Maps birth defects that must be fixed ASAP — TomTom Community

Maps birth defects that must be fixed ASAP

SimulacraSimulacra Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
I'm trying to fix some TomTom maps faults using MapShare tool.
I found that there are many birth defects that I'm not able to fix by myself because they caused by TomTom negligence.
Northern Ireland are developing very fast and TomTom became unreliable map provider. Unfortunately, TomTom maps are used in many built-in car navigation systems.

I speak mainly about Northern Ireland (UK) and partly about Republic of Ireland

For example
1. All locations of ATM Machines (that are marked as Cashzone at the TomTom map) are incorrect and randomly thrown on the map.
2. All Russell shops are located incorrectly. ATM Machines (Cashzones) also are not located inside the shops but displaced chaotically outside, sometimes far away from the shops.
3. All Dunnes Stores location are incorrect. I can fix 1 or 2, but there all location are wrong. The same about Sainsbury's, Tesco, Marks and Spencers, Homebase, Currys PC World, B&Q, Lidl, The Range, Spare, Post office, many of small businesses etc.
4. TomTom is not aware about Shopping Centres/Hypermarkets Car parkings. Routes typically lead us to backyards where no entrance to the parking places.
5. TomTom have POI for Dublin Airport Terminal 1 car parks but when I was here, the navigator warned me that there is no way and I must go back as soon as possible. I used signs and road markings to go in and out but TomTom was misleading and confusing. I used GPS location to get here from Dublin Airport Website.
6. Some speed warning are not correct too. In some country areas the speed limit on the single carriageway and some small built-in areas was 80 miles per hour that is not correct (should be no more than 60, could be even less because the quality of the road or 30 mph for built-in areas).
7. Locations of medical institutions are outdated or wrong or missing. their names are outdated.
8. Every time I'm going to visit a place in Northern Ireland or ROI, I check Google Maps for GPS location and use GPS coordinates to build a route. In many times I have an warning that there is no way to the point.

I'm asking TomTom to pay a serious attention to this fault and fix them ASAP as we pay a fortune for the map updates.

Answers

• NiallNiall Posts: 11,068
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Moderators @VikramK @szachowa @lampard your comments please
  • SimulacraSimulacra Posts: 23 [Outstanding Explorer]
    edited October 13
    There is a typical fault. Tesco Extra in Antrim. We can see Tesco Petrol station, which is located incorrectly, we can find Tesco ATM machine, which is far away from Tesco. And more over there is no Tesco Extra!!! The TomTom maps are so unreliable, you can take any location and you will see the same faults.

n1v901pq4yt9.png
    All ATM machines are wrongly located
    6zvspgectcqo.png
    edited October 14
    Every single shopping centre in Northern Ireland is made incorrectly on TomTom, making the map useless rubbish.
    l481bujss3ed.png

The community can help with map updates and fixing errors but we can do nothing in the case when maps are not built properly at the first time.

2n0gz6w1e7uq.png
    2xm7bgh6agst.png

ATM probably were deployed on the map using an automation script that has an error. It's not possible to fix all of them manually. They should be removed and reaploaded.
    046mj1rws6mb.png
    edited October 15
    Antrim, County Antrim. Northern Ireland

The entire plan is wrong. There are many chaotically located duplicates with the wrong addresses.

The 'Junction One on the map above is just a set of private houses, not the actual shopping centre, which is placed a bit lower.

Newtownards
    At a quick glance, we can see that the road infrastructure is wrong.

And once again: any single shopping centre in NI is wrongly marked in TomTom, so we can't rely on the built-in navigator and should use Google Maps instead, especially when we are looking for a specific shop located here. The route to Homebase, for example, based at a shopping centre can lead into nowhere, at the middle of a carriageway, into a private house, etc.

I paid £75 for the TomTom map and found it useless.

So colled Junction One Leisure Park with shops and restaurants is just a dead-end leading to private houses. I marked this place as 'does not exist but the report was rejected. People in TomTom even don't verify the reports properly.
    8g6fcjwi4cax.png

edited October 15
    It's not the only case. The entire Antrim is in a big mess as well as the rest of NI
    ns45ekf016d1.png
    n68s8gpj7vfk.png
    a632c7s88s1w.png

