TomTom Go for ios (2.7.2) crashes in APple Car Play each time that any of the Menu items is clicked — TomTom Community

TomTom Go for ios (2.7.2) crashes in APple Car Play each time that any of the Menu items is clicked

(This is my second time posting this issue. My original posting was, for some reason magically deleted completly)

TomTom GO iOS 2.7.2 Crashes in Carplay each time that it is attempted to access the following:

-Recents
-My Places
-Parking Lot
-Gas Station

As soon any of the mentioned above options is clicked, then TomTom GO iOS 2.7.2 crashes.

The same problem occurs on last few 'newer' Versions of TomTom Go, such as 'TomTom GO 2.7.1.ipa'. However, much 'older' Versions of TomTom, which I still have the old ipa files, do NOT have this problem for Example 'TomTom.GO.2.3.1.ipa' do NOT have this problem.

I have tested this phenomena with iOS 15 (15.0) as well as iOS 15.0.1 and still TomTom crashes in Carplay as just described in this posting.

I have also tested on an older iPhone, 6S Plus which I still have with iOS 13.x installed and the problem is exactly the same. All the latest versions of TomTom Go crash in Carplay just as described already.

I've already attempted to completely delete TomTom and re-installing the app in IOS, however the results are exactly the same. Installing iOS (either 14.8, 15.0 or the latest release as of the time of this posting, namely iOS 15.0.1 have exactly the same results, so this is NOT an iOS problem, but a problem with the TomTom App that crases in Apple Carplay).

If I use TomToom directly from the iPhone, then I'm able to access the above decribed menu options, select one and have TOmTom navigate. So for the time being, the ONLY way I can operate TomTom Go in Carplay is to have already selected the navigation in the iphone, then connect to Apple Carplay, then the navigation will continue in apple car play. As soon as I go in Apple Carplay in the Menu and select any of the above mentioned options, then TOmTom crashes in Apple Carplay (application just closes).

Since I have already tested with several iPhones (6S, 7, 8, as well iPhone 12) as well as several different versions of iOs, from iOS 12.x, 13.x, 14.8 as well as iOS 15.0 and 15.0.1 all having the exact same results showing this issue to be a TomTom Go for iOS Problem with all the latest versions of TomTom Go.

I have saved previous Versions of TomTom Go for iOS, namely I've made a copy of the downloaded *.ipa each time that a 'new' Version was made available through iTunes*.

Update (Oct. 4th, 2021)

As mentioned on my orignal posting, due to also a number of issues with the 'newer' versions of iOS, I have my devices also with different Versions of iOS installed, so the following 'TomTom Go' Versions for iOS have been tested as follows:

'TomTom.GO.2.3.1.ipa'
- Carplay Works without issues (as described on this posting).
-This is also the last Version possible for any Device runnung iOs 12.x (regardless iphone 6S or later Device, ie. iPhone 7, 8, etc)

'TomTom.GO.2.4.0.ipa'
- Carplay Works without crashing in iOS 13.x, iOS 14.x (iphone 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 8, 12 tested, devices are running each different iOS Versions)

'TomTom.GO.2.4.1.ipa'
- Carplay Works without crashing in iOS 13.x, iOS 14.x (iphone 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 8, 12 tested, devices are running each different iOS Versions)

'TomTom.GO.2.5.0.ipa'

'TomTom.GO.2.6.0.ipa'

'TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa'

'TomTom.GO.2.7.0.ipa'
- Will NOT install on iOS 13 - iTunes pops a message indicating that a 'newer' Version of iOS is needed. However, it seems that TomTom decided to remove that requirement for the sub-sequent releases (see below)
(This Version was originally rolled out from TomTom as 'TomTom.GO.2.7.ipa'. When I saved a copy of the *.ipa file (that was downloaded through iTunes), I added the '0' --zero-- afther .7 so that the later versions, namely 1, and 2, etc) will 'sort' nice when looking at the apps in Windows (or Apple PC --though I use Windows--)

'TomTom.GO.2.7.1.ipa'
- Crashes in Carplay as already described on this posting (tested on different iPhones, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 8, 12 all running iOS 13.x and a couple of iPhones running iOS 14.x)

'TomTom.GO.2.7.2.ipa'
- Crashes in Carplay as already described on this posting (tested on different iPhones, 6S, 6S Plus, 7, 8, 12 all running iOS 13.x and a couple of iPhones running iOS 14.x)

As of the time of this posting, I'm no longer running iOS 15.x on any device as the Firmware has simply too many issues and have rolled back to the latest possible iOS 14.x Version to those two devices to which I, unfortunately had updated them to the later Versions of iOS (14.x).

