Problem updating Europe map on GO 5000

matlyn
matlyn Registered Users Posts: 9
Apprentice Traveler
I am trying to update the Europe map on my GO 5000. The map downloads to my computer with no problems, and I have my device connected to the computer via USB. But when it tries to update the device, it finds the device ok but then just sits on the 'Updating device' screen for hours on end if I leave it, with nothing visibly happening (see image below). The device meanwhile sits on the 'Connected to computer' screen, again with nothing visibly happening. Any clues as to what might be wrong?

9jkqafkwwi8n.png
Tagged:

Best Answers

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 10,054
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

Look back here later or tomorrow to see if @VikramK has added a small map like Venezuela to your account which you can load onto the device. Once you have done that then the Europe update is likely to then load on the extra memory card. If it still does not then if you have the latest software on the PC Click on the option on the bottom of the map and it will offer you the chance o load it on the SD card. If that does not work then with the little map on the unit you will be able to delete the Europe Map and then load the latest version.

Having the little map on the unit is a benefit as if you do your updates 1 at a time if you have an issue updating the Europe map and lose it the little map enables the device to run normally and so you can reload the lost map. Without the small map you will finish up in the No Maps Found Catch 22 situation.

Doug
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,064
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

You already have the World maps subscription on your device. Connect the device, open MyDrive Connect> My Content> My Maps> You'll see here the list of the maps available for you to download. Find the smallest one, install it on the device as Doug mentioned above and follow through. Hope it helps!

Best, lampard
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

Hope you now get sorted. For future reference we would not associate a GO5000 as having World Maps if that is the actual TT model you have. If it is a more recent model then I would suggest you change your profile to reflect it. Had we realised you had the World Maps on the unit we could have advised differently and should therefore have got a quicker resolution for you.

All the best.

Doug

Answers

• DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @matlyn

Have you got an extra memory Card fitted in the unit. If not then the new map is probably too big to fit on the internal memory alongside the Op software and any other data you have loaded.

Doug
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @DougLap
    Thanks for this. No I don't have any memory card. This had crossed my mind, but I assumed that if there was not enough room the installation software would be clever enough to say so. If not then I need to have a look at what I need to get. I haven't checked the manual yet, but there is a slot on the bottom of the device that looks like it should hold a memory card.
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @DougLap
    Many thanks for this. I will get a card and get a card and see how I get on.

Matthew
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    edited November 2021
    Hi @DougLap
    OK, I have got a 32gb card, put it into my device and formatted it for maps. When I go into MyDrive Connect it recognises that the SD card is there. But when I try to do the update it still puts a message saying that the map is too big and can only be installed without Russia (which is fine), and also saying that the available memory can be increased by adding an SD card. When I agree to load the reduced map it still does exactly as before - ie sits on the Updating device screen with nothing visibly happening.
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,611
    Elite Voyager
    Hi
    Unplug and reconnect the USB cable several times in a row sometimes it starts the download again.
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @Willy875 Thanks, but I have restarted repeatedly, by removing the USB cable, by switching the device off, or by closing MyDrive Connect, but it always comes back to the Updating screen with nothing happening.
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @DougLap
    I'm afraid I still haven't got any further. Is there any way of explicitly telling MyDrive Connect to download the new map to the memory card - I suspect that it is trying to update it where it currently, in the device memory. I did raise the problem with TomTom support nearly a week ago, but I have had no real response yet...
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

Look back here later or tomorrow to see if @VikramK has added a small map like Venezuela to your account which you can load onto the device. Once you have done that then the Europe update is likely to then load on the extra memory card. If it still does not then if you have the latest software on the PC Click on the option on the bottom of the map and it will offer you the chance o load it on the SD card. If that does not work then with the little map on the unit you will be able to delete the Europe Map and then load the latest version.

Having the little map on the unit is a benefit as if you do your updates 1 at a time if you have an issue updating the Europe map and lose it the little map enables the device to run normally and so you can reload the lost map. Without the small map you will finish up in the No Maps Found Catch 22 situation.