edited October 16
    For ATM machines would be much better to change them from Cashzone to ATM and the category from Cash Dispenser to ATM-Automatic Teller Machine and then rename them from a confusing type like Ards Shopping Centre or Spare to ATM - Ards Shopping Centre, ATM - Spare etc., so we could distinguish a shop from an ATM. That especially makes sense because ATMs are incorrectly located.
    edited October 16
    That is a good example. Do the same for the UK and Ireland. All ATMs must be just ATMs and the address should be not in the title but in the corresponding field.
    3pot6nlh70kh.png
    Why TT loves multiply non-existent POI?
    1. For example:
    Narvik Road in Antrim
    I got here leading by TomTom map. It just a set of dwelling houses. But it was marked as
    POI Name Junction One Leisure Park
    Road Narvik Drive
    City Antrim and Newtownabbey
    Postal Code BT41 4LN
    I drove into dead end.
    The map also shows multiple unexacted shops here:
    such as Marks & Spencer and Card Factory
    TT refused to delete all these misleading and wrong POI because of 'Insufficient Information'. Which information do you need? TT even doesn't care to make a simple factcheck.
    u9fl3efe9mrl.png

Antrim had MS outlet in the past. Now it closed forever. TT maps has multiple location of this closed shop in different part of the map far away from its location. TT refused to delete them.

And I can continue telling this story but it's not about a case study, it's about how TT works and explains why we have so much rubbish on the map and how this map is becoming so useless.
    Multiple POI.
    2 or 3 duplicates, all of them wrongly located, even in if the POI is close to the real point, its address can be completely wrong. As far as I can see, TomTom doesn't care of any simple fact check and it makes it difficult to fix the error.

ATM machines.
    All ATM machines in Northern Ireland are located chaotically without any link to their real places. They are also named as Cashzone or Paypoint that makes them not easy to find.
    They are also confusing during the selection of routes in a navigator as they have the same name and address as a shop where they are located, and it leads to the wrong route (because ATMs are located far away from their real places, as I've already told).
    Probably all ATMs must be revised: deleted from the map and replaced again using their correct coordinates, renamed simply to ATM.
    edited October 23
    IKEA Belfast
    jh4qh3mckyvy.png

Portrush
    t7vbksu4f8w5.png
  • eddydceddydc Posts: 298 [Exalted Navigator]
    I'm afraid that you're effort in putting all the issues in this forum either. The response from the TT people in the forums is deafening silent.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,325
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Simulacra
    I would think @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators would pick this up Tomorrow and forward your post to the appropriate Dept/People .....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,165
    Superuser
    Hi @Simulacra

I think Tomtom may have a policy that means there is a reluctance to change them without confirmation from the business concerned.

Doug
    The TomTom business policy is not of my concern. I'm not going to teach them how to do their job.
    I'm worried about the quality of the product. As a customer, I'm not satisfied because the quality is very low and intolerable.
    And the best answer to me would be fixing the faults in the next release. There is a lot of work that should be done for Northern Ireland and probably for the Republic of Ireland too.
    I hope TomTom takes into consideration our remarks and do their best to improve the quality.
    edited October 25
    Checked before to go to Dundalk, Republic of Ireland.
    TomTom leads to the backyards. We can't relay on it
    zygrki8rlsov.png
    Simulacra wrote: »
    The TomTom business policy is not of my concern. I'm not going to teach them how to do their job.
    I'm worried about the quality of the product. As a customer, I'm not satisfied because the quality is very low and intolerable.

That doesn't apply on the maps only, but the apps too.

• Shawnloveshorses_161Shawnloveshorses_161 Posts: 180 [Outstanding Wayfarer]
    Hi, I have similar issues that I have reported that soon will be fixed. Well the team needs to have enough info to correct the change. It would be best to find some sort of official pdf or website with the parking lot map.

Or contact the shopping centre via email or something to ask them to report it to TomTom or ask them for the pdf.

So you can report it to them so they know what to fix, thanks :)

Shawn

I am not a TomTom Employee, just giving some adivse.
    Reporting problems isn't the issue. Having the fixes deployed on the apps is the major problem
    As a community, we can help to fix mistakes and provide some additional info but without professional support, all we do is in vain. We just can't fix everything, if the overall quality is bad. But the quality of NI maps is very poor. I've left more than 300 reports in less than 1 week and it's a lot of work that should be done using special tools, that could help tackle such an amount of data. Mapshare is designed for one fix per time. We can't upload a list of parking places, for example, we should input data step by step manually
    Simulacra wrote: »
    Mapshare is designed for one fix per time. We can't upload a list of parking places, for example, we should input data step by step manually

Despite that Here Mapcreator is a far more superior tool than the outdated TT Mapshare, it also does only allow incident by incident reporting. Don't have any experience with Waze reporting, but at first glance, it doesn't seem to provide bulk import "import" either.

edited October 29
    That is completely normal. You spotted for example that your office is marked incorrectly on the map and you can report that. But you can't improve the overall quality of the product. That is a competence of professionals. It seems TT abandoned making qualitative updates on the NI maps.