GO 620 crashes on trying to open the menu (factory reset does not help / bricked.) — TomTom Community

GO 620 crashes on trying to open the menu (factory reset does not help / bricked.)

I have a GO 620. Yesterday I ran a software update which brought it up to the latest version. The device was functioning fine for a while, until I tried re-arranging icons on the main menu. At some point the device seemed to crash and restarted. After the restart, I'm now unable to open the main menu at all:
  1. While sitting on the home screen, press the ".... Menu" button.
  2. Device screen dims and goes black.
  3. Screen stays black for a few seconds.
  4. The map appears to reload and I'm back right on the home screen again.
  5. If I press the ".... Menu" button again, it just repeats and I can't open the menu.

I can still scroll around the map, zoom in / out and it shows where I am - but I just can't get into the menu or do anything, so the device is useless.

I tried a factory reset - twice - using the instructions from this page - it was tricky to get that to work, but I eventually managed to put the device in recovery mode, connect to my PC and reinstall the firmware. But after successfully updating, restarting and accepting the initial data privacy prompts - I get the same result as above, I still can't open the main menu.

If I had to guess, I'm speculating that some on-device configuration got corrupt when it crashed and a factory reset doesn't actually erase this corrupt configuration.

What should I do next? How to proceed from here to get my device working again?
Tagged:

Answers

• YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,273
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ChrisC3k
    Welcome to the site....
    Do you have a Micro SDHC memory cart installed ??? If 'Yes' try removing the Memory card...

Stay Safe... ATB YFM
  • ChrisC3kChrisC3k Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    Hi @YamFazMan, thanks for your response.

No, there is no MicroSD card in the device.

I've discovered that I can still use navigation if I long-press on the map to select a destination - but whenever I press the menu button, it still crashes immediately so it's not really usable.
  • YamFazManYamFazMan Posts: 20,273
    Superusers
    Hi
    @ChrisC3k
    Have you tried a Soft/Drum roll restart on the device ??? This restarts the devices Operating System afresh

RESETTING YOUR NAVIGATION DEVICE
    https://help.tomtom.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360013957499-Resetting-your-navigation-device
    Charge the device for at least 2Hrs….
    (Preferably using something like a Smartphone Charger using the Tomtom USB lead)
    OR have the device plugged into a power supply while the device is restarting
    Press and hold the on/off button until you hear a drum-roll sound then release the on/off button.
    You won’t lose anything; it’s just like rebooting your PC
    I use a Soft/drum-roll start after any upgrade large or small.
    It’s also useful to keep in mind for sorting out most minor niggles....

Stay safe... ATB YFM
  • ChrisC3kChrisC3k Posts: 3 [Apprentice Seeker]
    @YamFazMan - that was the first thing I tried. I've tried resetting multiple times, including using that method. Power off, power back on, drum-roll restart. And when nothing worked, a system restore and full software update to the current version (which I tried twice.) I took several hours to try every troubleshooting approach I could find documented.

Restarting the device, resetting the device, restoring the device - none of it makes any difference. It still crashes when I press the Menu button.
  • malcs3malcs3 Posts: 14 [Legendary Explorer]
    I have a problem that my Go Premium continually freezes then restarts over and over. I found that if i turn the My Drive syncing OFF on the device then it sorts out the problem. But it means I cannot connect to the My Drive app on my phone!! And the reply I keep getting is to try a new account....which means I lose all my stored places etc. 3 of my friends have exactly the same issue. TomTom need to correct the issue with a software update, as it is not my account that's faulty but the software. My device works perfectly if the syncing to MyDrive is OFF