Discover maps update

Waszko1980
Waszko1980 Registered Users Posts: 42
Renowned Trailblazer
We know what it is like in the previous models. The map is updated every 3 months (February, May, August, November). How exactly is our new Discover? Will there be a larger map file for download, or are they just partial updates like now (Tuesday and Thursday, I think)? If so, how many times during these 3 months?

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,057
    Superuser
    Hi @Waszko1980

There are small weekly updates then occasionally a complete map replacement.

Doug
  • lyndon1230
    lyndon1230 Registered Users Posts: 15
    Master Explorer
    They’re years out of date compared to older tomtom devices anyway so I wouldn’t worry
  • big
    big Posts: 1,719
    Superuser
    lyndon1230 wrote: »
    They’re years out of date compared to older tomtom devices anyway so I wouldn’t worry
    I would't call them out of date, I'd call them inconsistent. Sometimes very new roads or POIs correctly appear and other times I just stare at it trying to figure out how a petrol station could be shown in the middle of a lake.

• TTDisc
    TTDisc Registered Users Posts: 12
    Master Explorer
    I have a problem with updating the Europe map. Every time I get the message that a must remover not used maps. At the start of downloading the update the internel memory is 3,84 GB. After the update proces is stopped with 'remove unused maps' the internel memory is 724 Mb. TT help can't help me till now. Anyone here.
  • big
    Superuser
    @TTDisc On the Discover map updates download until the device is nearly full. Then you get that false message asking you to delete unused maps, which you may ignore. When this occurs, during the next 10 or 15 minutes the maps you have downloaded update the ones on the device and the old maps are deleted to make free space. Then any remaining updates are downloaded. All this, including that stupid message, happens automatically, you shouldn't have to intervene.

Do be aware if you have a lot of maps on your device the full update can take hours. Many hours. Allocate overnight.
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Did what you suggested but there is no different. The unit is now 4 hours on and still nothing is changed. Still 20,9 GB to update en 412 internal memory.
    I can tell you already that restarting the unit and wait until the black screen with white letters is vissable does not work. That screen will not appear. On the GO6000 is does but not on the discover.
    Ask TT helpdesk voor supervisor who knows anything about de Go Discover. It looks that I am the only with this problem for on the internet you can find nothing about this problem.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @TTDisc

Getting to the White writing is done as follows on the GO Discover units

With the unit turned Off now Press and hold in the Start button until Tomtom appears on the screen, When it appears release then immediately repress and hold the button until the white writing appears. .

The GO Discover has 32g of internal memory and no facility to add more. If I read your post correctly it appears you are saying there is only 412mb of free memory on the unit. If this is the case you must have a very large number of maps on it which would normally not be required all at the same time. Th GO Discover is designed to hold the maps you need so for example if you live in the UK and only usually go to the north of France then those are the only maps you really need. On the odd occasion that you may go elsewhere then download the maps needed to get there. If you are unlikely to need a map for a long time then just delete it and should you need again sometime then add when required with th test updated map..

Regrading updates exceeding the available space if you connect it and Tap update the XXGB then leave it as it should if left untouched update until it is nearly full when it will delete the replaced bits to provide space for the next tranch.. This can become a long process so just leave it connected and it should sort itself out

Doug
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,169
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @TTDisc
    Welcome to the site....
    How Fast/Slow... Good/Bad... Reliable/Unreliable is your Wi-Fi Connection is your Wi-Fi Connecting to a 5GHz network ???
    On the GO Discover... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> Wi-Fi... Tap on your Wi-Fi Name.....

My GO Discover Wi-Fi Status screen....
    ifqbsyjwhf23.jpg

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,169
     Superuser
    edited December 2021
    Hi
    @TTDisc
    GO Discover & Go Expert only...
    Deleting all Maps using the Reset Maps Option
    I have always had the full Western Europe Map installed on My GO Discover, but I got fed-up of manually installing the individual countries Maps using Wi-Fi....
    So I decided to 'Reset' (Remove) the Maps and only installed the UK Map....

Reset the map and install the UK Map....
    Method...
    (1)... Tap on the 3 line 'Hamburger Icon' --> Setting --> System --> Reset map....
    (2)... Read the on-screen 'Warning' and follow the on-screen 'Instructions'
    (3)... When the Map has been 'Reset'
    (4)... The device reports --> The map is reset, Your device must be restarted --> Tap 'OK' --> The device restarts....
    (5)... The device reports... 'You need to add at least one Map area to start' + 'Add map area' --> Tap 'Add map area' button
    (6)... Tap 'Add' Button (Screen bottom right)
    (7)... Scroll to 'Europe' and select Europe
    (8)... Scroll to UK and select UK
    (9)... Tap 'Download (1)' (Number obviously varies with the number of Maps selected)
    (10)... The Device downloads the UK Map
    (11)… The device reports Adding changes to Map
    (12)… The device opens the normal startup screen... Latest UK Map installed OK...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    DougLap. I got the black screen with white letters and renewed the software. On the official support site you get this advice: https://help.tomtom.com/hc/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross. That is why it did not work.
    Updating de Europe map (44 countries) still does not work. After 12 hours waiting still the same respons and no updating.
    Then I update my old GO6000 with also the Europe map on it and after 5 hours everything was ok.
    I think that I now what the problem is. By 6000 the maps are first loaded on the computer (cache) and than to the divice. Sytem memory before update on the 6000 6511MB and on the SD 6511 MB (SD=16GB). After that I can drive from Liverpool to Vladiwostok in Siberia.
    However the Discover updates via Wifi. I think is uses the internal memory as a cache. That means that you always have to have memory left on the divice as big as the update will be. In my case 19 GB. Say 30 GB is left as memory (rest is nav software). Half of 30 is 15 GB as a maximum for maps. About 15 countries max.
    Ofcourse a deleted many countries and only have 11 installed now. Not ideal but it is what it is.
    What I did in September was delete Europe and reinstall it, after that there still more than 6 GB memory left.
    Thanks DougLap and Yam.
    (I live in the Netherland so more coutries are neaded)
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    DougLap. In my first article. I wrote I had 412 Mb memory left. But that was after I started updating. Before starting the memory left was 3,84 GB.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @ttdisc.

