My Premium Go X constantly crashes after the last update — TomTom Community

My Premium Go X constantly crashes after the last update

SoupcanSoupcan Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
I am currently unable to use my device as it constantly freezes and restarts. Screen icons are unresponsive and doing a reset has no effect. If I use Mydrive connect with my pc, the device is shown as connected and up to date, but on the device there is no 'connected to computer' symbol. I can hear the sim connecting. The device was never very fast in the mornings, requiring about 5 minutes to settle into a usable state. But this is, well, unacceptable for a device at this price. I drive to multiple locations all day every day for a living, so in the meantime I have purchased a Garmin with live traffic for a 3rd of the price and it is a joy to use. And I have a basic Garmin anyway as a backup. Any ideas?? Jon
Tagged:

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,098
    Superuser
    Hi @Soupcan

Try a Soft Reset. With the unit well charged Hold in the ON/Off button for about 20 seconds until you hear the Drumroll sound then let the button go.

Doug
  • SoupcanSoupcan Posts: 6 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Thanks for your answers DougLap and YamFazMan- beleive me DougLap, I've tried the reset options, but I only ever get as far as current location, live traffic, then the device crashes- this in an endless loop. YamFazMan I am now going to look at your suggestions because it may well be an 'operating space' issue- I do have a micro sd insalled though. Currently i can't control the device in any form- just the Uk map would do me.
    Oh the serial number ends in 62
    Ok- in a 'window' in which I was able to access the settings in the menu, I have been able to hard reset the device- still working through the consequences of that.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,255
    Superusers
    edited October 10
    Hi
    @Soupcan
    Sorry, I didn't notice the 'GO Premium X' on the page header :3
    I only read your post and then checked out your Profile, hence the GO 50 references....
    I have removed those posts... Please check out my latest post....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    First 2 characters are ZT...
    Superusers
    edited October 9
    Hi
    @Soupcan
    I find the Wi-Fi Connected devices are more stable and more responsive in general use when I 'Forget' the Wi-Fi connection....
    Unless you're using a personal My-Fi Hotspot in the car for your data connection, the only other reason for a live Wi-Fi connection is for updating the device....
    I always turn off (Forget) Wi-Fi by default and only login for updates....
    It's no big deal for updates, you only have to enter your Wi-Fi password...
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1763247/#Comment_1763247

Some users find logging out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the device is beneficial....
    I have multiple Tomtom devices, so I have always logged out of MyDrive in the Setting menu on the devices by default (So I can't comment if it's beneficial or not) ???
    Logging out of MyDrive fix for Multiple device using one Account
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1725859/#Comment_1725859
    I guess the fewer Data Connections in use on the device, at any one time, the less load on system resources ???

Stay safe... ATB YFM
    Ok- after performing a 'hard' reset, I now have the device in a usable state.I have been able to restore settings from My Connect, but it has been long winded. I was not sure the sim was up to speed, as I have reset via wi fi, so the proof is when I take it out on Monday, but I will be using the Garmin. I have to say, for the price, the performance response is dire. When I get in my van first thing and turn the device on, I want to just use it and go, not wait for the device to look for upgrades etc. I will probably sell it after cheacking it's adequately functional.
    Superusers
    edited October 10
    Hi
    @Soupcan
    My Go Premium is absolutely fine, It’s been ages since I’ve had any startup problems, also it boots up from Sleep Mode and is ready for use in 3.35 seconds (Stopwatch)

qs98grybwufh.jpg
    If you get a 'Update Pending' Splash bar at the bottom of the screen....
    Place your finger on the Splash Bar and Swipe Down, the Bar Closes and the device operates normally....
    If you place finger on the Splash Bar and Swipe UP the Splash bar expands with more info about the available updates....

Stay safe... ATB YFM