Those devices running iOS 12.x, iOS 13.x as well as the couple I have running iOS 14.x will won't be updated to iOS 15.x Versions the Firmware (ioS) as the 'latest' Versions of iOS (15.x - as of the time of this posting 15.0.1) just is not stable enough for all the other iOS apps to work reliably.

That said, even with the latest iOS 14.x Version, TomTom Go for iOS crashes as already described on this posting.

Since I have the 'older' '*.ipa' versions of TomTom for iOS saved on my PC, then I have 'rolled back' to the 'last' 'stable' Version of TomTom Go for iOS that works on my devices, namely that do not Crash in Apple CarPlay.

Hopefully, TomTom will have their programmers take a look at the issues with their 'latest' Versions releases of TomTOm Go for iOS and 'maybe' one of them will install those version(s) in an Iphone and actually test that works in iOS as well as in Apple Carplay as it should.

(*iTunes 12.6.5.3 - is the 'last' available Version of itunes released by Apple which offers App Management in within itunes, thus that is the Version of itunes I have running, otherwise I would have not been able to manage the iOS *.ipa Apps)

Comments

• lampardlampard Posts: 5,691 Moderator
    Hi @H2CO3HCO3

Welcome to the Community! Let me check this with my team and get back to you. I already have all the details from your post.

Best, lampard
  • H2CO3HCO3H2CO3HCO3 Posts: 12 [Master Explorer]
    HI @lampard, appreciate your following up.
    Once a new Version that has been tested by your development team is ready and this issue has been revolved, thatn let me know. Regards
  • PappadaddyPappadaddy Posts: 1 [New Traveler]
    Hello TomTom community! Good to know I'm not the only one having this problem. Today the TomTomGo App suddenly freezes in Apple Carplay! I hope the TomTom technical people will find a solution for this soon.
    Update as of October 8th 2021:

Tomtom Support has asked me 4 times the same questions over and over again.

4 times in the past few days i've provided with the answers to the same questions which as of the time of this posting are 4 times arelady (exact same questions and exact same answers i've provided each time)

The 'only' solution that i've found:

First Workaround:

-if you are using the 'last' version of TomTom Go for ios ('TomTom.GO.2.7.2.ipa')
    First: before connecting to apple carplay you MUST select the action in TomTom directly in your iphone, THEN
    Second: connect to carplay TomTom will navigate

That said if you click on anything on Carplay TomTOm will freeze first and in my case, it just crashes (tomom closes in carplay)

Second Workaround:

Install an 'older' version of TomTom Go for iOS. The Version of TomTom Go that i've found that works without crashing in CarpLay is 'TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa'

Note that to install an 'older' / previous version of TomTOm Go ('TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa'), you MUST have the *ipa file available/saved in your computer as well as have itunes with app store support still available (as installing TomTom Go directly from the iOS device, whether is iPhone, ipad, etc, will only download the 'last' availble version of TomTom Go directly to the ios device, thus NOT allow to install an 'older' version of TomTOm Go is possible if installing TomTom Go direcly from an iOS device)

'TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa' works without problems, without freezing in apple car play.

For this reason, I've uninstalled 'TomTom.GO.2.7.2.ipa' which as of the time of this post is the 'last' version of TomTom Go for ios, which unfortunaly is defective and causes TomTom To to freeze and crash in Apple CarPlay and installed the 'last' older version of TomTom that works without issues, which is 'TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa'
    m
    Update as of Oct. 12th 2021. After 11 days since I opened a ticket directly with TomTom's Support with regard to the issue described on this post, I have received an acknowledgement from TomTom Support, that their development team has been made aware of the issue with TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.7.2 as described on this post (this issue unfortunately affects the last 3 Versions of TomTom Go for iOs, meaning that TomTom Go Version 2.7.2, TomTom Go Version 2.7.1 and TomTom Go Version 2.7.0 are all affected by the issue as described on this post).

