How do I transfer the favorites from my VIA 1510 to GO app on my iPhone? — TomTom Community

How do I transfer the favorites from my VIA 1510 to GO app on my iPhone?

ShelahShelah Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
My account for my TomTom Via 1510 uses a different email address than my account for the TomTom GO app on my iPhone, but I'd like to transfer my old favorites to the iPhone app. Can I do it by importing the .ov2 favorites file from my TomTom Via into the iPhone app? If so, how can I do it? If that's not the right way to do it, what is?

Best Answer

• ShelahShelah Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for the straight answer. Considering your huge installed base that have used legacy units and might want to move to the more convenient phone app, you might consider making this a requirement in future revs.

Here is the reason I want to move to my phone app: I live in a cold climate where suction to a windshield is not reliable, and I don't want to cement my unit where it will interrupt my vision and also be impossible to take into the house to update. So I affix it to the weighted base, which sits on the dashboard. Many times over the years I've almost gotten into accidents because the base slides off the dashboard, hitting controls on the steering wheel and tangling by my feet, or because the TomTom Via's suction cup comes undone from the base and the unit falls off; that can happen every few minutes in cold weather and it's winter here in Maine for half the year. I have a mount for my cell phone so the cell does not move. Since your company offers a phone app for navigation, I had tried to switch over to using the phone app but I find it's no substitute. First, when I input an address to go to, the phone app can never find it. I figured out yesterday the phone app totally works off contacts but that's not adequate. Most of the times when I drive somewhere I need navigation, it's some place I've never been, that would not be in my contacts. So the phone app does not even compete with the free Google Maps for utility.

I was a software engineer for 25 years and I understand how engineers and customers may never get close enough to share information; all communication is through with project managers. So please pass this along to your project managers.

Answers

• Willy875Willy875 Posts: 2,924 [Exalted Pioneer]
    No, it's not going to be possible.
  • ShelahShelah Posts: 2 [New Seeker]
    Accepted Answer
    Thanks for the straight answer. Considering your huge installed base that have used legacy units and might want to move to the more convenient phone app, you might consider making this a requirement in future revs.

Here is the reason I want to move to my phone app: I live in a cold climate where suction to a windshield is not reliable, and I don't want to cement my unit where it will interrupt my vision and also be impossible to take into the house to update. So I affix it to the weighted base, which sits on the dashboard. Many times over the years I've almost gotten into accidents because the base slides off the dashboard, hitting controls on the steering wheel and tangling by my feet, or because the TomTom Via's suction cup comes undone from the base and the unit falls off; that can happen every few minutes in cold weather and it's winter here in Maine for half the year. I have a mount for my cell phone so the cell does not move. Since your company offers a phone app for navigation, I had tried to switch over to using the phone app but I find it's no substitute. First, when I input an address to go to, the phone app can never find it. I figured out yesterday the phone app totally works off contacts but that's not adequate. Most of the times when I drive somewhere I need navigation, it's some place I've never been, that would not be in my contacts. So the phone app does not even compete with the free Google Maps for utility.

I was a software engineer for 25 years and I understand how engineers and customers may never get close enough to share information; all communication is through with project managers. So please pass this along to your project managers.