My Go Premium won't restore when connected to MyDrive Connect — TomTom Community

My Go Premium won't restore when connected to MyDrive Connect

Dave_DixonDave_Dixon Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
I have a TomTom Premium X and recently it has gone into recovery mode somehow. When it starts up it just keep showing a screen with computer and my tomtom device with a cable between with an X.
I've tried connecting to my laptop by USB cable and Mydrive Connect starts and recognises my device and starts to restore but it only gets to about 10% then disconnects or restarts my device then when the device restarts it connects starts the restore for about 10% then switches off again. This will just continue this cycle if its left connected, starting and stopping.

I've searched and found various post about this and suggested remedies. I've tried uninstalling Mydrive Connect and reinstalling, checking firewall settings, checking that my USB isn't going to sleep etc but still can't sort this out.

Any help would be much appreciated before I through the thing out the window.

Answers

• Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,938 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Get help from Tomtom support.

How to contact TomTom customer support by chat or email
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360015568919/
  • Dave_DixonDave_Dixon Posts: 18 [Master Explorer]
    Sorry but I’ve click on the link and I still can’t see how to get help by chat or email.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,122
    Superuser
    Hi @Dave_Dixon

Try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and at the bottom is a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,282
    Superusers
    edited September 20
    Hi
    @Dave_Dixon
    Welcome to the site....
    It looks like something happened to crash the operating system, and that the Recovery Mode may have automatically started on your device....

General info for Recovery Mode....
    Note... The Recovery Mode procedure will >> NOT << work with the device connected over Wi-Fi....
    For Recovery Mode to work, MyDrive Connect >> MUST << be running on your PC, and be capable of displaying as >> CONNECTED << in MyDrive Connect...
    The device MUST be connected to your PC using the supplied USB Cable with MyDrive Connect running in the background for the Recovery process to complete....

Installing MyDrive Connect....
    Here... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959499-Installing-MyDrive-Connect

See Tomtom FAQ... Navigation device not starting or displaying a cross....
    See... https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959579-Navigation-device-not-starting-or-displaying-a-cross
    If Recovery mode has Auto Started, it will bypass the Text screen and the 3 presses of the power button... And will already be at a stage of Recovery somewhere between the 'Spinning-disk' image shown in bullet point (5) and the bullet point (7) image showing the recovery progress count up to 100%

Once Recovery Mode is initiated, and if a connection to MyDrive Connect has NOT established... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out....
    Any attempts at a Restart of the device... Recovery Mode will continue to attempt to connect to MDC until the Server eventually times-out

The way of contacting Customer Services has changed
    For Tomtom Support Email or Chat lines...
    (Monday to Friday Normal Office Hours)
    Chat… Will be available during Normal Office Hours
    Email… Will be available outside of Normal Office Hours

Step by step tips when Contacting Tomtom Support....
    Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1771083/#Comment_1771083

ATB YFM
    Thanks, I've managed to contact someone on the Chat now and they are escalating this. I'm just waiting for an email.
    edited October 18
    I thought I'd just come back on here and give some update on this issue with my device.

I'm not happy with the service I have received from TomTom support.

I managed to contact someone via the online chat and went through various tests, changing cables etc. I tried connecting on two other peoples computers in case it was a problem with my computer, nothing resolved the issue.

I was then told that I would need to send it back to TomTom for repair and if it's out of warranty there would be a charge, which it was by 4 months. The charge turned out to be £93! I tried to argue that as this was a software issue not a physical fault or damage I shouldn't need to pay but they insisted that I would need to pay.

I begrudgingly paid the fee and my device was picked up by UPS on the 29th September going to Romania. It arrived at Stansted on Friday 1st October where it is now sitting in a warehouse, for 2 weeks!! I can get regular updates from UPS via the app but can't contact them to find out what the hold up is. I have been contacting TomTom regularly, via email, to try and find out what is going on but it usually takes a day or two to get an answer and then I'm not given a reason why its being held at Stansted.

I am so thoroughly p**d off with this that this morning I've tried contacting TomTom direct to raise an official complaint. I found some numbers on the internet but both numbers are unavailable, I know it says on the support page that the telephone lines have been suspended due to COVID!!

