Firmware 21.200.0003.311 - after update problems with SDcard - Device doesn't startany more

BlueNons23
BlueNons23 Registered Users Posts: 4
New Seeker
Hell
the device Go520 does not start anymore after this update to NAV4 if SD card is still in device. If I remove the SD card then the device starts normally.
After formatting the SD card the device starts again with the message that the SD card is new and will be formatted. If I confirm this message then the formatting process starts. After new installation of the maps for Europe (buildings for Germany, Austria and Switzerland) to the SD card and and successfull message the device starts automacally again. However, the device interrupts the start process around 50%.
Currently I am not able to load the complete map of Europe (with buildings) and USA if the SD card does not work.
Which advice can you provide to solve this issue? is there a problem with the format of maps on the SD card?
There was not problem with this with the old firmware. Am I able to reinstall the old software again?

Best wishes,
Claus

Answers

• Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,944
    Revered Voyager
    Your Sd card has a problem buy a new Sd of 16 or 32 GB maximum is tried again.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,949
    Superuser
    Hi @BlueNons23

When you formatted your card did you do a Full Format or a Quick format. If the latter then redo with a Full Format to Fat 32.

Doug
  • BlueNons23
    New Seeker
    H @DougLagp
    the card full formated with FAT32.

at the monent i finished the installation of the "Map of Africa" (only1,5GB) to the 16GB sdcard.

After that the device was restartet and it start normally.
    In the device i can switch between the map of Europe or the map of africa without Problems.
    Is there a possibility that the new software has problems with map including buildings, for example "Map of europe with buildings in Germany,Austria and Switzerland".

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,949
    Superuser
    Hi @BlueNons23

There should not be an issue however buildings will only be displayed in Cities not Towns and villages.

Doug
  • BlueNons23
    New Seeker
    The problem is that the device does not boot anymore and stops after 50% if the SD card contains maps of Europe with buildings.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Without the SD card inserting Does your device work?
  • BlueNons23
    New Seeker
    Yes, at the Devichas an internal Memory from ~ 8GByte. Enough memory for smal Maps
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    The Tomtom GO 520 wi-fi, has 16 GB of internal memory so it is possible to install a full Europe map.
  • garu
    garu Registered Users Posts: 14
    Master Explorer
    edited December 2021
    I have the same issue but on GO 6200 (wifi), after firmware update. Boot hangs almost at the end. When SD card is removed, systems boots with no issues - obviously maps are loaded from the internal memory (didn't expect). I checked external card (32GB) and there were 14 files of 2.097GB and one 1.576GB which means that SD card is full, which shouldn't be the case as I only use map of Europe. This is a possible root cause for the boot issue. I assume these files are some installation files (TOMTOM.000-014, I can open them with winrar app) but how they got there I have no clue (i thought that the map should be located on SD card).
    Please advise how to resolve this issue and provide some explanation for this behavior. Workaround exists (no external SD card) but than why there is slot for SD card, what will happen next time when I do an upgrade (internal memory full, system hangs forever?),...
    I hope someone is going to investigate this
    Thanks,
    garu
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Your go has 16gb internal memory your gb can work fine without sd card.
  • garu
    Master Explorer
    True - i figured it out myself, when device totally hanged. it is obvious that SD card has some purpose, except to cause issues when it is full, which is my main concern as the same scenario can happen using only internal memory. In that case there will be nothing to remove from the device in order to fix the issue.
    So, yes, we need better explanation and proper solution.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    If it is a Europe map which is installed on the internal memory installed in addition to the smaller map on the internal memory

if the Europe map crashes your GPS is not blocked you can remove Europe and reinstall.

It may be that your Sd card has a problem install a small card on the internal memory then format your Sd and reinstall your card.
  • hdwlc
    hdwlc Registered Users Posts: 6
    Apprentice Traveler
    There is something wrong with update 21.200.0003.311. My GO500 can no longer connect to the pc after the update. I've asked here, hope it get's solved.
  • garu
    Master Explorer
    Willy875 wrote: »
    If it is a Europe map which is installed on the internal memory installed in addition to the smaller map on the internal memory

if the Europe map crashes your GPS is not blocked you can remove Europe and reinstall.

It may be that your Sd card has a problem install a small card on the internal memory then format your Sd and reinstall your card.

OK, thanks for the hint - I'll do that, although it is still unclear what are these files on the external card and why sd card was full.
    Also, I simply cannot believe that sd cart can have anything with the installation (unless you are saying that sd card firmware contains instructions for the map installation).
    BR,