traffic not working on Go 6200 with wifi — TomTom Discussions

traffic not working on Go 6200 with wifi

oars
oars Registered Users Posts: 15
Master Explorer
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
Good afternoon. I recently posted on this issue from France and thought it had been resolved, but no.
System -- About --- shows Traffic Activated and below ''you have a TomTom Traffic subscription''
Any guidance gratefully accepted. as I really do not want another hour and a half in traffic on A6 Lyon !
Thank you
Oars

Comments

• DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,383
    Superuser
    Hi @oars

Look back here tomorrow to see what @VikramK has t say after he has reviewed your units settings on the TT servers.

Doug
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Thank you Doug, I shall do as you suggest.
    Have a good night.
    Oars
  • VikramK
    VikramK Registered Users, Administrators Posts: 13,088
    Hi @oars
    The services on your account look okay, probably it was a connectivity or a network issue.
    Did you try a soft reset or a factory reset at that point to see if it gets back the connection?

Thanks,
    Vikram
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Good morning Vikram and thank you for your assistance.
    While in France I did a hard reset and restored the device with some difficulty. Still had no Traffic.
    Best wishes
    Oars
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 20,480
    Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi
    @oars
    Australia & Switzerland have ended the 2G phone services....
    So no GPRS SIM signal is available in those Countries ....

To check the Data Connection status....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Setting --> System --> About…
    Scroll down to Data Connection & GPRS Status....

What does the device report for the data Connection ...???

Is the GPRS Status showing as ... Connected ???

GPRS SIM connection on the Tomtom Live devices....
    There are 3 Data connection options that can have a higher/priority/override the Built-in GPRS SIM....

(1).... An active USB connection on your PC + MyDrive connect running on your PC....

Check the GPRS SIM Data Connection....
    Are you at home with your GO Premium connected to a USB port on your PC for a power supply + MyDrive connect running on your PC ???
    The USB connection will take priority over the GPRS SIM....

Disconnect the USB Lead from your PC....

Note... If you need to power the device, when checking the GPRS SIM Connections, use something like a Mains USB Charger or a SmartPhone USB charger with the original Tomtom Power lead....

(2)... An active Wi-Fi connection on your Tomtom device....

With your device still disconnected from USB....
    Turn off Wi-Fi....
    Wi-Fi will take priority over the GPRS SIM
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your Connected Wi-Fi
    Tap (Modify) Icon
    Tap (Forget) Icon
    To verify the Wi-Fi is OFF, Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) screen top right Wi-Fi logo with X
    70e5b90b-25ce-4fca-994c-e836a17cb9fa.jpg

Note....
    To Reconnect to Wi-Fi....
    Tap 4Dot (.... Menu) --> Settings --> Wi-Fi
    Tap on your chosen Wi-Fi
    Enter your Wi-Fi Password
    Tap Done
    Tap Connect

Note... I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when you 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) the Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password

On Tomtom NAV4 & (Wi-Fi) connected devices...
    With a built-in GPRS SIM....
    (3)... An active Bluetooth/phone connection.... 'Data for Traffic & other services' set to ON when using the MyDrive App on a Tomtom Live device ???

Is your iPhone connected over Bluetooth to the MyDrive App....
    If you have selected the 2nd Bluetooth option....
    'Data for Traffic & other services' ON.....
    The Bluetooth/Phone connection will have priority over the GPRS SIM....

dtsfwp43pa9e.jpg

wkkikyhv4wmt.jpg

There's an unresolved problem with the Apple iPhone iOS 13 & 14 the MyDrive App and the advanced Smartphone features....
    See.... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1745255/#Comment_1745255

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Data connection shows Wi-Fi
    GPRS Status shows Disconnected
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Turned off wifi and now data connection shows ''none'' and GPRS shows ''disconnected''. Major problems yesterday at M11 / A120 junction and no help from TomTom.
  • DougLap
    DougLap Posts: 9,383
    Superuser
    Hi @oars

There have been reports of some of the Inbuilt Mobile Sims having corrosion issues on the Contacts. If you feel confident enough, and your unit is out of Warrantee, doing the following would void any warrantee, then if you carefully remove the label on the bottom, next to the extra memory card, you will see the Sim. If you carefully remove the sim and very gently clean the contacts on it then push it In/Out a few times to try and clean the inner contacts then you may find that resolves the issue. Be sure to cover the the sim afterwards.

Doug
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Thank you very much DougLap. I got my nav in June 2020 so well in warranty. Not sure I want to be opening it up but will see how I get on with a claim if necessary.
    Best wishes
    Oars
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    Hi
    @oars
    Welcome to the site.....
    As your device is Out Of Warrantee...
    Maybe useful...
    The SIM cards for the Live NAV3, NAV4 & the latest Wi-Fi Connected devices are located under concealed flaps and/or stickers in various location on the devices....
    For More Info See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1743932/#Comment_1743932

Stay Safe.... ATB YFM
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    Thank you YamFazMan, can you see that my device is out of warranty ?
    I bought it online 'brand new' from Iberia 12/06/2020 - S/N includes 8PL6.002.03SIM.3
    I wonder if this makes a difference. Box fully sealed and states Radares and Traffic para toda vida which translates as for life. Thanks for your efforts.
    Oars
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @oars
    I have no access to Tomtom backend systems... I'm just a user like yourself...
    I meant to say... 'If' your device is Out of Warrantee....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • oars
    Master Explorer
    As it's useless without traffic, I took the drastic action of trying to extract the sim to clean up the contacts. Could not extract it but the movement has prompted GPRS to now show 'connected'. Looks like a fix for now. Will report again on how it lasts.
    Unconnected, I know, but well done TomTom for the Remove Content button.
  • YamFazMan
    Superuser
    edited November 2021
    Hi
    @oars
    You're welcome, glad you're sorted :)
    oars wrote: »
    (Snip) I took the drastic action of trying to extract the SIM to clean up the contacts. Could not extract it, but the movement has prompted GPRS to now show 'connected'. Looks like a fix for now. Will report again on how it lasts (Snip)
    Yes, you will need a pair of strong/fine pointed tweezers or fine pointed Craft type pliers to remove the SIM Card....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM