My TomTom turns off frequently, then after some time turns on again.

seingalt
seingalt Registered Users Posts: 5
Apprentice Seeker
edited December 2021 in Devices using Wi-Fi®
This happens more and more frequently, putting me in very unpleasant situations. Why does this happen? Can it be fixed?

Answers

• YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,169
     Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi
    @seingalt
    Welcome to the site....
    I find the Wi-Fi devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when I 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1763247/#Comment_1763247

Some users have reported that logging out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the device is beneficial....
    I have multiple Tomtom devices, so I have always logged out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the devices by default (So I can't comment if it's beneficial or not) ???
    Logging out of MyDrive fix for Multiple device using one Account
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1725859/#Comment_1725859
    I guess the fewer Data Connections in use on the device, at any one time, the less load on system resources ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • seingalt
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion is very interesting. However, by clicking "forget" I only eliminate the connection I am using at home. The wifi itself apparently can't be eliminated and remains in a "potential" state.
  • Grumpftl
    Grumpftl Registered Users Posts: 6
    Master Explorer
    I had the same behaviour - reboot nearly every min (getting dark, then it's starting up again).
    Finaly a "reset to default" and re-entering everything new (tomtom account, settings etc.) helped.
    So you may try that....

Greetings
    Grumpftl
  • YamFazMan
    YamFazMan Posts: 21,169
     Superuser
    edited October 2021
    Hi
    @seingalt
    seingalt wrote: »
    Thank you very much. Your suggestion is very interesting. However, by clicking "forget" I only eliminate the connection I am using at home. The wifi itself apparently can't be eliminated and remains in a "potential" state.
    Yes.....
    As in my initial post, I have Multiple Tomtom devices and have always logged out of MyDrive in the device Settings Menu....
    My Wi-Fi GO premium was quite laggy & occasionally crashed.... But since I 'Forgot' the Wi-Fi in the setting menus, it's been OK....

Old post maybe interesting... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1117134/how-to-turn-off-wi-fi-transmission

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • seingalt
    Apprentice Seeker
    This solution looks very reasonable, but I am not sure that after "reset to default" (in my Italian TomTom: "ripristina dispositivo") I shall be able to re-enter all the previous data (maps and the rest). Could you show me the step by step procedure I should follow? Grazie!
  • seingalt
    Apprentice Seeker
    The only effective solution has been in fact "ripristina" (recover) from the menu of the device itself (Go Premium 6). There has been no need to re-install anything (apart from "Language" and so on). Even the positions selected previously were there. I should add that the TomTom video on YouTube has been of no help (or worse...). My final comment is: may a major company like TomTom abandon its customers and only count on the kindness of the Forum? I would have wished to receive an official response to my query by TomTom itself, as for example Apple does. Thank you very much to the Forum for their kind help!
  • malcs3
    malcs3 Registered Users Posts: 14
    Legendary Explorer
    I have a problem that my Go Premium continually freezes then restarts over and over. I found that if i turn the My Drive syncing OFF on the device then it sorts out the problem. But it means I cannot connect to the My Drive app on my phone!! And the reply I keep getting is to try a new account....which means I lose all my stored places etc. 3 of my friends have exactly the same issue. TomTom need to correct the issue with a software update, as it is not my account that's faulty but the software. My device works perfectly if the syncing to MyDrive is OFF
  • seingalt
    Apprentice Seeker
    Thank you. I will bear it in mind for the next shortcomings, which are likely to come...