfrass
    The serial number starts TA
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,013
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    HI
    @Tiptree
    Welcome to the site….
    Re your Tomtom device "TA">GO LIVE 1000, 4GB, MDC NAV3

How to install maps and updates with MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013960039-How-to-install-maps-and-updates-with-MyDrive-Connect

NAV3 Devices with 4GB On-board Memory... Catch22
    Tomtom devices need at least one Map installed before they will Boot-up...
    The Maps on the NAV3 devices easily fitted onto the 4GB of on-board Memory, but the Map sizes increases with every update... Now the 4GB limit on-board memory size on the NAV3 devices is an unfortunate, but real Catch22 situation....
    The NAV3 Full Europe Map size is now 4.621 GB....

Note... If you already have the Map installed on a Micro SDHC memory card the NAV3 device will update the Map as normal....

When you update using MyDrive Connect, you should be offered a Map Zone.....
    If you mainly travel in the UK and do not need the Full Europe Map... The Europe Zone 1 has the UK&ROI Maps....

If you require the Full Europe Map you will need to install a 8GB or 16GB Class 10 Micro SDHC memory card (32GB is the max size, but it's way over the top for 4GB Maps)

Method... Install a Map Zone.... Zone 9 is the smallest Map Zone....
    I used Zone 1 as it also has the UK&ROI Map...

(1)... With MyDrive Connect running click MY CONTENT menu...
    (2)... In MY MAPS... Click on the required Flag Icon (Europe)...

9wya7oj3tsrn.jpg
    1gmmg7ftpv93.jpg
    Note... You can ONLY use the above menu option....
    'Use a memory card in your device'
    If you have already installed a memory card formatted with the Tomtom propriety format....

b94ya0yjxd8i.jpg
    Follow the on-screen menu prompts to select and install the required MAP Zone....

With the Map Zone installed... The device will Boot-up and allow you to Format the Micro SDHC memory card to the Tomtom propriety format, this will allow the installation of Maps
    (3)... Format the Micro SDHC memory card to FAT32 on your PC
    (4)... Insert the Micro SDHC memory card into your NAV3 Device, the device should recognize the card and offer to format the card to the Tomtom propriety format....
    Accept the offer and format the memory card...

(5)... MyDrive Connect screen should now refresh and allow you to install the Full Europe Map onto the Memory Card....
    zan73scl2t8a.jpg
    You May need to switch to the Full Europe Map ???
    From the main menu
    Tap (Settings)
    Right Cursor twice for next page
    Tap (Switch Map)
    Tap (Select the Europe Map)
    Follow onscreen prompts to exit

I suggest you do not uninstall the smaller map as it will also act as a 'Keeper'
    This will enable the device to keep running on the smaller Map and avoid the Catch22 situation No Maps Found Error, where the device won't boot-up past the No Maps Found Error to allow access to the 'Format option' to allow the use of a Micro SDHC memory card
    Also, if you ever need to remove the Micro SDHC Card for any reason... Like transferring pre-planned routes via a Micro SDHC Card or Formatting a new/replacement Micro SDHC Card, the Keeper Map will allow the device to keep running....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Lochfrass
    Lochfrass Posts: 18,068
     Superuser
    just so it was mentioned.
    If it has not been used for longer than 18 months, the internal sim may have been deactivated and can no longer be reactivated.
    In this case, you have to do without the live services.
    I am also not sure in how far the device was considered with the WNRO update.
    Possibly it does not find a position or shows the time always 0:00
  • Tiptree
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    Thank you so much @YamFazMan and @Lochfrass

I can see that I have a Europe Map v9.10 of 3040MB and a UK and RI Map v8.60 of 282MB.

I removed excess voices and ran the regular updates but didn't do the voice update yet as there's only 82MB free.

How can I tell if there is already a memory card installed and what the total capacity is?
  • Tiptree
    Apprentice Seeker
    PS I don't think there is a memory card in there, the capacity seems to be 4GB

I removed the Europe map and did the voice update, but I now realise I will have to pay £40 to update the UK map. Is it worth it? This is a really old device.
    Lochfrass wrote: »
    If it has not been used for longer than 18 months, the internal sim may have been deactivated and can no longer be reactivated.
    In this case, you have to do without the live services.
    I am also not sure in how far the device was considered with the WNRO update.
    Possibly it does not find a position or shows the time always 0:00

The sim is inactive, but it does find a position and get the right time
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,013
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @Tiptree

The Micro SDHC Card slot (If available) is located here on NAV3 devices....
    de1f0m8zgu1x.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Tiptree
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thanks @YamFazMan I had a good nosy around and it seems it has no slot