Can I Group Favorites? — TomTom Community

Can I Group Favorites?

VXeroVXero Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
OK, I'm a pack rat. I have a long list of favorites from past routes that I'll probably never use, but who knows? It makes it hard to plan a new route, though. I tried grouping my favorites by starting their names with the route, i.e., Ca-LA, Ca-SF, etc., but I still have to scroll down through several pages to get to the route. I also tried starting their names with just "00" so they will appear at the top of the list, i.e., 00-LA, 00-SF, but then when I planned a new route, I'd have to rename all the old route favorites names. The best solution is to layer like Google Maps does (without the exasperating limit to the number of groups), but that would probably take a lot of programming. Is there a way to create a fresh route planner without any favorites so I can create a new route without the favorite's stars scattered all over the place?

Answers

• fergussionfergussion Posts: 150 [Exalted Navigator]
    May be use a different account?
  • VXeroVXero Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    I'm not sure how to do that. Would I need a different email account?
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,278
    Superusers
    edited October 5
    Hi
    @VXero
    Welcome to the site....
    Maybe useful... Many users have asked for the facility to back up their MyPlaces to a PC....
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/1136163/many-users-have-asked-for-the-facility-to-back-up-their-myplaces-to-a-pc

You don't have to search down a long list of My Places on the device, you can of course search the MyPlaces list....
    See Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1727636/#Comment_1727636
    Probably best to read the rest of the linked thread, to understand the 3-Character search limit, and it's shortcoming, when searching the MyPlaces list....

Also see the MyPlaces workaround using Personal .Ov2 POI Category/Categories to replace MyPlaces

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • VXeroVXero Posts: 53 [Renowned Trailblazer]
    Sounds great, but I don't see a 4 dot menu anywhere in Route Planner. What am I missing?
    Superusers
    edited October 5
    Hi
    @VXero
    You haven't stated, the Tomtom device you use ??? But as you are using the MyDrive Web Route planner, I assumed you have a NAV4 or a WiFi Connected device ???
    The 4Dot (.... Menu) is on your NAV4 or a WiFi Connected device...
    My Post refers to the menu structure on your Tomtom….
    You can't change the way the MDW Route planner stores & displays your MyPlaces/Favorites.... But several users have renamed their individual MyPlaces to try to change the order of the Myplaces listing....
    The only way that works for me is to place a underscore character '_' or an exclamation-mark '!' or the like In front of the MyPlace name to force my most used MyPlaces to the top of the MyPlace listings

Note... The new, GO Discover, does not support 3rd party or personal POI categories....

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • JacaMaJacaMa Posts: 45 [Renowned Wayfarer]
    I really miss being able to organize My Favorite Places into subdirectories (subfolders), as it was possible, e.g. in Navigator on PDAs, which Tom Tom stopped supporting sometime in 2006 or 2007. I wonder why this can't work the same way on modern Tom Tom navigation devices, or even on the Tom Tom MyDrive Route Planner (PC).
    The way to group My Places into categories by converting them into .OV2 files and importing them back into MyDrive Route Planner works but has the following disadvantages:
    1. The defined places are not visible on the map on the device until you start searching for them in a particular category (which for those who have trouble with too many points shown on the map will be an advantage).
    2. My Places that have been imported in an .OV2 file are not shown on the MyDrive Route Planner map (PC), and I have not found a way to show them.
    3. Places that have been imported in an .OV2 file cannot be edited in any way from the navigation device (neither their name nor their location), and even less so from the Mydrive Route Planner (on a PC).
    4. You cannot add any place to a POI category that has been imported as an .OV2 file or delete any place from there from the navigation device (and from the Mydrive Route Planner - on a PC - as well)..
    5. If you named any My (your) Places in your native language, using diacritical fonts appropriate for it (such as, for example, me: in Polish), and these names looked correct on the map of your device, be aware that after importing the .OV2 file created from them this can change a lot for the worse, so you'd better name them in advance using some Western language (preferably in English, at least for me, and for me it's not a problem, apart from having to do some extra work).
    6. Some imported places are snapped to the nearest road despite as the original My Places they were apart of road (this is, I guess, the least issue).
    7. The only way to edit places and the content of place categories you have created is to re-edit the .OV2 files on PC using TomTomPOI.exe and re-import these files. The Place names in an .OV2 file can even be changed using a simple text editor like Notepad. To add new places, however, you must first define them as My Places in the navigation device, or in MyDrive Route Planner (on a PC), then download your MyDrive data and save them as a .json.gz file to be able to import it into the program. TomTomPOI.exe and copy the new points to the appropriate .OV2 file, then re-import this file into MyDrive Route Planner.
    Whew, a bit of work, but for those who have a lot of My Places defined, it is probably worthwhile.

