Why is there a fee for map upgrades when I have Lifetime Maps? — TomTom Community

Why is there a fee for map upgrades when I have Lifetime Maps?

I have TOMTOM VIA 1405 TM that came with Lifetime Maps. But my updates only include an option to pay $79.99 for a map update. I still have all the original paperwork that came with this product including the promotional code for the Lifetime Map updates. Can you please assist?

Comments

• Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,981 [Exalted Pioneer]
    Accepted Answer
    If you have the lifetime updates coming back on Monday the moderator @VikramK will look at your account.
  • VikramKVikramK Posts: 12,866 Moderator
    Hi @Helen_E
    Welcome to the community!
    I reviewed the device subscriptions, I don't see the device is factory embedded with lifetime maps.
    If you purchased the device with lifetime maps, then please contact our customer service. They might need some additional information before activating the services.
    Regards, Vikram
  • Helen_EHelen_E Posts: 13 [Master Explorer]
    Thanks so much Vikram. Is there a customer service phone number? When I click on the 'contact us' link, it just leads me back here.
  • DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,143
    Superuser
    Hi @Helen_E

There are no phone lines so try the following:-

Tap Support at the top of this page
    You then HAVE to Sign in Top Right of next Page. (you have to do this)
    When signed in, and not before, Tap Contact Us bottom right
    Help Box appears and at the bottom is a message option
    Type Contact or Chat in the box
    If Chat is available you should be offered the chance to Tap Live Chat
    If it is Out of Hours for Chat you should be offered an option to message

If it does not work exactly as described then try another Web Browser.

Doug
    Also: the 'chat' function seems to have a problem: it flickers so badly that nothing can be typed into the chatbox. I've tried it on several different browsers and the same thing happens each time. So if there isn't a customer service phone number, is there a customer service email?
    Thank you Douglap. I followed your instructions and still have the issue previously described regarding the chatbox - it flickers rapidly and though I can see the bar where I should type a question, the flickering problem prevents me from typing in a question. Even if it did allow me to type and I received an answer back, the rapid flickering of the chatbox itself would prevent me from seeing any answers. I've tried your instructions signing into TOMTOM on Chrome, Edge, Safari and Firefox and the chatbox behaves the same in all those browsers. So I have no way of making contact with anyone who can assist. Any further suggestions would be much appreciated. Is there an email for customer service?
    Superuser
    Hi @Helen_E

Can you try on another PC. I have just used the process I suggested on my phone for the first time and it works fine.

Doug
    Hi Doug ... No other PC is available to try. Tried on my phone and the 'Chat to our Chatbot' function link is inactive through my iphone 11SE.. So I copied, cut and pasted my original question along with Vikram's reply into the flickering chatbox available through the chatbot link on my PC. Asked specifically for an email or phone number for customer service so I can talk to a live person to resolve the issue. My question appeared and the "..." that indicated the chatbot was attempting to answer appeared for a minute and then disappeared. Since then there is no activity in response to my question posed to the chatbot. Will also let Vikram know and see if he has any further suggestions.
    This message is for Vikram: Doug has been trying to assist, but the issue is still not resolved. The chatbox function flickers no matter what browser I use, but I was able to copy, cut, and paste my original question to you along with your reply into it. I asked specifically for an email or phone number for customer service so I can talk to a live person to resolve the issue. There was no response from the chatbot: My question appeared and the "..." that indicated the chatbot was attempting to answer appeared for a minute and then disappeared. Since then, there is no activity in response to my question in the chatbox. Can you please give me some way to speak directly to a customer service representative, either an email or phone number?
    Superuser
    Hi @Helen_E

There is no phone line Customer Support only the Chat and messaging option I have outlined.

Doug
    I'm still resolving the issue of map updates and now have a question about map zones. I got the customer service help I needed through the Facebook messaging function and uploaded several of the smaller map zones to my TOMTOM VIA 1405. The smaller map zones were needed because the current USA map download was too large for the available space on the device even after deleting all but one narration voice from it. Once all the smaller map zone updates were installed, my device asked me to choose a map zone out of the 4 map zones I downloaded. Once I did that, the device offered no way (no onscreen function or option that I can locate) to switch to a different map zone. So if I'm driving beyond the map zone currently in operation, there seems to be no way to switch to a different map zone. Can anyone assist?
  • NiallNiall Posts: 11,068
    Superuser
    @Helen_E

