My GO 520 takes anything upto an hour to locate satellites and provide directions.

TherealOmen
TherealOmen Registered Users Posts: 4
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
It worked fine the last time I used it, end of Aug this yr. At end of November knowing I would need it first week of Dec. I checked for updates and now have application version 21.200.0003.411 (0). There was a map update as well, now map v1080.11154 is installed. I have 12.29 GB of free memory. Since these updates this problem has appeared. I have tried a hard reset, and a soft reset, the problem persists. Once it finds satellites it works ok until put into sleep mode/switched off. Next time it is turned on again the delay starts over.
Anyone any ideas.

Best Answer

• dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Is the battery fully charged in the device?

Answers

• VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 13,726
    edited December 2021
    Hi @TherealOmen
    When you take the TomTom out for use, does it have a clear view of the sky. In a wooded area, near tall buildings or water, it can take longer than normal for a TomTom device to receive a GPS signal.

Regards, Vikram
  • TherealOmen
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    Thank you Vikram, the quick answer to your question is yes. It is positioned as far forward to the bottom of the windscreen as it can be. This problem only occurred since the last update. Prior to this it has always located satellites and started guidance within a minute or two. During the period upto an hour it now takes, I will be driving so the device has a different, constantly changing view of the sky. I have tried to keep a note of how long it takes to pick up on different journeys. The quickest was about 15mins. Last evening for example I drove into the local town about 10mins travelling. It did not pick up at all. After parking, returning to the car and drove home again, it still had not picked up.
  • dhn
    dhn Posts: 33,382
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Is the battery fully charged in the device?
  • TherealOmen
    Apprentice Seeker
    edited December 2021
    dhn, thanks for the reply.
    when it is in use in the car it is on power. When it is not in use i turn it off, rather than leave it “asleep”. I find the battery holds the charge for much longer that way. Plus since this problem appeared I have been using it almost every day trying different things, as mentioned originally, hard and soft resets, also turning it on at the same place that I turned it off at. To see how long it takes to pick up. I have been using random locations, like last nights trip into town. I have also just turned it on to track where I am driving, without programming a specific destination.
    The fastest pick up was after doing the soft reset, which was almost immediate as I stepped out of the front door. I will be trying that again, probably this afternoon. If it picks up straight away again, I will try again later after turning it off. If that indicates a soft reset is necessary every time I use it, tells me there is a fault somewhere.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,828
    Superuser
    Hi @TherealOmen

Are you using the supplied Cig Unit or connecting to a USB socket in the car. If the latter the power output of the socket is not sufficient to run the unit and maintain/charge up the unit so is not recommended.

Doug
  • TherealOmen
    Apprentice Seeker
    Doug,
    Yes, it is plugged in the lighter socket.
    Thanks for the suggestion tho, all suggestions gratefully received.