Map on SD Card shows installed but not activated

MyNameAllreadyExists
MyNameAllreadyExists Registered Users Posts: 133
Exalted Navigator
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Venezuela Map on SD Card shows installed but not activated? This appears to be as a result of previous problem with downloading new Europe map. See at https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1140782/no-map-after-update#latest

Thanks

Best Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,983
     Superuser
    edited November 2021 Answer ✓
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Perhaps you would find it easier to moving the Maps around using the MyDrive menu system instead of the GO Premium Wi-Fi on-board menu system....
    See my workaround... Updating a Tomtom Wi-Fi device over USB (Using the MyDrive Connect Menu Structure)
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure#latest

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • Willy875
    Willy875 Registered Users Posts: 5,941
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    On the GPS you looked at Settings, then Maps choose another map then select Venezuela
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    looking at your MyDrive Connect screen-grabs, you have the both the full Europe Map and the Venezuela maps installed on the on-board memory of the device ....
    I don't think the Venezuela is not activated, it's just NOT the Active Map... The Full Europe Map is the Active map
    If you Want the Europe installed on the Micro SDHC Card, leave the Venezuela Map on the on-board memory (There must be at least one Map installed before the device will boot-up)
    Next, delete the Full Europe Map from the 'On-board' memory and then install the Full Europe Map onto the Micro SDHC Card....

Click the ' v ' Icon to select the installation location....
    yskcxt11h8g1.png
    It appears that MyDrive Connect only monitors the Active Map
    For more Info see... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704859/#Comment_1704859

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    (Snip) When I go to 'Maps' on my device and change the Europe map for the Venezuela map, there is no map showing and 'my places icons' are showing! Thank you for your patience.
    Yes That's Normal, When you start your device, it boots-up at either your Home location (If 'Home' is set) or If you have a satellite lock, your present location....

I'm in the UK... Here’s my Home screen with USA Map selected.... Just like your device the screen is blank bar for showing the UK Home location, Myplaces and POIs....
    q2nn1596adfu.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed OUT to show the USA Map....
    vw95acrskzbe.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed IN to show more detail, of the USA Map...
    fursng3ycclb.jpg

ATB YFM
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Venezuela OK Here....
    2D North-up Planning Map world Map pinch-zoomed OUT to show the Venezuela Map....
    xeemu1p4ma83.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed OUT to show Venezuela
    gbewkdene333.jpg

Try a Search for Caracas....
    zdh9g5uhxtwa.jpg

ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,949
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MyNameAllreadyExists

What happens when you have the Venezuela Map select and you go to Search and type Caracas. When you select somewhere in Caracas and Tap the 3 dots next to Drive and choose Use as Start then Select somewhere else in Caracas then select lets go you should be able to see the route on the screen with all the map details.

Doug
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Glad to see you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @MyNameAllreadyExists

If you are going to Venezuela or any other country you have the map for you can preset My Places and create routes and save them on the device before you go. Routes created on the unit will react to traffic data so may change from the exact route shown when saved. So for example you can se your hotel before you go and then you can quickly pick it when you arrive in the country.

Glad you are sorted.

Doug

Answers

• YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Perhaps you would find it easier to moving the Maps around using the MyDrive menu system instead of the GO Premium Wi-Fi on-board menu system....
    See my workaround... Updating a Tomtom Wi-Fi device over USB (Using the MyDrive Connect Menu Structure)
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1133834/updating-a-tomtom-wi-fi-device-over-usb-using-the-mydrive-connect-menu-structure#latest

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    edited November 2021
    Hi @YamFazMan, Thanks. Before following your instructions My Drive Content showed Europe installed and activated and Venezuela installed but not activated. This is where I was getting the information for my post. After, following your instructions, the Venezuela map is no longer showing as installed. I did update the device on My Drive and it is showing as updated. I think what caused the problem in the first place is that when I updated the new Europe map first, then went back and updated the Venezuela map I did not uncheck a 'traffic or other update' and this may have caused the Venezuela map to be installed on the main memory. I noted on the device both the old and new Venezuela maps were showing as installed. That is when I used My Drive to uninstall Venezuela map. Note the SD Card is showing empty and it was the same when Venezuela was showing installed but not activated. Thanks again.