Just recently I had 10.6gb of updates and the device advised it had only 10.1gb of free internal memory. I Tapped the Update All (10.6gb) option and left it on a power source and it completed the updates and advised that the remaining free memory was now 10.1gb. The process took a loonngg time as the device software downloads some of the maps updates and when necessary complete the maps done s far then remove the replaced maps to release memory again then does the next tranche of Update etc etc.

You will see the Update Button changed from Greyed out to Normal as this goes along and you do not need to keep pressing the button when it is not greyed out.

If you go to the About screen and watch the Free memory figure it goes down and up as the updating is happening and the downloading and deleting of data occurs.

Doug
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Doug.
    That is nearly the same experence I had. If you have about the memory left as the update is big, in your case 10,1 memory and 10,6 update, than it might work. In my case I had 3.84 gb memory left and the update was 19.1 gb. It seems that that is not enough for I left it on during the night and morning (12 hours) and no more maps were updated.
    I'm happy with the performance while driving but very disapointed by the updating.
    Hopfully the TT-support, with whom I still have an open problemmail, will give a better solution. If so, I let you know.
    TTDisc.
  • big
    Superuser
    TTDisc wrote: »
    In my case I had 3.84 gb memory left and the update was 19.1 gb. It seems that that is not enough for I left it on during the night and morning (12 hours) and no more maps were updated,
    That's a lot of maps. Planning on taking a drive around the world? ;)
    But seriously, sounds like there is some map corruption. In your case, deleting the maps and adding them again would probably be a lot quicker and have better results than trying to update them (especially since that doesn't work!).
    Hope you hear something from support meanwhile but I imagine it is difficult to troubleshoot remotely if it's really some data corruption.
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Hallo Big.

Yes it is a lot of maps. But the problem I discripe is, that I can update the whole map of Europe on my GO6000 without deleting a country. On my Discover is that not possible.
    I do it now as you wrote. Delete maps. Then update. Then install maps again.
    Ofcourse I don't need all the maps on daily bases but from September on I ask TomTom for a solution. I had a lot of mailcontact allready but solution.

TTDisc.
    If you are never from home, You will never come home.
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Hello Faz and Big.

The problem is still not solved. They could not tell me why you can update 'Europe' on the GO6000 without deleting maps and not on de the Discover. In the end they asked me to send the unit in for repair. They think it might be something with the sim-unit.
    I went back to shop and they help me very well. Beter then TT-support.
    If the unit is back I will write the result.

TTDisc.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @TTDisc

Are you sure you connected to Tomtom Support. Firstly if you contacted them via phone then definitely not TT has they are not running Phone Support only Chat and Messaging.

Regarding the updating of a GO6000 if it is a whole map then the first thing that happens is the current map is deleted to make space for the new map. So the map is deleted and should there be an issue such as loss of connection with the old map deleted and the new one not yet loaded if it was the only map on the unit it would not be able to start up. Hence the No Maps Found situation.

Regarding the GO Discover Units it does make things easier if you don’t have loads of maps that you are unlikely to use for some time. If the quantity of updates is more than the Free Memory space on the unit then if you seek to do All Updates the unit has to download some of the updates then delete the old data it has replaced to provide space for the next tranche. The best thing to do is to Tap the Update All button then leave the unit alone to do its thing and not Tap the button if it stops being Greyed Out.

Doug
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Hallo Doug.

Yes I am sure I am connected with TT Support for I started with the Chat and Messasing. I know you can't reached them by phone. To be sure it is TT, a returned the unit to the shop where I bought it and they will send to TT. I think it a save way to do.

The problem was that they ask me several times to do the same thing and I wrote them everytime, that it does not work. Thanks to Faz I could refres the unit software.
    It was not possible to answer my simple question: Why can I not update my whole Europe map on my Discover, while it is possible on the GO6000.

I know of the problem on the GO6000 when the updating is stoped. Therefore I have the Benelux map on the unit-memory and the Europe map on the SD (16GB). So there is always a map on the unit. I first update Benelux (half een hour) and then Europe. Works good. If updating Europe stops during the proces, then you can restart again without problems.

I will write here again when the unit is back.

Thans for your help and comments.

TTDisc.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @TTDisc

There are something like 44 maps available under the heading Europe. How many have you got on your unit?

Doug
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    Doug.

Sorry I did not answer you direct. But I am not looking every day or week. I have 44 maps on my unit.

But I got my unit back from TT. They found out that the program was 'corrupt'. So they installed it again. Then there were 39 maps. When I updated them, it was ready in 2 hours without getting the message again (remove maps). So that is working now.
    Now I got I new problem. The Bluetooth is not working. I can not connect my phone. The icon is grey.
    I contact the helpdesk again and will see what they tell.
    I must say that the unit came back quick, because it was during Christmas and New Year.

TTDisc
  • TTDisc
    Master Explorer
    A update. TT has let me know, that I can get a new divice. So I went to shop, where a bought it and they will handle it.
    Hopefully this will be the end of this discussion.

Thank you all for your help and advice.

TTDisc