I'm at my wit's end with this now and just wondering if anyone has any suggestions or alternative ways of contacting TomTom to raise a complaint.

Thanks in advance Dave
    Superusers
    edited October 15
    Hi
    @Dave_Dixon
    @VikramK or @lampard the Forum Moderators should pick this up on Monday and maybe check out the status of your repair.....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks @YamFazMan,

I’ll wait and see what they can come up with.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,866 Moderator
    Hi @Dave_Dixon
    I have sent a heads-up to our customer service team. They will get back to you with any updates on the repair status.

-Vikram
    Thank you @VikramK

I have this morning received an email apologising for the delay and stating that as the device is still stuck in customs I am to be sent a replacement unit.

I just hope that it too doesn't get stuck in the delivery chain.

Hi again,

An update, I did receive a replacement device a few weeks ago but I am still having issues which I can’t seem to resolve through email.

It would now appear that my Speed Camera and Live Traffic Update subscriptions have expired. On my original device these updates were for life and had no expiry date. I am assuming that these subscriptions were linked to the serial number of my old device and just need linking to the replacement device?

Again I am getting know where with support by replying to the last email I had. Can anyone on here chase this with someone in support please @VikramK @YamFazMan

Thanks in advance

Dave
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,122
    Superuser
    Hi @Dave_Dixon

It looks like you replacements not set up on the TT servers correctly so changes are needed.

The best option is @VikramK, who should be back on the forum on Monday so look back here then. It might be an idea to put on here the last 3 digits of the serial number of the replacement unit to ensure he knows which one is involved. Do NOT put the whole serial number here as if he requires it he will ask you to message it to him.

@YamFazMan is a user like yourself so does not have the necessary access.

Doug
    Ok, thanks for your reply. I will wait for @YamFazMan to get back to me.

The serial number of the replacement device ends in 002.

Dave
    Dave_Dixon wrote: »
    Ok, thanks for your reply. I will wait for @YamFazMan to get back to me.

The serial number of the replacement device ends in 002.

Dave

Sorry I meant to reference @VikramK

edited November 25
    Hi
    Go premium the speed cameras and Live traffic update are for life if the service is not activated automatically contact customer service or come back tomorrow the moderator @VikramK will watch your account reactivate Vo right.
    Thanks @Willy875, I will keep an eye on my account and wait for it to be updated.
    @Dave_Dixon
    Hi Dave
    The services for your TomTom have been fixed.
    Please do a soft reset and check again....

Regards,
    Vikram
    Thanks @VikramK

I can see that my subscriptions have updated on my device, thank you for intervening and getting this updated on the system (I still don’t see why it took to me coming on the community to get this done).

The other thing I have noticed now is when I log in on my account under “My Products” my replacement device is not showing, it was a few days ago. My old device is there (serial number ending in 005) and my really old XL IQR live but not this replacement device.

Dave
    Superusers
    Hi
    @Dave_Dixon
    Have you registered the replacement device to your account & removed the old device ??? If you did not specify that you wanted your original device to be fixed and returned, then you would receive a replacement device in its place...
    Obviously, a replacement device will have a different Serial number & GPRS SIM ID number....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    I logged in on the replacement device when I received it and everything synced with this device i.e. saved locations, routes etc. Yesterday evening I found information on how to add a new device ( you can have up to 5 devices registered) but when I went through the procedure of connecting to My Connect it told me to log in on the device, of course I was already logged in on the device. It just kept cycling through the screens and coming back to the screen telling me to connect and log in on the device. I could “unsync” on the device and then try connecting again but I don’t want to loose everything.

I have removed my old device from My Connect but it didn’t make any difference.

Thanks,

Dave
    You do not need to connect your Go premium to Mydrive connect made all the updates via the wi-fi device connect to a mains charger.
    @Willy875
    Yes I know you can update maps etc. by Wi-Fi, I have done this, no problem. What I’m concerned about is that my replacement device doesn’t show up in my account, both on line and in My Drive Connect.
    edited November 27
    If I understood correctly, you added a device but the device is still not visible on your account.

in my opinion until monday the moderator can add the device to your account manually.
    @Dave_Dixon
    Could you send me the serial number of your device through a private message, please?

Thanks, Vikram
    @VikramK
    I have PMed you the serial number

Thanks