zf9ipesoikcf.png
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    edited November 2021
    PS: Just went back to My Drive and it is showing Venezuela installed but not activated! On the device I can add Venezuela but when I do there is nothing showing. It goes back to where I was at the start when you first helped me get the Europe map up and working. Thanks.

ms05ts1ttksd.png
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    On the GPS you looked at Settings, then Maps choose another map then select Venezuela
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    That is what I said I did. See my PS. Thanks
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    looking at your MyDrive Connect screen-grabs, you have the both the full Europe Map and the Venezuela maps installed on the on-board memory of the device ....
    I don't think the Venezuela is not activated, it's just NOT the Active Map... The Full Europe Map is the Active map
    If you Want the Europe installed on the Micro SDHC Card, leave the Venezuela Map on the on-board memory (There must be at least one Map installed before the device will boot-up)
    Next, delete the Full Europe Map from the 'On-board' memory and then install the Full Europe Map onto the Micro SDHC Card....

Click the ' v ' Icon to select the installation location....
    yskcxt11h8g1.png
    It appears that MyDrive Connect only monitors the Active Map
    For more Info see... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1704859/#Comment_1704859

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    edited November 2021
    @YamFazMan, thanks. I get the difference between 'active' and 'activated'. I think that I may be misunderstanding what I should see on the device. When I go to 'Maps' on my device and change the Europe map for the Venezuela map there is no map showing and 'my places icons' are showing! Thank you for your patience.
  • Willy875
    Revered Voyager
    Have you tried downloading a smaller map other than Venezuela?
    the best way to avoid blockages in the event of loss of a card is to install a small card on the internal memory is the Europe card on the Sd?
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    Thanks. The Europe Map is on the device. The SD Card looks empty (first image above)
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    This is what I see when I open Venezuela on my device.

h13uesbjsa31.jpg
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    (Snip) When I go to 'Maps' on my device and change the Europe map for the Venezuela map, there is no map showing and 'my places icons' are showing! Thank you for your patience.
    Yes That's Normal, When you start your device, it boots-up at either your Home location (If 'Home' is set) or If you have a satellite lock, your present location....

I'm in the UK... Here’s my Home screen with USA Map selected.... Just like your device the screen is blank bar for showing the UK Home location, Myplaces and POIs....
    q2nn1596adfu.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed OUT to show the USA Map....
    vw95acrskzbe.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed IN to show more detail, of the USA Map...
    fursng3ycclb.jpg

ATB YFM
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    @YamFazMan Thanks. pinching out for me does not find any map. I think I will leave it and hope I do not need the SD card. Cheers.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Venezuela OK Here....
    2D North-up Planning Map world Map pinch-zoomed OUT to show the Venezuela Map....
    xeemu1p4ma83.jpg

2D North-up Planning Map pinch zoomed OUT to show Venezuela
    gbewkdene333.jpg

Try a Search for Caracas....
    zdh9g5uhxtwa.jpg

ATB YFM
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    @YamFazMan, Thanks but when I am on the Venezuela map there is no map, just white space. Thanks
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi @MyNameAllreadyExists

What happens when you have the Venezuela Map select and you go to Search and type Caracas. When you select somewhere in Caracas and Tap the 3 dots next to Drive and choose Use as Start then Select somewhere else in Caracas then select lets go you should be able to see the route on the screen with all the map details.

Doug
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    Doug, I am as thick as two short planks. I never thought of doing a search. When I do a search for Caracas, it takes me to street view (I have applied 2D), but it I click on the maps (top right) there is no map. It is still white. I have checked to make sure Venezuela is on the Micro SDHC Card. On My Drive as soon as I moved the card Venezuela disappeared. I was concerned that it could be on device drive with Europe.

If I do as you say and do a search for another place in Caracas. Chose a place I could see Chacao. and a route was planned to drive. If I pinch in I can see the sea. Thank you.
  • YamFazMan
     Superuser
    Answer ✓
    Hi
    @MyNameAllreadyExists
    Glad to see you're sorted :)

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLap
    Superuser
    Hi @MyNameAllreadyExists

If you are going to Venezuela or any other country you have the map for you can preset My Places and create routes and save them on the device before you go. Routes created on the unit will react to traffic data so may change from the exact route shown when saved. So for example you can se your hotel before you go and then you can quickly pick it when you arrive in the country.

Glad you are sorted.

Doug
  • MyNameAllreadyExists
    Exalted Navigator
    Thanks Doug