Your device "AP">VIA 1400 / 1405, 4GB + micro-SDHC, MyDrive Connect NAV3 has a slot for a micro-SDHC memory card see this video
    With the card installed you will not need separate zones, but keep your local zone in the internal memory as a banker
    Thank you, Niall! Imagining that I can purchase a micro-SDHC memory card locally. Any thoughts as to size (GBs)?
    Minimum 16 GB maximum 32 GB
    edited October 19
    I purchased a 32 GB micro-SDHC memory card and inserted it into the device. But on MyDriveConnect, under 'my content,' the memory card shows no storage. Does anyone have any advice? I FIGURED THIS OUT BY READING NIALL'S EXCELLENT TROUBLESHOOTING POST. THANK YOU NIALL!
    edited October 19
    Also, the TomTom support rep on Facebook Messenger said "you can switch the map from Menu->Settings->Switch Map. But the Via 1405 TM has only the following options in its menu: home, favorite, address, recent destination, point of interest, my location, point on a map, latitude/longitude, and position of last stop. There is no ‘settings’ option. Does anyone have any helpful advice on how to locate the Setting option in this device?
    Superuser
    edited October 19
    @Helen_E

See page 52 of the manual http://download.tomtom.com/open/manuals/non-LIVE/refman/TomTom-US-non-LIVE-RG-en-us.pdf
    Tap this button to select the map you want to use for route planning and
    navigation.
    Although you can store more than one map on the device, you can only
    use one map at a time for planning and navigation.
    To switch from the current map to plan a route in another country or
    region, simply tap this button.
    edited October 21
    Thanks Niall ... But my TOMTOM VIA 1405 TM does not have that 'Switch Map' icon. My device has only the following options in its menu: home, favorite, address, recent destination, point of interest, my location, point on a map, latitude/longitude, and position of last stop. There is no ‘switch map’ option. I'm thinking that maybe I have missed an update to the device that would have included adding those options to the menu choices?
    Superuser
    Hi @Helen_E

Is the option for changing the Maps in Settings?

Doug
    Hi

the Via 1405 is a Nav 3 either we download the complete map of Europe on the SD or we download map areas on the internal memory of the device.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,302
    Superusers
    edited October 21
    Hi
    @Helen_E
    Helen_E wrote: »
    (Snip) Once all the smaller map zone updates were installed, my device asked me to choose a map zone out of the 4 map zones I downloaded. Once I did that, the device offered no way (no onscreen function or option that I can locate) to switch to a different map zone. So if I'm driving beyond the map zone currently in operation, there seems to be no way to switch to a different map zone. Can anyone assist?
    Maybe you can adapt the below post to suit the USA Map or USA Map zones ???

Trip From France to the UK....
    On the screen where you enter your city/postcode
    Screen top right is a Flag Icon... Tap the Flag Icon (Should be your countries flag) For example... The French Tricolour flag....

If you plan a trip to another Country, you will have to change the Map to suit....
    For example a trip From France to the UK.... Tap on the Tricolour Flag Icon and type UN or as much of the countries name, i.e... United Kingdom to put the UK map Icon at the top of the flag list
    Tap the UK Flag Icon... The Flag (Screen top right) will now be The UK Union Flag
    Now you can enter your UK Address and plan your Journey....
    The UK map will now be the default Map

Each time you plan a trip to another Country, you will have to change the Map as above to suit
    Don't forget to switch back to your own Countries Map on your return

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Thanks so much, everyone, for your comments and helpful offerings. The issue of switching between map zones s has been resolved by the purchase and installation of a 32 GB micro-SDHC memory card which allowed me to download the full US, Canada & Mexico map update. I cleared the now unnecessary smaller map zones from the memory. The remaining issue is that my device menu does not include a 'Switch Maps' or 'Settings' option. My menu only contains the following: home, favorite, address, recent destination, point of interest, my location, point on a map, latitude/longitude, and position of last stop. I've asked about this through the customer service connection I've made on the TOMTOM Facebook messenger app. They've asked for a photo of my menu options and I hope to get some guidance on why the menu for my device doesn't include the 'switch maps' or 'settings' options.
    Superuser
    @Helen_E

As you have deleted the "local" zone from the main memory you only have one map on the external memory card so there is nothing to switch between,
    It would have much safer to have retained the "local" zone in case of anything happening to the memory card and you end up with the dreaded "no maps" scenario
    See also this FAQ https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013959959-Choosing-and-installing-a-map-zone-MyDrive-Connect-
    Thank you Niall. I reinstalled the smaller map zones on my device, but there are no ‘menu’ or ‘settings’ options on the device. Even now with the full current USA map as well as the smaller USA map zones on the device, when it's activated, the options I mentioned before (home, favorite, address, recent destination, point of interest, my location, point on a map, latitude/longitude, and position of last stop) are the only things the device offers the user. Am I missing something about the functionality of this device? I’ve pressed every icon on the screen and never found either ‘menu’ or ‘settings.’