Since there is no ETA, when the issue will be addressed/resolved and a new version of TomTom Go for iOS, the 'best' options are the 2 'Workarounds' that I've previously posted:

Option 1 - least effective:
    -To Those users using an iphone/iOs device directly, meaning directly downloading TomTom Go for iOS from the Apple Appstore have no choices, as the App Store downloads always automatically the 'last' available Version of an app directly to the iOS device. Thus in that case, the 'only' work around is to select the needed actions in TomTom directly on the iOS device BEFORE connecting to Apple Carplay... this option is extremely cumbersome.

Option 2 - most effective:
    To those users that have iTunes with Appstore Support (that would be itTunes Version 12.6.5.3) AND have a saved Version of TomTom Go for ios Version 2.6.1, which is the last Version of TomTom Go that works without problem in Apple CarPlay, then this option to delete TomTom Go 2.7.2 (or TomTom Go 2.7.1, or TomTom 2.7.0) and install insted 'TomTom.GO.2.6.1.ipa' and use that version until such time that TomTom may release a version of TomTom Go for iOS that will correct the mentioned issues, will be the 'best' option as of the time of this posting.
    Update as of Oct. 22nd. 2021
    Unfortunately as of the time of this posting, there is no resolution to the issue of the TomTom Go for iOS app crashing in AppleCarPlay each time that any of the menus in Apple CarPlay is clicked (-Recents, -My Places, -Parking Lot, -Gas Station).

I have opened a Support Ticket directly with TomTom support (since Oct. 2. 2021), in which i not only informed them of the ongoing issue since the last 3 Versions of TomTom Go for ios, namely as of the time of this post, TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.7.0, 2.7.1, and the 'current' Version 2.7.2 as of the time of this posting, but also provided the documentation how they could reproduce the problem (namely the application crashes in apple carplay -application freezes-up for about a second, then crashes- as well as informing TomTom Support of all the steps that I have followed to attempt to trouble shoot the issue (namely uninstalled the app, re-downloaded the app, re-downloaded the needed maps, then re-setting the device completly and re-download TomTom Go for iOS --and all other iOS apps that were deleted due to the iOS device hardware reset, installing the 'latest' Version of iOS --at that point possible to roll back to an earlier Version of iOs, at that time, still 14.x, though with iOS 15.x, ios 13.x the problem is still the same as the issue is NOT with iOS but instead with the TomTom Go app for iOS, that simply since version 2.7.0, the application simply crashes in applecar play when any of the menus available in AppleCar play is clicked (-Recents, -My Places, -Parking Lot, -Gas Station).

Since I've been able to replicate the problem on differents iOs Devices i own, and on those devices even running different iOS versions (ios 13.x, ios 14.x and even the latest ios 15.x version as of the time of this post), I've been able to determine the issue is NOT with iOS, or the iOS device but with the TomTom Go for iOS app. Since I have an older Version of TomTom Go for iOS on my computer, I've been able to install that 'older' version of TomTom Go for iOS, namely Version 2.6.1, which does NOT have that problem, namely Apple CarPlay work without crashing when any of the mentioned menus is clicked.

Unfortunately TomTom Support has to yet provide with an update of the TomTom Go App for iOS that will resolve the crashing issue in Apple CarPlay as of the time of this post. (TomTom Support is 'nice' to post a reply every few days with the basic, 'check for an update, that is coming, we can't say when' type of an answer, which is basically no answer at all).
    Update Oct. 27th, 2021
    Eventhough TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.8 has been released, TomTom Support won't confirm if the issues with Apple CarPlay have been resolved, thus this issue is still on Version 2.8 for TomTom Go for iOS still pending
    Update Nov. 4th, 2021
    TomTom Go for iOS has been released and unfortunately does NOT resolve the issues with Apple Car Play.