Drive safely.
    ATB JM
    Unfortunately, I have to correct two items from my former post:

1. As per item 1. - The places in .OV2 files that were converted from My Places using the TomTomPOI.exe program have the same point IDs as the original My Places points, therefore they are not shown on the devices map until their originals are deleted. The original My Places are shown instead. After deleting their originals from My Places, points in created categories become visible on the device map, as long as these categories have the status "Show" set in the appearance settings.

5. As per item 5. - Unfortunately, not everything can be translated into the Western language. The diacritical fonts typical of the originals are also used in the names of towns and streets. I wonder what the voice selection of the destination will look like after such import.

6. As per item 6. - Places from created categories are snapped to the neared roads only when we select them from the list within the categories. If we just look on the map, they are placed accordingly to their coordinates (i.e. they may be apart of road, as they were defined), providing that their categories have the status "Show" set in the appearance settings.

ATB JM
    Superusers
    edited October 5
    Hi
    @JacaMa
    JacaMa wrote: »
    (1)... The defined places are not visible on the map on the device until you start searching for them in a particular category (which for those who have trouble with too many points shown on the map will be an advantage).
    Displaying Personal POIs on the Driving View/Map
    Be aware... You can't install the POI associated .BMP files
    You can only use the 5 Tomtom supplied generic Icons....
    For More Info, See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1730281/#Comment_1730281
    (2)... My Places that have been imported in an .OV2 file are not shown on the MyDrive Route Planner map (PC), and I have not found a way to show them.
    Convert the .Ov2 file to .GPX file... Upload/install the GPX file to MyDrive Web Route planner....
    c6ftytv2ofuz.jpg
    From the MDW Route planer --> MyRoutes... Click on & run the required GPX file... DO NOT calculate the route....
    The individual POIs will display as Stops....
    (3)... Places that have been imported in an .OV2 file cannot be edited in any way from the navigation device (neither their name nor their location), and even less so from the Mydrive Route Planner (on a PC).
    Use a POI editing software on your PC... For example, POI editor or ITN Converter....
    (4)... You cannot add any place to a POI category that has been imported as an .OV2 file or delete any place from there from the navigation device (and from the Mydrive Route Planner - on a PC - as well).
    Use a POI editing software on your PC....
    (5)... If you named any My (your) Places in your native language, using diacritical fonts appropriate for it (such as, for example, me: in Polish), and these names looked correct on the map of your device, be aware that after importing the .OV2 file created from them this can change a lot for the worse, so you'd better name them in advance using some Western language (preferably in English, at least for me, and for me it's not a problem, apart from having to do some extra work).
    Good tip....
    (6)... Some imported places are snapped to the nearest road despite as the original My Places they were a part of road (this is, I guess, the least issue).
    I've not experienced this problem ??? Maps by other Manufactures may vary when compared to each other, where the imported files generated using Tomtom Maps ???
    (7)... The only way to edit places and the content of place categories you have created is to re-edit the .OV2 files on PC using TomTomPOI.exe and re-import these files. The Place names in an .OV2 file can even be changed using a simple text editor like Notepad. To add new places, however, you must first define them as My Places in the navigation device, or in MyDrive Route Planner (on a PC), then download your MyDrive data and save them as a .json.gz file to be able to import it into the program. TomTomPOI.exe and copy the new points to the appropriate .OV2 file, then re-import this file into MyDrive Route Planner.
    Whew, a bit of work, but for those who have a lot of My Places defined, it is probably worthwhile.
    Using the MyDrive Web Route planner, you can download/save a existing .Ov2 file.... For editing on a PC....
    bo5mj3wovp78.jpg
    As far as I'm aware, you can only download/save a .json.gz file you can't upload/install a .json.gz file to the MDW Route planner ???
    See... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1781263/#Comment_1781263

