Can I backup My Routes from my Go 5200 WiFi in order to restore them after factory reset? — TomTom Community

Can I backup My Routes from my Go 5200 WiFi in order to restore them after factory reset?

I have been advised to perform the Factory Reset of my Go 5200 WiFi. My TT account synchronizes My Places. My other grouped POIs are already saved in .OV2 files on my PC. But there are many defined routes in My Routes directory on the device, that will be gone after such reset. They are not recorded tracks, but routes that have several defined way-points each. They are not synchronized with my TT account.
I wonder whether or not my_account_MyDrive.json.gz file (with saved to the PC my downloaded MyDrive data from the MDW Route Planner) contains any data regarding the way-points of the routes defined in the My Routes on my device. And - if yes - whether there exists any software that can create the .GPX file with these way-points.
Regards
JM
Tagged:

Best Answers

• LochfrassLochfrass Posts: 16,696
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Save the waypoints and the destination from the routes in "My Places" and give them unique names.
    Then you can also make them poi or recreate the route when the device is set up again.

You can also run the recording and then simulate the saved route. The recording is then again saveable as a track. However, one loses the waypoints
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, that's what I meant. If I understood correctly you mean routes with an arrow with continuous lines (itn) and not GPX routes (dotted arrow).
    With an ITN, the routing between the start, destination and waypoints is flexible. So only these main points are important.
    Unfortunately you can only save them under "My Places" and give them a unique name.
    For future routes it might be a good idea to create the route in MyDrive and send it to the device with "Send Stops" if needed.
    Then only save without activating synchronization as a track.
    So you could send it on the road with the MyDrive app to the navigation device when it is needed.
    Or the evening before and then save again on the device

I hope you understand what i mean ;)

Answers

• DougLapDougLap Posts: 9,115
    Superuser
    edited October 7
    Deleted
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Save the waypoints and the destination from the routes in "My Places" and give them unique names.
    Then you can also make them poi or recreate the route when the device is set up again.

You can also run the recording and then simulate the saved route. The recording is then again saveable as a track. However, one loses the waypoints
  • JacaMaJacaMa Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    edited October 7
    Hi
    @Lochfrass
    Thanks for your response.

As I understand it: the start point, the waypoints, and the target point of each individual route, from those defined in My Routes, will not be available in the MyDrive data (my_account_MyDrive.json.gz file), downloaded from the device using MDW Route Planner (unless they are saved already in My Places). That is why I have to save them in My Places. Naming them like: "Route to Bukovina - Start", "Route to Bukovina - Target", "Route to Bukovina - point on DK88" will help me find them later in order to recreate the route (e.g. Route_to_Bukovina).
    Any export to Route_to_Bukovina.GPX file (or Route_to_Bukovina.OV2 file), one file per one route, neither the use of any external software on the PC will not be necessary.
    Is that correct?

And this means that there is no My Routes backup possibility, Just a lot of manual work. Most of waypoints I already converted to the WayPoints.OV2 file and created a personal POI group. I have bigger problem with saving of the list of the defined routes.

The second paragraph of your answer, that the track of the route can be recorded by simulation drive, answers my unasked question, and it is very helpful, though it's not exactly my preferred way.

Thanks again
    ATB JM
    Superusers
    Accepted Answer
    Yes, that's what I meant. If I understood correctly you mean routes with an arrow with continuous lines (itn) and not GPX routes (dotted arrow).
    With an ITN, the routing between the start, destination and waypoints is flexible. So only these main points are important.
    Unfortunately you can only save them under "My Places" and give them a unique name.
    For future routes it might be a good idea to create the route in MyDrive and send it to the device with "Send Stops" if needed.
    So you could send it on the road with the MyDrive app to the navigation device when it is needed.

And that means My Routes cannot be backed up. So Tom Tom, please don't advise so easily to do Factory Reset of the Go 5200 by claiming that "you can back up your device with MyDrive Connect."

ATB JM
    Hi
    @Lochfrass
    Thank you.
    Lochfrass wrote: »

In fact, many of these My Routes were originally defined in the MDW Route Planner. Usually, however, there are some differences in routing between the device and the MDW Route Planner, and even the maps themselves sometimes differ slightly between the device and the MDW Route Planner (the MDW Route Planner map is usually newer), so the corresponding routes in My Routes usually have additional waypoints or the same waypoints are slightly shifted. I need to review and align the routes in MDW Route Planner to those on the device.