Issues are exactly the same as described already. Since I have an 'older' version of TomTom Go for iOS (Version 2.6.1)' I've been able to delete TomTom Go 2.8 and re-install the 'older' version, namely TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.6.1 as I still have the ipa file saved on my computer (using iTunes with App Store support).

As detailed on my previous postings, since TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.7 and later, TomTom Go for iOS freezes up --shortly when any of the available menus in Apple Carplay are clicked-- in Apple Car play and crashes immediately after that when any of the TomTom Menus in Apple Carplay are selected/clicked. This issue occurs on ANY ios device capable of running ios 13.x or ios 14.x or iOS 15.x --though ios 15.x has not been as stable as expected, i have extensively tested with other iphones I have that are running ios 14.x and ios 13.x versions respectively installed, on different iphones varying from iphone X, 8 and 6s Plus. In all cases, once I've installed an 'older' version of TomTom Go for iOS, namely Version 2.6.1 in any of the mentioned devices --running ios 13.x or later-- then TomTom Go for iOS works with out problems in Apple CarPlay - thus this is NOT a problem with the Version of iOS running, or the particular iPhone but the TomTom Go for iOS versions (2.7 or later, including TomTom Go 2.8 as of the time of this posting) themselves, all that since version 2.7 and later simply crash in apple car play -- Worth to note that as long as no menus in apple carplay are clicked, TomTom Go for ios will work in Apple Car play in the sense that it will display/show the map, but the application is useles as once any of the Menus in Apple CarPlay are clicked, then TomTom Go for iOS will crash --freeze up for a second, then crash-- in Apple CarPlay (i've also tested this on several vehicles, all apple car play capable... so is NOT a 'particular' Vehicle Manufacturer, is NOT a particular iPhone and is NOT a particular version of iOS the issue but instead is the Version of TomTom Go for ios, all from Version 2.7 and later that have this issue.

Unfortunately, TomTom Support has not provided with an answer as to when the ongoing issues with Apple CarPlay will be resolved.
    Update Nov 05th, 2021
    TomTom 'Support' Team is interested in closing my open ticket I had opened directly with their team without a solution to the ongoing issues with TomTom Go for iOS.

Basically, TomTom Support is NOT interested in providing support. Instead, they are interested in closing any Support tickets, even without a resolution.

To anyone reading this postings, be aware before you purchase a TomTom product. You WILL NOT BE SUPPORTED.

I would never recommend anyone to purchase a TomTom product.
    This posting is a continuation of my previously unresolved submitted Discussion with regard TomTom Go for iOS Versions

TomTom GO for iOS Version 2.8 Crashes in Carplay each time that it is attempted to access the following:

-Recents
    -My Places
    -Parking Lot
    -Gas Station

As soon any of the mentioned above options is clicked, then TomTom GO iOS 2.8 crashes. This is the same issue I've been having with previous Versions of TomTom Go for iOS, namely since Tomtom Version 2.7, 2.7.1 and 2.7.2

However, much 'older' Versions of TomTom, which I still have the old ipa files, do NOT have this problem for Example 'TomTom GO Version 2.6.1' does NOT have this problem.

I have tested this phenomena with iOS 15 (15.1, 15.0) as well as iOS 15.0.1, iOS 14.x and iOS 13.x on different iPhones (iPhone 6s Plus, 7, 8, 10 all devices running different iOS Versions varying from ios 13.x all the way up to the latest version of iOS 15.x as if the time of this post) and still TomTom crashes in Carplay as just described in this posting.

I've also tested on several Apple CarPlay vehicles, all with the same results.

I've already attempted to completely delete TomTom and re-installing the app in IOS, however the results are exactly the same. Installing iOS has no impact on resolving this issue.

This is an issue with TomTom Go for iOS and NOT an issue with neither iOS, or an especific type of iPhone, or a particular Vechile manufacturer.

I've opened a new Support Ticket directly with TomTom Support. To those users affected, at least you know you are not alone.
    Update Nov 24th, 2021
    TomTom Go for iOS Version 2.8.1 still has the same problem in Apple CarPlay (as already described on this post.
    TomTom Support has to yet provide a resolution to this issue.