Using the MyDrive Web Route planner, you can Upload/Install an .Ov2 file.... Say from another source or after editing/updating an existing file....

7jir0gpjvmn6.jpg
    Stay Safe ATB YFM
    Hi
    @YamFazMan

Thank you for your response.

I think that I have corrected items 1., 5. and 6. from my primary post in the second one.

Unfortunately, my Tom Tom Route Planner in the My Routes section does allow import only the .GPX files that contain tracks. Import of the file that I converted from .OV2 to .GPX (as an exercise, using TomTomPOI.exe), and that contains only Points of Interest, was rejected by Route Planner.
    znda13ho37jv.jpg

And if I tried to import that .GPX file in My Places, Route Planner also rejected it:
    jy1bpmcvldra.jpg

I'd need to see the points from my own groups (from imported .OV2 files) on the MDW Route Planner Map in order to plan a route on it. This means: BEFORE the route is calculated/drafted, not after it, as it would be after I import the .GPX file with already planned route.

Besides: I don't know, how to create the .GPX file with the route made from e.g, all Medical Universities and their Hospitals, and their Parking Lots POI in Poland, from my .OV2 created group on my Go 5200, before driving such crazy route, in order to transfer the .GPX file to my PC, and then: in order to import this file into the MDW Route Planner. And I can't see any "Do Not Calculate" position at the .GPX file import, then if I'd cancel that crazy route imported, my "waypoints" would go away.

It does not change my primary issue: I miss the possibility of grouping My Favorite Places into my own subdirectories (subfolders) on the GPS device during their definition in My Places. It was possible, e.g. in Navigator on PDAs. Perhaps the problem would be with synchronization between the MDW Route Planner and my device (and between my device and my TT account).

Drive safely
    ATB JM
    Superusers
    edited October 6
    Hi
    @JacaMa
    Re... GPX Tracks....
    You can create a .GPX Track from the Place names and the Coordinates of a .Ov2 file
    I use the Free, slightly quirky, but very good....
    ITN Converter....POI Editor & Route planner....
    ITN Converter/Route planner has a huge number of Map types The Tomtom Routes Map is included, the ITN Converter also Saves/Exports a huge number of route file types....
    More Info Here... https://discussions.tomtom.com/en/discussion/comment/1779741/#Comment_1779741

ITN Converter will also export straight to.....
    Tomtom Home...
    Tomtom MyDrive Web Route planner
    Tomtom itinerary (.ITN)
    Tomtom POI (.Ov2)

Re... GPX Tracks....
    Use file type... Garmin Zumo .GPX BaseCamp (GPX)
    To save the .GPX Track file...
    Method….
    Drag & Drop your .Ov2 file into the ITN Converter window
    Export the file as Garmin Zumo .GPX BaseCamp (GPX) to your Desktop
    Upload the .GPX Track into the MDW Route planner
    Click on the required .GPX Track
    The 'Stops' for the .GPX Track will appear on the MDW Route planner
    DO NOT Click 'Finish Route'

jh3sgxkc64qd.jpg

Right-Click on a displayed 'Stop' for the options available in the MDW Route planner....
    242191navwvp.jpg
    Stay Safe... ATB YFM
    Hi
    @YamFazMan
    Many thanks for your advice.
    Re.Re. .GPX tracks...
    I will try that way.
    Regards & ATB
    JM