Then I can reset my Go 5200 to factory settings. ;)

Regards and
    ATB JM
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,278
    Superusers
    edited October 8
    Hi
    @JacaMa
    Re... .ITN Routes v .GPX Tracks....
    I prefer .ITN Routes
    With .GPX (Tracks) you have the problem that they are totally useless on complex journeys... For example delivery drivers....

Here's a Complex 20 Stop .ITN Route... The .ITN Route visits every Stop
    n4mzsla8hxpk.jpg

I always have very poor results using .GPX Tracks for complex journey's
    Yes it plans a .GPX Track, yes it displays the Stops on the device, but the track fails to visit the majority of the stops...
    The Stops marked in Red, are missed... When you Zoom in (MAX) the .GPX Track just simply bypasses the cul-de-sac

The same Complex 20 Stop journey as .GPX (Track)....
    rl9ezla6v9zp.jpg

mpdu13kbdga8.jpg

bqqkr7pc0119.jpg

For me .ITN Routes are easy --> .GPX Tracks No joy ???

From what I have read on the Forum, Tomtom use some form of an exclusion corridor to a .GPX Track, the idea being to prevent false unplanned errors that divert you from the planned .GPX Track....
    Maybe ??? This is why most the of the cul-de-sac are missed in the example above....

Maybe useful.... Route planning tips....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1777725/#Comment_1777725

Transfer a route using a Micro SD Memory Card....
    To transfer a route to your NAV4 device using a Micro SD Memory Card.....
    Format your memory card on your PC to FAT32 format
    Copy you .GPX or .ITN route file to your Memory Card

My GO 5000 showing no routes installed...
    (It's The same method for my Rider 400 & 550)

ca63324a-1f9d-4ae6-b84e-f924cfccf9f8.jpg
    Insert the SD Memory card into the Card Slot the device will recognize the Memory Card.....

ee41c992-7c40-4ad4-bd6f-e6a4c258fe3f.jpg
    fcbd0e45-8cba-4575-996a-6715a6c67744.jpg
    2f5dc2eb-de59-4977-a3ef-4de9a15b21f0.jpg
    6b9f6fba-2499-4670-97b5-854c143f3382.jpg
    14213df2-c56b-46ad-a0b6-0d0f7abe13eb.jpg
    Routes Transferred.....
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    edited October 15
    Hi
    @YamFazMan
    Thanks for your tips and hints.

Re: .ITN routes vs .GPX tracks.

All My Routes saved on the device and in the MDW Route Planner as well are of the ITN type. I don't have any tracks (.GPX type).
    My problem is that the Go 5200 cannot export the .ITN files, therefore I cannot backup My Routes saved on the device. And that's it!

By the way: entering all the cul-de-sacs can be annoying too. There is an example:
    On a planned route home from my friends' mountain residence, I made two stops at BP gas stations.
    Both of these points were created by finding these BP stations on the MDW Route planner among POIs and using the "Add to Route" function.
    MDW Route Planner snaps such points, in a way only known to it, to the nearest(?) road, and here are the effects:

1. The first of these two stops:
    u74zgth5zm6x.jpg
    The green line drafted by me shows the actual entrance to this gas station. On the other hand, the point "<2>", created by Planner, is at the physical dead end of a one-car narrow road where I found myself at 1:30 AM in heavy rain.

2. The second of these two stops:
    klekvxuftkmf.jpg
    OK, I probably wouldn't have a problem with turning back or correcting the track here.

However, my intention was to make both of these stops optional. I would like to miss the second gas station at all if I had refueled my car in the previous point before. Conversely, I would like to bypass the previous station if I decide to drive a little more and refuel on the one further away. But navigation won't let me do that. If I don't take one of these stations, she'll start telling me to come back ("make U-Turn where possible"). And there is no voice command: "skip the next stop", although already four years ago I called for it to be added (Mikko was hosting this forum yet). And my device is placed on the windshield, low above the dashboard, so far in front that I can't use the touchscreen without unfastening my seat belt.

Also pathetic and ridiculous is the lack of the voice command "Answer the call", which makes the so-called hands-free calling illusory (since it is possible to voice dial the subscriber and call him). But both these shortcomings in voice commands are a topic for a separate discussion.

Regards and drive safely
    ATB JM