I have a problem to update my maps with USB and need support from TomTom — TomTom Community

I have a problem to update my maps with USB and need support from TomTom

Carel_62Carel_62 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
I cannot update my maps through USB. DOing this by WIFI is terribly slowly. This really sucks. I am trying to connect TomTom support, but that also does not work. WHen I try to use the chat box, it seems there is a script error from the chat as it shows all kind of code. And typing a question is almost impossible.

I am getting terribly frustrated with this. Does anyone know how I can get decent support from TomTom?

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,096
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi @Carel_62

It is currently not possible to update the maps whilst connected to the internet via USB/PC. The updating of Maps and the Adding of Maps can only be done by connecting the GO unit directly to your Wifi.

The ability to update when connected to a PC may be possible in the future but Tomtom have not said if it will be or when.

Doug
  • Carel_62Carel_62 Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Thanks Doug,
    That is important info which is much appreciated.

But this is very bad news. Updating by WIFI is terrible. It took me multiple hours when at home. I placed the TomTom next to the router. And I have high speed internet.

What a terrible disappointment. TomTom makes nice promotion of their Go Discover which can be updated weekly (or perhaps even daily). But doing this every week, would require me to wait multiple hours once a week. Sigh.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,096
    Superuser
    edited October 13
    Hi @Carel_62

Okay. Have you connected to Wifi based on 5ghz rather than 2.4ghz. The Go Discover and GO Expert units are capable of connecting to 5ghz which the older TT units cannot.

One other thing I would suggest is to try each update one at a time rather than them all at the same time. Also you can delete any countries / Areas of mapping that you don't need as you can can easily add any of them should you need them at any time as this will reduce the number of map updates offered..

Doug
  • Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,845 [Exalted Pioneer]
    @Carel_62
    Via wifi you must connect your Go to a mains charger, not connect it to the computer.