Doug
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @DougLap
    Many thanks - that sounds like a plan! As a matter of interest, can I ask how this forum is connected to the TomTom support you get by raising queries with them? Usually these forums are quite separate from the company in question, but if you can add maps to my account then clearly you are part of the official support team.

Incidentally, I did wonder earlier whether deleting the existing Europe map would help, but luckily it wouldn't let me do it!
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @matlyn

This forum whilst run by TT it is a User Based forum where we users can try to help one another. However there are some Mods who keep an eye out and they have the facility to look onto the TT servers etc and can add maps or sort out issue with Traffic etc. I am a user like you.

Regarding the deletion of the map it will not let you do that if you only have one map on the device as it needs a Map as part of its boot up process. Once you load more than 1 map then the delete option becomes available.

Doug
  • lampard
    lampard Administrators Posts: 6,064
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

You already have the World maps subscription on your device. Connect the device, open MyDrive Connect> My Content> My Maps> You'll see here the list of the maps available for you to download. Find the smallest one, install it on the device as Doug mentioned above and follow through. Hope it helps!

Best, lampard
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @matlyn

Hope you now get sorted. For future reference we would not associate a GO5000 as having World Maps if that is the actual TT model you have. If it is a more recent model then I would suggest you change your profile to reflect it. Had we realised you had the World Maps on the unit we could have advised differently and should therefore have got a quicker resolution for you.

All the best.

Doug
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    Hi @DougLap and @lampard

Many thanks for your help. I have installed the Iraq map on the device, uninstalled the Europe map and am now installing it on the card, which will take another hour or so but at least the update is running! Many apologies, Doug, for giving the wrong model number - I had in mind that it was a 5000 but it is actually 5100. I have given support in the past, and I do know how irritating it is when people give inaccurate or insufficient information! Thanks again, and I hope I won't need to contact you any further.
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @matlyn

Your welcome. Glad you are sorted.

Doug
  • Pplons
    Pplons Registered Users Posts: 4
    Master Traveler
    lampard wrote: »
    Hi @matlyn

Best, lampard

I have the same problem as Matlyn has. The map is not updating on my GO 5000 with SD card. GO 5000 gives no signal that it is updating.

naxgg4kfetlk.jpg
  • Pplons
    Master Traveler
    @Duncan22 How to solve this problem. GPS is connected to computer but doesn't update the map.
  • Pplons
    Master Traveler
    @VikramK

My TomTom GO5000 is connected to my laptop. Map update is downloaded on my Laptop. MyDrive Connect is waiting a reaction of the GO5000. So, the map is not updating om the GPS. How to solve this. MyDrive Connect says that it's possible to install the map on my GO5000 (enough space on SD card). How to solve this ?
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 6,611
    Elite Voyager
    @Pplons

Is the device well recognized by Mydrive connect green tick?
    Have you tried with another cable?
  • matlyn
    Apprentice Traveler
    My problem was solved six months ago when I reported it, but there seems to have been a sudden rash of people commenting. For info, the problem in my case was lack of space (though why the system couldn't have given an error message to that effect I don't know). The solution was to install a very small map first (because you are in trouble if you have no maps on the device, apparently), then delete my main map that I wanted to replace, then the download I was trying worked perfectly.
  • VikramK
    VikramK Administrators Posts: 14,325
    Hi @matlyn
    Welcome to the community!
    A different version of the map has been activated for your TomTom.

Try steps as below-

1. Remove the memory card and format it on a computer.
    2. Without inserting the memory card, connect the device and check for updates.
    3. Download a small map region/country that will fit easily on the internal memory.
    4. Disconnect the device and do a soft reset.
    5. Insert the memory card and format it when the device prompts.
    6. Connect the device to the computer and check for new map updates in MyDrive Connect.

Regards,
    Vikram.